Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: East Palestine, Ohio  (Read 1918 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: East Palestine, Ohio
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 03:34:21 pm »

An article from last year might be indicative.

(1,704 derailments per year, it states. Of any severity. It is comparing the "four deaths a year" against the comparatively huge number of road-traffic deaths to say how passenger trains aren't anywhere near as bad. Though could really have gone into "deaths per vehicle-miles", or somesuch, if it had cared to. That'd be an interesting comparison.)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 05:46:12 pm »

There was a second derailment in Enoree South Carolina Monday morning. Not as serious but still a second one so soon? I wouldn't have paid any attention if not for the earlier one. Makes you wonder how many of these things slip past unnoticed.
What is the statistic, how many derailments occur in the USA per year?

A casual look says 1704 derailments per year on average between 1990-2021.

On average just 4 people died per year in train derailments in that same time, but to my knowledge US trains are more for cargo than people so that's not surprising.

So it's a fairly routine occurrence provided the cardo isn't dangerous.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 04:12:31 am »

That's a lot of derailments a year, you'd think they'd do something to decrease that number over time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 07:16:43 am »

I suspect that include incident of any severity and cause (involving crossroad collusions with cars) still roughly 4 derailments a day give us a little perspective.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 08:59:03 am »

I suspect that include incident of any severity and cause (involving crossroad collusions with cars) still roughly 4 derailments a day give us a little perspective.
It explicitly says as such, in the article that it looks like both of us quoted.

I tried to find equivalent figures for, say, UK railways (to then adjust by relative track-milage). But the closest I got was something on fatalities from rail (I think it was something like "0.2 per year", and generally decreasing in the last few decades[1], and only that high due to various multi-fatality single incidents in some years). I couldn't find any "any severity/any cause" incident figures, but non-fatal yet significant events do make the news because it has affected passengers, often as not, even if only as knock-on effects.

[1] Not even covering the obvious recent anti-blip there'll have been.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 10:41:34 pm »

So the reporter that was arrested for being too loud at a press conference and refusing to leave... was a bit different than advertised.

“My office has reviewed the relevant video and documentary evidence and is dismissing the charges against Evan Lambert as unsupported by sufficient evidence,” Yost said in a press release. “While journalists could conceivably be subject to criminal charges for trespassing in some situations, this incident is not one of them. The reporter was lawfully present at a press conference called by the Governor of the state. His conduct was consistent with the purpose of the event and his role as a reporter.”

And some new footage here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 10:42:47 pm »

Watch the video, don't click the spoiler till you do
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 10:57:42 pm »

The chemical decomposes rapidly and will, in its post-burn quantities, will remove itself within 2 weeks. Wildlife will die off during this time but it's not a permanent poisoning.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 10:59:00 pm »

The chemical decomposes rapidly and will, in its post-burn quantities, will remove itself within 2 weeks. Wildlife will die off during this time but it's not a permanent poisoning.
What about the surviving wildlife that eats the dead wildlife?
Or the dead wildlife that decomposes?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2023, 11:28:34 pm »

What about the surviving wildlife that eats the dead wildlife?
Or the dead wildlife that decomposes?
The chemical will decompose within the bodies too-- yes there will be dieoffs from those things too but it won't stay forever.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 04:53:08 am »

A chemical so deadly that it kills everything even itself, what a strange world we find ourselves in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 06:41:49 am »

Hmmm... [citation needed]

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2023, 05:15:28 pm »

Hmmm... [citation needed]

Have the EPA. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://semspub.epa.gov/work/05/437069.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj90IuthKD9AhVmJkQIHeI-D0IQFnoECB8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1mEWCjk6kPzM3YUTRIAE2h

It is very volatile in water, evaporates with a half-life of up to 0.5 days. Once in air it decomposes with a half-life of about 1.5 days.

All the justifiable concerns about poor regulations  seems to have precipitated some fearmongering about this particular incident. I've heard people saying vinyl chloride is one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man (not even close). Same with the armchair detectives saying how the balloon reporting is about distracting from this when literally everyone is talking about this and it's everywhere.

I will say I'm not an environmental scientist. Also I'm not sure how the fact it was burnt changes the calculus, burning chlorinated stuff can make nasty stuff sometimes. It is true burning vinyl chloride is likely to make acidic HCl gas accounting for the feelings of burning in eyes & mucous membranes that have been reported but that is not a persistent pollutant. The most concerning thing that can result from the burning seems to be phosgene gas. It is unclear how much was made but it is very plausible that it is not significant as environmental air monitors have been reported to placate concerns.

EDIT: Did some more digging. Phosgene is a minor combustion product of vinyl chloride: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0002889718506429 . Phosgene and carbon monoxide products are acutely highly toxic but are also gaseous, dispersing in the atmosphere.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:59:41 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 [2]