Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The end-all God of adventure mode?  (Read 1560 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The end-all God of adventure mode?
« on: June 29, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

Well after a year of adventuring on my human (year in game time), i had become legendary in shield using, armor using, wrestling, throwing, sneaking, and swordsmanship. I had near-maxed stats (ultra mighty, unbelievably agile, superhumanly tough). I was wearing full iron and 2 layers of iron chain since i couldnt find any adamantine or steel and i was moving around at a speed of 1500 something.

However, despite having slain dragons and slaughtering entire goblin forts single handedly.. i was brought down by a single arrow from an elite kobold archer through the chest. It wasn't like a hail of arrows coming from other archers simultaneously, it was a one on one, i snuck up on him, he spotted me, and shot me, from 1 square away.

I trained rigorously to become the greatest warrior that the game would permit without using exploits or cheating, and yet i was still defeated in a one on one which makes me wonder;

-Is- there such a level of perfection as an undefeatable warrior that one can train to without cheating?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The end-all God of adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that an arrow through the heart will kill anyone, even an unbelievably tough warrior can't survive a pierced heart. You can get so good that you can deflect every blow and get good armour to lower damage that most of it doesn't matter but a spear or arrow can still kill you. The game sucks and rules in that way.

[ June 29, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

What Pnx said.

You can be in a full set of adamantium armor and wear adamanitum clothes, and be legendary in every weapon and armor skill, but having those items equiped only reduces the chances of being killed.
... A shot through the heart, brain, or loss of a limb (especially the loss of a limb) is always going to be perminately crippling and ultimately lead to your death.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

Did you use a shield? They help a lot from arrow fire...

...I suppose the only way to become closer to that goal would be total mastery with a ranged weapon AND throwing for emergencies. While also being extremely fast; 1818 I'd say.

The idea is, everything dies before it can attack you, you can't die.

By cheating, I suppose you could mod in a race of people that don't have critical spots like hearts and lungs, and give them a tag so they don't NEED them either. But when you get to cheating, it's just easy.

I *like* that nobody is totally invincible. I really do! Even the most legendary warrior MIGHT just die in one lucky hit, and I love that. The only thing that bothers me, is that the lucky hit almost HAS to be from an arrow. I'd like it if other attacks, perhaps like a giant trying to crush you, also had a chance of a critcal insta-kill. As is, if you have all iron armor and several layers, with a shield, that will almost never happen, ever.

*EDIT!* Almost forgot. Although if enemies can eventually grapple in more interesting ways, getting your eyes torn out would be the equivalent. Also, Toady considered having advanced wrestling moves for very strong creatures, like simply tearing somebody in half, or throwing them good distances. If I recall correctly... don't quote me on it.

I think it would be great if, you, with all of your heavy iron armor, simply got picked up by a dragon or titan and thrown into a pit or lava. That'd be scary and epic. The dragon bites you, but the iron blocks it. The dragon breathes fire, but you turn it away with your shield. Frustrated, the dragon just picks you up and swallows you, or just drops you off a ledge.

[ June 29, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

The Hidden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »

Even if your character was godly enough to dodge, block, resist everything and kills like everything in the world.  Has all legendary skills and everything.

Eventually, as years pass (and if you're a Fortress mode addict), I'm sure he'll die from old age.

hat''s it for now.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

I left this part out, but i guess i should have mentioned it. I was more than prepared to hurl one of the many deadly assorted items i had at that kobold elite marksman, but i had grown so weary of easy kills from throwing spears into people, i wasn't being safe at all and i ran right at him with a sword and didn't expect him to be so ready from 1 space away..

I suppose it IS possible to be undefeatable, but only if your a coward and hide in the shadows shooting bows and throwing rocks. I should have restated my question to be 'is it possible to be undefeatable, without cheats, but still an honorable warrior'.

I took a calculated risk giving my position away when i could have just as easily shot him, i just didn't think it was going to happen.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
'is it possible to be undefeatable, without cheats, but still an honorable warrior'
Assuming you have several adamantium layers and always manage to be within a few tiles of an enemy (never caught in the open) maybe.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

Well it seems that the enemies can't predict where you are going to be next so if you just run at bowmen in a zig zag then you should be able to get to them without being shot.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>... A shot through the heart, brain, or loss of a limb (especially the loss of a limb) is always going to be perminately crippling and ultimately lead to your death.</STRONG>

why.. why do i hear Jon Bon Jovi?

Shot through the heart,
and your brain
Dwarfling you give limbs
a bad maim

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

omfg, puke, you made my day =p (tells you how crappy my day is!)