Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Delta Pavonis C - Exploitation, Turn 2 (new players welcome)  (Read 8159 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Delta Pavonis C - Exploitation, Turn 2 (new players welcome)
« on: January 26, 2023, 07:33:42 pm »

Introduction
The year is 2788. Lucy, the board computer, awakens you from an unprecedented period of hibernation. A century and a half. You feel sick and exhausted, but you are alive. You are one of a small elite crew that just arrived at its destination: Delta Pavonis C. It is an Earthlike planet that is known to harbor life. What kind of life, no one knows. Yet. You and your small team will finally discover it now.
There is no way back. You will spend the rest of your life here and colonize the planet -- or die trying.

In this game you will play as a member of the first crew to colonize a planet outside of the solar system. Compete with the other players for influence. Come up with the best ideas for development of the colony, then convince other players they are in fact the best ideas.
Lifespan isn't necessarily a limiting factor, because progress in medical science made it possible for human beings to live up to hundreds of years. However, if you deliberately behave recklessly (or if everyone else agrees to have you sentenced to death) you can still die.

Rules
Spoiler: Creating a character. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turns and phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Starting the game (click to show/hide)

Discoveries about the planet so far
Spoiler: miscellaneous facts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Lifeforms discovered to date

Pteroleons: large flying creatures. They make chattering and clicking noises and are extremely curious.
Spoiler: Pteroleons (click to show/hide)

Large thrashing creatures: unnamed large creatures roaming the wetland forest in groups.

brightly colored bugs: unnamed brightly colored bugs. Attracted by light.
Spoiler: brightly colored bug (click to show/hide)

Crawling things in the wetland: They´re eaten by Pteroleons

Bioluminous large flying thing: Observed near one of the Light Posts at night.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lorelei: A thing with tentacles that has been spotted in the river. It has consumed two Preroleons; they didn't offer resistance.
Spoiler: Lorelei (click to show/hide)

Striker: Observed in the dryer parts of the forest, to the south of the base. These animals seemed to be moving slowly and didn't make a single sound. The stand about 4-5 meter tall.
Spoiler: Striker (click to show/hide)

shy creature that the drone caught a glimpse of in the wetlands: It hid itself between the trees as soon as it spotted the drone.

Prickly Weed: A common type of plant in the wetlands.
Spoiler: prickly weed (click to show/hide)

Oddly shaped mushroom: An oddly shaped mushroom, found in the wetlands.
Spoiler: oddly shaped mushroom (click to show/hide)

Softwood tree: The most common type of tree in the wetlands turns out to have a trunk made out of spongy material, too soft for solid construction.

Hardwood tree: A less common and smaller type of tree in the wetlands does turn out to be made out of sturdy, dark woodlike material.

rotting peanut tree: These trees, found in the dryer parts of the forest to the south, look almost terrestrial, although the trunk is really tall and quite thin. Grace thinks that this might be a result of the slightly lower gravity. Its bark and wood smells a bit like rotten peanut.
Spoiler: rotting peanut tree (click to show/hide)

Further Background Information

Characters
Spoiler: Phryne de Lys (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Grace Rayland (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turo Celsa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nigel Rosenburg (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lea Webster (click to show/hide)

Credits
This game was heavily inspired by the Founders game, authored by Man of Paper
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 09:26:28 am by Quarque »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founders of Delta Pavonis C
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:34:22 pm »

Welcome, Founders of Delta Pavonis C! It is our first Exploration Phase!

You are looking down on the planet from orbit from your spaceship. You want to land as soon as possible, which will turn your spaceship into a small colony base. The journey has already weakened you badly and remaining awake from hibernation in zero-g is not doing you any good.

But you have to decide where to do it. In order to make a better decision, you may want to gather more information from the safety of orbit. In this first Exploration round you can specify how to go about it. Keep in mind that if you formulate a plan that takes a lot of time, staying awake in a confined zero-g environment may further weaken you. It is allowed to skip this phase entirely, preserving your health and resources.

Lucy, the board computer, has done a quick scan of the surface before waking you up:

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
(if anyone has any tips on how to create a smoother map relatively quickly, do let me know)

The east side of this map connects to the west side, for example square M1 borders M54. Lucy identified the following generic terrain types on the surface:

• Polar (white): This region is constantly frozen. Snowstorms have already been observed. Staying alive here would be very hard; there is no food available and just keeping the base warm would use up all of the energy that the small nuclear reactor on board can provide. The risks of hostile lifeforms would be extremely low, though.
  • Glacier/Tundra (teal): Warmer than Polar, but still mostly below zero around the year. Some natural growth, but it is scarce.
  • Mountain (grey): Rocky, high elevation. These region will likely have the best odds (but still no guarantee) of minerals that can be mined relatively easily, but it seems to be otherwise quite barren. Food may be a problem.
  • Desert (beige): extremely dry, water would need to be imported somehow to survive. Sandstorms have been observed. Energy is readily available from solar panels. Risks of hostile lifeforms very low.
  • Forest? (light green): Well it is some sort of greenish growth, anyway. A few closeup pictures show that they sort of look like trees at least, but resolution isn't high enough to be certain. The temperature and moisture level seem friendly to survival, at least.
  • Jungle? (dark green): The growth in this area has a distinctively darker color than the other "forest". Whatever grows here does not really look like trees. As far as can be determined from this distance, it is more like giant fungus. The moisture level in this area was measured to be very high, most of the time.
  • Swamp? (brown): This strange area has a sort of brownish growth. Lucy tentatively labelled it as "swamp", but it is entirely unclear yet what it really looks like at ground level. Closeup pictures from a high resolution camera show messy irregular structures.
  • Bloom? (orange): On a wide, flat plateau, luminous things shine at night in an orange hue. For now Lucy calls it "bloom". On a closeup the light appears to be emitted in somewhat regular patterns that remind you of snowflakes.
  • Ocean (blue): The spaceship could potentially land here and stay afloat. It is not recommended though. Large waves could topple the spaceship-turned-base and many things (such as mining) would be prohibitively difficult.

Upon landing, you will have the following equipment available to start out:

• spaceship: Currently in orbit. Will serve as a small base for your colony once you landed. It has many small basic tools on board.
  • miniaturized nuclear power plant: It will last for twenty years, but has a limited energy output.
  • food reserves: Dry, the tastes are never quite satisfying. Enough to keep the crew alive for roughly a year.
  • Reconnaissance drone: A small drone that will be able to explore terrain. Vulnerable to bad weather.
  • Quad: A small vehicle with large all-terrain wheels. Runs on an electric engine.
  • Gene bank: Genetic diversity must be preserved in the long run. That is why you have a cooled unit full of human sperm and egg cells on board. Once you are ready to increase population, you have the means to prevent inbreeding.
    It also contains the seeds of many different Earthly species, in case you want to farm or raise pets later.
  • Solar Panels: You have a 50 m2 flexible, lightweight and foldable solar panel that can be taken apart into smaller modules. It is somewhat vulnerable to harsh weather without additional protection layer (that you'd have to produce locally). A smaller, more sturdy one is attached to the quad, to restore battery power in case of need.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:07:24 pm by Quarque »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 09:21:23 pm »

Spoiler: Phryne de Lys (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 05:12:28 am »

Is there going to be a lot of roleplay here?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 05:35:16 am »

No. Providing a character background is entirely optional; I wanted to encourage people with a small onetime bonus to do it to set the mood, but it's not essential.

It's more of a world building game, where the objective is to find a way to survive and build a colony together on a planet full of mystery and hidden danger. The influence mechanic adds a light competitive element.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 02:03:12 pm »

Spoiler: Grace Rayland (click to show/hide)

I would like to vote that we land at I-14, the forest is a natural place for a colony, while the nearby mountains may later be exploited for their minerals. And who can say no to a beach front property?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 04:47:59 pm »

Note that voting immediately on landing in a specific square is indeed an option; it implies that you don't attempt to gather any further information from orbit first and skip ahead to the Expansion phase.

To give you an idea of the dice rolls: that would be considered a Risky action, because you would be landing in a hurry in an alien landscape, without making an effort to find the perfect spot. It isn't worse than risky because the general area *seems* reasonably safe, as far as you can tell.

This round I'll let you know the difficulty for any action you post before the vote is settled, so feel free to post more of them to get the hang of it!

While I said it's not a roleplaying game, it is possible to vote for actions that specify in some detail what your character will personally be doing over the next period (like engaging in a scouting mission, a research project, standing guard, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:34:36 pm by Quarque »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 05:42:55 pm »

I noticed something a bit weird about this map. Is Delta Pavonis C turning in the opposite direction from Earth? If this were Earth, moisture would get trapped on the west end of mountains and leave the regions eastward dry. Yet here, it's all flipped. You have mountains with deserts and arid land on the west end.

That said, I'd like to express support for I-15 as a start, but I don't think we should just go down willy-nilly. We'd be touching down in a colder clime, looks like, with ice upriver from what looks like an inland sea. What I really want to know is if there's any rivers around. Rivers make for perfect natural barriers and sources of clean running water, and potential hydroelectric power.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 10:31:39 pm »

To be honest you just taught me something new about climates. I'll bullshit my way out of this by saying that the North in this map is the magnetic north, and the planet turns in the opposite direction (but not in the opposite direction from its orbit, it doesn't turn retrograde).

Mapping the rivers and streams in the area surrounding I-15 would be a very safe action, trivial if you limit it to rivers. It can be done pretty quickly.
The flipside is that it would have limited impact in terms of how much it helps to find the best location (within the square) to land.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 11:23:56 pm »

Try to find a delta, a large-ish island where sizable rivers/streams run around, or a decent area to land the ship that's got water on (preferably) three sides, at least. That's for our protection as well as for resources and support.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 11:42:30 am »

a decent area to land the ship that's got water on (preferably) three sides, at least. That's for our protection as well as for resources and support.
Protection from what? Phryne, You're thinking of this thing as a fortress, whereas we don't yet have evidence there's any intelligent life on this planet (certainly nothing at industrial level or above.)
I would like to suggest finding a nice field or clearing (so we can see any wild animals from far away) near a lake (so we have access to water.)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 11:44:50 am »

I'm thinking of this as an extremely fragile operation, lightyears from home, where we have one and only one chance to get it right. In any survival situation, you want shelter first, then water, then food. Shelter in this case means safe ground. Water's a convenient way to get that along with its own sake.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founders of Delta Pavonis C (2/12, new players welcome)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 12:59:10 pm »

The difficulty ranking of scouting for open areas depends on the scope; just a single square would be a very safe action, a few tiles (leaving the number vague on purpose) would typically be safe. Please do note that you have mentioned two different squares (I14 vs I15).

The game will need more players to work as a competitive concept, otherwise you'll run into voting deadlocks. I will wait a few more days to see if there is any interest. If it remains at two players, would you be okay with a purely cooperative game? (I could remove the influence mechanic; that would also allow new players to join later without being far behind.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:15:14 pm by Quarque »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 01:45:28 pm »

I'd be fine with it. We can chalk the discrepancies up to corrupted databanks from hard cosmic radiation leading to conflicting instructions on who to wake up and when, or something.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 08:03:03 pm »

Spoiler: Turo Celsa (click to show/hide)

I'd like to use some of our "basic tools" — a few choice electronics rigged on an exoskeleton frame, say — to make a combination camera & comm relay satellite to leave in orbit. We can get basic weather reports, and also potentially spot other macro-scale changes to the map. I don't expect it to replace ground exploration, but we are spacefarers and shouldn't sacrifice all that advantage. (Actually, I want to propose making more than one for redundancy and better coverage, but I'm presuming quantities of "spare" parts are limited in about the same degree as food rations and ought also to be conserved for future projects.) All done concurrently with the science/leadership team's investigation of landing sites to the greatest degree possible.

I-14 is an acceptable choice, though I would prefer the neighborhood of J-47 (or perhaps L-43) for better access to the Bloom. The report fascinates me, and what point in exploring an alien planet if we don't investigate the obviously alien parts? But I can't deny the usefulness of plenty of water.

(I'm good with co-op mode; I wasn't planning on competing hard for influence anyway: presumably leveraging Turo's specialty to propose Building Something any chance I see, but not taking the votes seriously.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9