Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest Steam version: found an 81 level tall cavern under my fort.  (Read 1895 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile

Is this usual?

It's not the Circus. I think it's the second and third cavern layers, fused together.

Also, there's a big spike of obsidian studded with precious gems sticking up into that huge cavern.

I've heard a few rumors about these puppies. Do not open 'til Armokmass.
Never pet a burning dog.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Steam version: found an 81 level tall cavern under my fort.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 03:34:49 pm »

Just to mention a few benchmarks:

Ground-level in my location is at level +49.

The roof of the huge underground cavern is at level -14 (so... 63 levels below ground level).

The bottom of the huge cavern (filled with water, at that point) is at level -95.
Never pet a burning dog.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 05:36:07 pm »

Seems a bit tall.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 05:41:27 pm »

Seems a bit tall.

It's not very wide, either. It mostly fits on a single screen.

So in 3-D the cavern is shaped almost like a missile silo.
Never pet a burning dog.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 05:51:36 pm »

Sounds like a deep pit, I've run into them in adventure mode, and they do connect two cavern layers. There's that kind and there can also be ones connecting goblin pits to the caverns.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 06:11:43 pm »

If it was a deep pit, he would have gotten a notification that it was discovered.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 06:15:48 pm »

If it was a deep pit, he would have gotten a notification that it was discovered.

I got only two notifications : one referring to "an unusual gem-studded volcanic wall", and one announcing the discovery of Adamantine.
Never pet a burning dog.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 07:46:00 pm »

Sounds like a deep pit, I've run into them in adventure mode, and they do connect two cavern layers. There's that kind and there can also be ones connecting goblin pits to the caverns.

I forgot about those.  I've found a few, they're not always present in embarks like caverns are, but, like the name implies, are deep pits.  Several tiles wide, they do resemble missile silos in shape.  My memory is a bit hazy on them, but I thought there was a special announcement when they're discovered.  Afterward however, there's no indication other than their silo-like form.  Maybe the announcement of it being more than just a cavern expired and you missed it?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 07:55:45 pm »

I have had caverns like that. Rather inconvenient if one intended to have the fortress be sub-caverns, but interesting in their own way. Mine usually have stalactites and stalagmites, so not so much straight missile silo as pillared missile silo.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 08:16:12 pm »

I have had caverns like that. Rather inconvenient if one intended to have the fortress be sub-caverns, but interesting in their own way. Mine usually have stalactites and stalagmites, so not so much straight missile silo as pillared missile silo.

I always have the openness set to 100 and density to 0, so I've never gotten stalactites nor stalagmites, but plenty of underground grazing and farmland.  The pits do make forgotten beasts more of a threat in that they can traverse them between cavern layers instead of remaining isolated in the layer in which they've spawned.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 12:27:52 pm »

I had something similar using high openness on a mountain embark. Annoying because little flat ground.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 05:42:25 pm »

I had something similar using high openness on a mountain embark. Annoying because little flat ground.
Little flat ground yet
Miners, to work!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 08:27:31 pm »

Not that unusual, not even in the new version. The fort I've been playing lately doesn't have a straight drop of any significant height, but the second cavern is dome shaped, with the map edges much lower down than the center. I've also encountered one recently where the cavern was a tall hill going from a high point in the south to a deep valley lake in the north, with cliffs some 5-6 stories tall and the total difference from top to bottom being about 40 z-levels.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ghostofferretpast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 06:39:11 am »

This is caused by the way the world gen handles oceans. If your world has an ocean, then it will randomly select one geological layer and then extend it around 80 z-levels. If the layer selected is a cavern, then voila, 80 z level cavern. You can increase the odds of this happening by making a world that is very shallow (minimum layers between caverns). And if you don't want it, increase the levels between caverns will decrease the odds of it happening.