Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basics of the adventure mode  (Read 783 times)

MOGBOB

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Basics of the adventure mode
« on: December 20, 2006, 09:03:00 pm »

This is an excellent game, but as a long-time Nethack, ADOM, Angband, Gearhead, and LCS player, the "adventure" part of DF is a bit confusing. I have read through the whole manual, as well as the onine wiki, so here are some basic questions:

--just say "it should be added later" if it's something that is planned on being included--

1) What function does completing a quest serve? I haven't noticed any change of stats, skills, or items once I talk to the Mayor after completing a quest.

2)What is a good way to train a freshly-made adventuer before delving into the dungeons?

3) What is(are) a good weapon skill to learn for a bginner adventurer?

4) Can I simultaneously have an Adventure and Fortress going on at the same time without abandoning my fortress?

5) How can I "level" or otherwise improve my skills?

Thanks a bunch, and thanks for the amazing game! I look forward to great things.

[ December 20, 2006: Message edited by: MOGBOB ]

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Basics of the adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:43:00 pm »

1. Not much at the moment. I believe all that it does is increase your status with that civilization.

2. Sneaking and Throwing is easily increased anywhere in the world. Just move around rapidly while Sneaking until you get thirsty, then move on to another map. Throwing is just finding a tile with only one stone to pick up, pick up 50 or so and then spam throw.

Wrestling is finding a lone zombie or skeleton, disable anything that might hurt you (joint-lock limbs and snap them), then throttling them until you're tired. Refresh yourself by moving off to another part of the world and back and repeat.

As for the others, I'll let others chime in.

3. Probably the easiest to play with are the blunt weapons: maces and hammers. They don't get stuck inside creatures so you never have to worry about Shift-i to interact and pull it out. A "critical" smashes a creature some distance away; good for crowd control.

4. Sort of. You can use the same world by copying the region# folder in /save and then renaming it to region#+1. You could, as well, generate a new world to play Adventurer in.

5. You improve your skills by using them. Most of them will do so just in the normal course of combat. However, weapon skills will not increase if you hit a prone creature. If you're training, let your "dummy" stand up first, if it can, before smacking it again.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »

1. More people in your group. Unfortunetly, they dont take kindly to being labled as a band of theives.

2. Play fortress mode, send out a custom group of 7 miners (remove ... pretty much everything, and spend all the points on mining picks + mining skill) dig out random passages /rooms, maybe even getting a mason to make a few doors just for kicks. When you're done, abandon the fortress. Just realise that it will be a death sentence for your dwarves.

Then, go to legends, and export the map. THEN FINALLY, start a new adventurer NOT choosing play now (you'll get torn to shreds) and find your old fortress by using the exported map as a guide. Ta-da! Lots of weak, easy to kill enemies to practice on.

3) Maces /Hammers since they dont stick in the enemy, Wrestling because alot of enemies bite, and then Armor, because masterpeice steel platemail recovered from a fortress owns.

4) Can't do it, at least, not yet.

5) [What you learn in combat is based on your enemys attack rolls. If they're unconcious, you get nothing for attacking them, since they can't defend themselves.]

[ December 20, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:23:00 am »

Completing the quests gives you a randomly generated title, I believe.

Sestze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:35:00 am »

I had an old save that had a character who had garnered 5 or 6 additional surnames simply from genociding four human civilizations.

Death? Shot in the face by a kobold bowman. Forgot to sneak.

I guess that's the lesson here, level up sneaking as much as you can. It doesn't matter if you move slower than a slug while sneaking, you can throw stuff while sneaking, and most bowmen, kobolds, etc. won't see you coming until you critical them in the face.

[ January 19, 2007: Message edited by: Sestze ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sestze:
<STRONG>
I guess that's the lesson here, level up sneaking as much as you can. It doesn't matter if you move slower than a slug while sneaking,</STRONG>

I think as sneaking skill goes up, the movement penalty decreases.  So, even more of a reason to boost it.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 07:19:00 am »

Spent some time of my own with Adventure Mode, a couple thoughts on skilling up a warrior.  I had good success starting with some points in Wrestling and Shield User and the rest in a weapon skill,  I did Spear but ended up going from Dabbling to (finally) Legendary in Swordsman.  

On your first couple quests, strangle everything.  [shift]+[A] and wrestling an opponent, grabbing a head or limb and do a couple take downs.  Then grab the throat, put in a chokehold and strangle until dead.  Use another throw / take down if they try standing back up.  This kept me relatively safe ...  Until I got the hang of ruins.  Smashing all the Skellies and Zombies, leave one Zed alive and just strangle and strangle him.  Legendary Wrestler comes up pretty quick, just take a few steps back and "walk it off" when you get Tired.

This led me to realize how to get from Skilled Shield User and Armor User to Legendary in about 10 minutes.  Visiting a ruin, I selectively culled the undead until about 3-4 Skeletons were left alive and intact.  Using [c]ombat preferences attack was set to Close Combat (to prevent deadly counterstrikes) and the other two to Stand Ground.  Then just lie on the ground and use the [.] rest key and roll with the punches.  When you get tired, stand up, retreat and walk it off.  Laying on the ground is important because it is only when you "block the shot" that shield user is trained and Skellies just miss if you are on your feet.  I don't know how tough you have to be before this is safe, but test it with one Skeleton, or better one Zombie until you think you are safe.

With max shield skill, I could ransack a Kobold cave and block down arrows with impunity.

FunkyBomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 07:49:00 am »

Actually, I believe you can also train Shield User by wielding the shield by itself and attacking with it. You'll gain skill in the same manner as a weapon class, then.

ETA: After recent experiments, I have discovered that it does not work that way. You still must block hits to gain skill. My mistake.

[ January 19, 2007: Message edited by: FunkyBomb ]

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

quote:
After recent experiments, I have discovered that it does not work that way. You still must block hits to gain skill. My mistake.

Heh. I tried that once.

quote:
With max shield skill, I could ransack a Kobold cave and block down arrows with impunity.

Cool! Good advice, slMagnvox. I'll put it to use.   ;)

[ January 19, 2007: Message edited by: Syreal ]

You die in the heat.