Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't pick up items from obsidian clusters?  (Read 730 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't pick up items from obsidian clusters?
« on: January 19, 2023, 06:11:21 pm »

My dwarves won't touch certain things that were inside obsidian clusters. There's a legendary warhammer, some gems, a clown corpse and a dwarf's corpse (I think he was killed by lava). None of those things are forbidden or currently on fire. Any idea what this bug might be or how to fix it?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't pick up items from obsidian clusters?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 06:21:19 pm »

No idea what the bug might be, but I'd try to build a floor in that tile, because the available building materials or messages might help.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 06:49:29 pm »

No idea what the bug might be, but I'd try to build a floor in that tile, because the available building materials or messages might help.
"Dwarf cancels construct building: could not find path."

Building a floor one tile away works just fine.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:51:03 pm by satan »
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 12:09:53 am »

There was a recent post about some tiles that became inaccessible, for anything including mining. It may seem like a different problem but see the reddit thread they mentioned. That person was able to access the tiles by digging around to the other side of the inaccessible tiles.

Maybe if you expose the tile from another side or from above or below. Another thing to try is to build a wall adjacent, then carve fortifications in it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 03:00:44 am »

"Dwarf cancels construct building: could not find path."

Building a floor one tile away works just fine.

Could simply be that its too hot. Since you previously said the dwarf died by magma. Dwarves refuse to path through too hot areas, such as after magma, dragonfire or sometimes in a fight with something that lobs loads of fire.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 07:59:02 am »

Ooh! Make sure you have Temperature enabled, because if it was too hot (from the steam escaping the cluster...) they might not go there for fear of becoming !!dwarves!!... if you let the temperature update, it might fix that?

Alternatively, if temperature is on, try dumping water next to it (pit/pond from the tile above) and see if that helps.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 09:44:33 am »

Could simply be that its too hot. Since you previously said the dwarf died by magma. Dwarves refuse to path through too hot areas, such as after magma, dragonfire or sometimes in a fight with something that lobs loads of fire.
Likely a continuation of this bug: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1272 or https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=1272
Which, if you like using magma flooding chambers, makes the game extremely .. unreliable. :)
However, it's worth noting that generally, a save and reload does appear to force the recalc of all temp on all pathable/walkable/reachable tiles, and often will clear the bug until you re-flood any/some pathing tiles with magma again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:52:56 am by vjek »