Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: East Palestine, Ohio  (Read 1921 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
East Palestine, Ohio
« on: February 13, 2023, 06:28:54 am »

What is going on there? Reports of a Vinyl Chlorine seeping into the environment everywhere, after somesort of derailment?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: East Palestine, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 07:18:01 am »

Poor maintenance of railway, train derailed, the government did a controlled burn. There are people seriously overblowing the impact but it's still a catastrophe.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 08:41:39 am »

The damage is theoretically going to come from the gas given off by burning the vinyl chloride. I know some animals have died, but mostly birds who are very vulnerable to airborne toxins. Byproducts are supposed to be Hydrogen Chloride gas, which turns to acid when it contacts water like the fluid in the lungs or eyes, and phosgene, which was used as a weapon in WW1 because it's toxic and heavier than air so it pools in depressions which made it great for filling up trenches.

No idea what quantities of either gas are going to be like, small amounts of either are mostly harmless, not pleasant or safe but mild exposure won't cause severe health problems, but I wouldn't want to be in an area of low ground downwind of the burn.

Train company is going to face one doozy of a lawsuit regardless of anyone getting sick though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 10:12:35 am »

In addition to the dead birds, there have been deaths of fish in nearby waters and small mammal (e.g. cats, foxes) dying.

Note that there still isn't a full list of what all was present/spilled. Vinyl chloride was the primary one, but there were others. Some recent local reporting is citing new EPA documents saying ethyl glycol monobutyl ether, ethylhexyl acrylate, and isobutylene. I.e. other carcinogens.

People are being advised to wipe their homes down with diluted bleach when (if) they return, which gives a sense of the situation. Federal and state authorities are (in my opinion) downplaying the risks. I wouldn't call it a 'new Chernobyl' like some on twitter are saying, but it may well be the ruin of the town.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 10:26:49 am »

Could be useful to leave a link to the news, for those of us who are lazy and don't know where there even is? ( Ohio is in the category of states I know nothing about except that is not Detroit )

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:29:20 am by jipehog »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 11:21:16 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Ohio_train_derailment#Derailment
The trains were not equipped with electronically controlled pneumatic brakes, which a former Federal Railroad Administration official said would have reduced the severity of the accident.[7] In 2017, Norfolk Southern had successfully lobbied to have regulations requiring their use on trains carrying hazardous materials repealed.[7]
Pretty messed up that the operator, Norfolk Southern, helped remove regulations.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 02:52:15 pm »

Pretty messed up that the operator, Norfolk Southern, helped remove regulations.
Well, if by messed up, you also mean "completely expected". Safety regs like that, you don't lobby against unless you expect you'd actually need them and don't want to pay, eventual disaster be damned. This is what would reasonably be called malice aforethought, were the courts just.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 04:36:43 am »

Sounds like you could go out there and have your very own WW1 like experience, bet there are people out there that'd pay money for that kind of thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 06:20:09 am »

This entire situation is a disaster of epic proportions.. and barely any news is being made about this. You can tell a big coverup is being formed around this East Palestine derailment.

How come Joe Biden hasn't even made a single statement on this? Why isn't there any comment from the Press Secretary?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 07:32:34 am »

There was a second derailment in Enoree South Carolina Monday morning. Not as serious but still a second one so soon? I wouldn't have paid any attention if not for the earlier one. Makes you wonder how many of these things slip past unnoticed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 09:26:42 am »

There was a second derailment in Enoree South Carolina Monday morning. Not as serious but still a second one so soon? I wouldn't have paid any attention if not for the earlier one. Makes you wonder how many of these things slip past unnoticed.

Bingo.

This one only grabbed headlines because they shot a movie nearby.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 10:52:21 am »

Bingo.

This one only grabbed headlines because they shot a movie nearby.

White Noise

Part of the movie deals with a small town evacuating after a train derailment unleashes a toxic cloud in a case of reality mirroring art
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 12:49:37 pm »

It's almost like someone or something is trying to tell us something.......
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 01:00:32 pm »

It's almost like someone or something is trying to tell us something.......

Eh, this just seems more like emergent phenomena to me, not anything intentional.

Basically "Hey, the laws of physics exist - you get the inevitable result of the physical systems you create."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 01:56:16 pm »

What is the statistic, how many derailments occur in the USA per year?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 02:12:27 pm by jipehog »
Pages: [1] 2