Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Delta Pavonis C - Exploitation, Turn 2 (new players welcome)  (Read 8181 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Pavonis C - Exploitation, Turn 2 (new players welcome)
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2023, 08:21:11 pm »

Nigel: Please let us know if (and what) you tell the crew about your suspicions about the Pteroleons.
I think they're smart enough to want to use us towards their own ends. Sounds like regular diplomacy.
They appear to be interested in our human expertise at blowing things up.

Sulfur has a distinctive smell, which he might recognize if there's more nearby. Assuming we have some as part of our rares, I'll show Daedalus a small sample of sulfur and use pictures and gestures to try to show that we can use it as part of the explosion making process, but don't have much. Maybe there's a natural deposit nearby, or even some sulfuric springs.
I don't know how much you'll let me do as a free action, but I'd also like to use photos of explosions and the Lorelei to see if Daedalus wants us to explode the Lorelei. (I'm pretty sure he wants us to explode the Lorelei.) He might however not want us to anger it it unless we have a sure kill OR if we merely hurt it and then take the full blame ourselves, but that's not a distinction I expect to know enough of his body language be able to figure out.

As the xenologist, I have no +social suggestions on resource exploitation at this time, but feel that linguistics would be a very good use for the next research turn.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:43:47 pm by Nirur Torir »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2023, 01:42:36 am »

Next time, I'll show him photos from around our camp, and of myself. I want to try to see if there's some recognition of what a photo is. In a future turn, after bringing it up with my colleagues, I might try to teach him what the drone is, and that we see what it sees.
Ahh, I am sorry! I completely forgot about this. I´ll explain it by saying that Daedalus hasn´t shown up much last phase, it happens.

I don't know how much you'll let me do as a free action, but I'd also like to use photos of explosions and the Lorelei to see if Daedalus wants us to explode the Lorelei. (I'm pretty sure he wants us to explode the Lorelei.) He might however not want us to anger it it unless we have a sure kill OR if we merely hurt it and then take the full blame ourselves, but that's not a distinction I expect to know enough of his body language be able to figure out.
As a general rule, if you want to do something absolutely trivial like showing Daedalus pictures of your own camp, yeah you can do that as a `free action´, meaning that it doesn´t change the difficulty of the roll. What you mention here is on the edge of that category, I have to think about it. In any case, it is best if you could add personal actions to the votebox. It helps to remind me and it ensures that you have the consent of the rest of the group.

At some points I´ve taken some liberty in writing up what your characters do during the turn. If you ever feel your character wouldn't do or say something I made them, please do let me know.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2023, 10:23:19 am »

Wow, so much exciting stuff there.

Turo: you get to name your tunnel.
"Oh, ah, in my head it's just been 'the Forest Tunnel' so far. Not sure what else we'd want to call it since there isn't a named destination on either end yet. We've not even formally named our landing site, or colony."

The best Turo's come up with for a local site name is 'Plymouth Rock' from an old Earth story and the rocky place where we landed. Might be apocryphal, or one of those where all the settlers disappeared? Maybe not the best omen.

-----

I take it the 'tunnel' is roughly proportional on the map? If so, that's quite the cavern; we could fit a decent size settlement in there without worrying so much about building roofs. Something to think about for the future.

Sandstone is very good, much better than shale for building blocks. We still probably need to get timber going first to build transport, cranes, scaffolding... but a quarry there could supply our foreseeable stonework needs. Quartz and rubies I don't have an immediate use for but give me time in the databanks to refresh my memory about their properties and I'm sure there will be something. At the least, rubies are quite high on the hardness scale; perhaps I can experiment with ruby-coated tools in lieu of industrial diamonds.

I can't help but notice the striders appear to have curious and possibly friendly minds, too. Not my department so I don't know what it takes, but taming some local wildlife would go a long way toward easing the labor shortage.

-----

I'm still committed to expanding the farmland this phase by Exploiting some of the soil from the forest and wetlands. I should let Grace chime in on that.

I will point out that if we locate the fields near the stream – even if it means hewing basins for them like we did for the base site aqueduct – then we can use a simple water dipper for irrigation.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 10:26:28 am by mightymushroom »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2023, 08:31:00 pm »

I propose to name our colony site Petrichor, after the pleasant smell generated when fresh rainfall strikes ground that's been dry for some time. It's rather fitting, considering we're in the badlands.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2023, 05:57:20 pm »

The best Turo's come up with for a local site name is 'Plymouth Rock' from an old Earth story and the rocky place where we landed. Might be apocryphal, or one of those where all the settlers disappeared? Maybe not the best omen.
Do you mean for this to apply to the local badlands or a wider area?

I take it the 'tunnel' is roughly proportional on the map? If so, that's quite the cavern; we could fit a decent size settlement in there without worrying so much about building roofs. Something to think about for the future.
It is not as wide as I've drawn it there, but note that I've only shown the part you've seen so far. The cavern leads deeper to the SW. Tomorrow I'm adding another more detailed map.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2023, 12:39:30 pm »

I feel like Phryne might have her hands full. She's just going to continue keeping an eye on operations, assisting with anyone who wants to visit the forest tunnel—by the way, I'm going to tentatively name that loosely according to the Galactic Star Charts standard for classifying celestial bodies. Greengate-1122. The format normally goes... Size:Temperature:Atmosphere:Water. Here it's Greengate for notable feature, i.e. gateway to the forest, then... Size 1(human-passable):Length 1 (crossable in less than a day):Hazard 2 (at least marginal human presence but neither actively secured nor fully explored):Water 2 (no obvious sources, groundwater only).

While I'm generally being helpful and protective, Phryne is also going to use her free time to make something... impractical, for a change. She will assemble... a rock collection.

Well, okay, not 100% that. But, like, I'm imagining a circular bowl-shaped depression carved out of the shale around base, filled with a thin layer of sand, and then a nice zen garden of various stones. I want to collect some quartz and ruby if I can, not much, just pocket it to add to this collection. I'll use any nicely-shaped shale, sandstone, or even erosion-carved creekstones I can find. I'll have little cairns of rocks with pointy shards of quartz sticking out of the points where they meet.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2023, 06:48:35 am »

Sorry for taking long, but here is a more precise map of the forest cavern. The branch leading SW goes deeper, but you don't know yet how deep.

Spoiler: Cavern detail map (click to show/hide)

The rock collection is trivial enough to be a "free action" that doesn't add to the overall risk of the phase, but please do add it to the votebox to remind me (and get explicit consent of the group).

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2023, 08:18:55 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Collect rocks/minerals/gemstones for a zen garden (1) - Xvareon

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2023, 08:17:10 am »

Right, unanswered question ... I should get back to that.

Do you mean for this to apply to the local badlands or a wider area?

I originally intended it for the name of the settlement itself, the name of the town so to speak. I also tried to take a self-deprecating tone because I thought it wasn't very good as a town name, but I did want to start a discussion. Thanks to the discussion, I now think 'Plymouth Rock' would be better recast as a geological name applied to the badlands: the Plymouth Rock Formation. While I still think the human town/colony needs a proper vote to name it, I wouldn't feel bad about a one-player suggestion for the rocks, seeing as my character specialty appears to be the nearest thing to a geologist.

-----

*sees the votebox put up* -- Well, somebody should add a major action as well as a minor one. I'd rather Grace takes the lead on this project, if possible, but I suppose I can write it down.

Quote from: Votebox
Major action:
Collect lowland soil and bring it to the badlands for agricultural fields (1) - mightymushroom

"Free" action(s):
Collect rocks/minerals/gemstones for a zen garden (1) - Xvareon

I didn't add a vote to name the settlement yet, because we are left with only one suggestion currently and a significant fraction of the players have yet to chime in.

(My not voting on the zen garden is a true abstention, not a silent "nay.")

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2023, 07:40:56 am »

I think
I propose to name our colony site Petrichor, after the pleasant smell generated when fresh rainfall strikes ground that's been dry for some time. It's rather fitting, considering we're in the badlands.
So, then the Colony would be called Petrichor and the local terrain the Plymouth Rock Formation?

I feel like Phryne might have her hands full. She's just going to continue keeping an eye on operations, assisting with anyone who wants to visit the forest tunnel—by the way, I'm going to tentatively name that loosely according to the Galactic Star Charts standard for classifying celestial bodies. Greengate-1122. The format normally goes... Size:Temperature:Atmosphere:Water. Here it's Greengate for notable feature, i.e. gateway to the forest, then... Size 1(human-passable):Length 1 (crossable in less than a day):Hazard 2 (at least marginal human presence but neither actively secured nor fully explored):Water 2 (no obvious sources, groundwater only).
Would Greengate-1122 be a name for a gate?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2023, 07:35:10 pm »

Yes, and yes. Petrichor for the colony, and Greengate-1122 for the tunnel we found to the wooded space beneath us. I plan to use similar designations for other interesting terrain features.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2023, 08:30:26 pm »

ok, please note that mightymushroom already named the excavated tunnel "Forest Tunnel",  how do we resolve this?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2023, 07:18:42 pm »

We just call it "Forest Tunnel" and call it a day. I shrug and just move on to name the next interesting terrain feature we find. No need to 'resolve' anything.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2023, 10:43:43 pm »

((if I'm allowed to join))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((too much? too little? Correct amount? I know it's optional but I want to know wheter I built a good background, even if it is only fluff))

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2023, 09:28:22 am »

((if I'm allowed to join))
Yes of course, welcome. I added your bio to the list of characters in the first post.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9