Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raids as combat training?  (Read 567 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raids as combat training?
« on: January 20, 2023, 11:53:01 am »

Had an interesting observation. I have a squad of legendary dwarves, and to reward my spearmaster for her extraordinary service to my fortress by soloing a dragon, I put her lover, a carpenter, in her squad. I then sent the squad on raids of the nearby kobold settlements to punish them for thievery.

To my surprise, I then found the recruit had become a Talented Sworddwarf, Shield User, Armor User and Dodger, despite only a few days having passed. The recruit had not gained any Fighter, Discipline so his skills look very odd compared with a normal miitary dwarf. He had killed a half dozen kobolds on the expeditions and I think that's where his skills came from.

Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Raids as combat training?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 01:38:12 pm »

Training by raiding was already a feature in the pre-Steam versions. This is generally very efficient, if you have a site to raid which is relatively safe and close to your fortress. I use it mostly for Armor User training, which is kind of slow otherwise, dwarves after a few raids move much quicker.

Whether the raid was successful or not determines who learns something. For example when you use the sneaky raid option, after a successful raid all the participants get Sneak experience, while after unsuccessful raid only the leader gets experience in Tactics, and that's all.