Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soil quality in the new version  (Read 2329 times)

Edramon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Soil quality in the new version
« on: January 22, 2023, 06:11:42 am »

How does this work? I usually start out with my first farms in soil layers where it warns me that the soil is poor and cavern soil is better.
When it says Cavern Soil, does it actually mean that I need to find a naturally open piece of cavern land and use it or is this the same as muddy stone?

Neither muddied stone nor cavern have any additional messages, so is just that soil layers are bad and everything else is okay?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soil quality in the new version
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 07:39:25 am »

This must be a new feature!

Maybe try planting a farm in soil, and a farm in cavern mud, and see which one is more productive?
(Don't you love looking for knowledge, and then get asked to do science yourself?)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 08:28:52 am »

Does it need to be muddy stone in the actual caverns, or is muddying the first rock layer below ground also good, since the floor tiles there are already called '<rock type> cavern floor'?
I emphasized "stone" to make it clear that any stone is fine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Edramon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 08:52:54 am »

Thanks!

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 03:19:42 pm »

Can cave moss grow on muddy stone? I'm sure it used to but I'm only getting fungi and individual plants.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 10:45:15 am »

Can cave moss grow on muddy stone? I'm sure it used to but I'm only getting fungi and individual plants.
I have "Muddy Sparse cave moss" on some muddy stone floor.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 10:58:59 am »

Cave moss does grow, but rather slowly. Slower than before? Not sure, might be. It does feel like cave moss regrowth is less able to keep up with my grazers than it used to, but I haven't tried a real apples to apples comparison.

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 02:22:42 pm »

Yes it's coming now, I wasn't patient enough. Underlichen too. I don't remember seeing that before.