Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guildhall reason?  (Read 1483 times)

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guildhall reason?
« on: January 18, 2023, 04:55:28 pm »

Is there a reason to not just make guild halls like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guildhall reason?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 05:00:42 pm »

What makes you think there's some.problem with it?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 05:56:55 pm »

The only problem with is that how larger your meeting areas are (and the more you have), the less will your dwarves properly socialize.

One small cramped guild hall/meeting area >>> many friends
Many large spaced out guild halls/meeting areas >>> some passing acquaintances, no friends
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 07:20:44 pm »

a e s t h e t i c s
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 07:54:07 pm »

Ok thanks.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 11:07:23 pm »

The only problem with is that how larger your meeting areas are (and the more you have), the less will your dwarves properly socialize.

Many large spaced out guild halls/meeting areas >>> some passing acquaintances, no friends

Wasn't this changed with the stress fix of 0.47.05? Don't know how it's in the Steam version (doubt it's changed much), but with the fix they searched for folk to socialize with in larger areas.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 01:37:26 am »

Guild
H
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
l
l
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 02:36:26 am »

Not true since 47.05 added dwarves actively seeking out other dwarves while in meeting areas as a preliminary fix for stress issues.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 05:11:56 am »

I made a really big generic temple and put loads of artifacts in it, and the buggers all congregate in the 9 or so tiles near the entrance >:E
I've also found that making guild halls and temples bigger allows them to reach higher "levels" quicker, simply through there being more surface area for high quality / value carvings.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 06:57:58 am »

Not true since 47.05 added dwarves actively seeking out other dwarves while in meeting areas as a preliminary fix for stress issues.
It might work for stress issues, but making friends is still really hard once you have multiple or large meeting areas.
My starting seven became close friends, lovers and kindred spirits real fast in the first few months, with just a single small tavern.
Ever since I have more than one meeting area however (guild halls, temples, library), everyone else is getting at most to passing acquaintance level, after 6 years, and my lovers don't see each other enough to get married. Note that I have a small population (22 dwarves). The issue might become less noticable with larger populations, when the meeting areas become more crowded.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:59:40 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 09:58:50 am »

It might work for stress issues, but making friends is still really hard once you have multiple or large meeting areas.
My starting seven became close friends, lovers and kindred spirits real fast in the first few months, with just a single small tavern.
Ever since I have more than one meeting area however (guild halls, temples, library), everyone else is getting at most to passing acquaintance level, after 6 years, and my lovers don't see each other enough to get married. Note that I have a small population (22 dwarves). The issue might become less noticable with larger populations, when the meeting areas become more crowded.
But that's what happens whatever your set up. The starting seven always form deep relationships with each other. Much faster than anyone else ever manages to.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 05:42:30 am »

That's a lot of real estate for just one guild. I just do 3x3 and put some gems on a pedestal.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 12:54:24 am »

Too big
Is there a reason to not just make guild halls like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 01:30:31 am »

That's a lot of real estate for just one guild. I just do 3x3 and put some gems on a pedestal.
You can get to 10k with just some gems?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 05:20:18 am »

I thought items put in pedestals did not add their value to a room in the new version?

Pages: [1] 2