Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: CWAR: SFS Thread // Revision Phase // Warm Seasons 1947  (Read 11122 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CWAR: SFS Thread // Strategy Phase // Summer 1946
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2023, 12:13:43 am »

Revision Phase

Proposal: Lizing Li-GG Longhaul Cargo Plane
Difficulty: Easy
Result: (4+4)+1=9, Above Average

With the threat of imminent war no longer on the immediate horizon, the large bomber fleet that'd been purchased from UNSA and repurposed with proper Selicate engineering was largely useless for more than just posturing. To get use out of the airframe, and to start the modernization process, a new line of large aircraft based on the Li-4 was put into production. All armaments and related systems are removed and the entirety of the fuselage from the crew cabin (for the pilot, copilot, a couple mechanics, and some cargo technicians) back is left clear with a number of points to tie, hook, strap, or otherwise secure cargo. The rear of the plane has received the most readily apparent modification: a conversion into a hydraulic ramp. This large entryway allows for easy loading and unloading of the aircraft's cargo and can be controlled from the cockpit or the interior of the hold.

Another modification, although perhaps very slightly less obvious, is the replacement of the engines with GGPROEs. The four GGPROE powered propellers give the aircraft a speed of around 575 km/h, but the engines aren't tuned for high performance. Instead, the GGPROEs in the Li-GG are set up for endurance and longevity, massively increasing the aircraft's range to 6500km - enough to reach the Old World and then some without the need to stop somewhere that doesn't exist to refuel. The aircraft can haul 15,000kg before it becomes too dangerous to fly.

The Lizing Li-GG Longhaul Cargo Plane costs 3 Ore and 3 Gavrilium, making it (CHEAP).

Proposal: Gavrilium Evaluator Waffles & Vigenere
Difficulty: Easy
Result: (5+3)+1=9, Above Average

There are two problems with the GITGUD as it exists presently.

The first issue is sensitive gavrilium-based parts. In order to simultaneously secure, contain, and protect delicate components, the entire evaluator assembly is coated in a clear resin that, after being baked, leaves the "waffleboard" looking like, well, a waffle. Better production and resilience of internal components results in a significantly reduced rate of catastrophic failure. Even if a failure occurs, a back panel can be unscrewed to remove the damaged waffleboard and insert a fresh one.

The second problem stems from the "encryption" method that's been utilized. The increased capability of the GITGUD to not spontaneously selfdestruct has given engineers the ability to expand upon the complexity of the encryption. Instead of an excessively simple shift cypher on a single dial, eight dials on the side allow the operator to enter an eight letter long keyword in order to encode or decode transmissions. The receiver sets their dials based on an initial numerical transmission which instructs them which page, line, and word in their "code"book is used. It is known as the "Vigenere Cipher" after the novel used to choose the codewords, "Vigenere the Scoundrel", by Giovan Battista Bellaso. This novel is fairly popular, so owning it or carrying it around shouldn't draw any undue attention.

The decreased amount of spare parts and repairs required reduce the GITGUD's cost to 3 Gavrilium, 3 Ore, and 4 Wood (representing the resin introduced into the process), making it (EXPENSIVE).

----------------

It is now the Strategy Phase. You will be assigning another resource to another empty resource node. You also have two actions to assign. You can choose to secure a location affiliated with you, take over a location on your side of the wall that is unaffiliated, or attempt to purge a location on the other side of the wall that is affiliated with the enemy.

Spoiler: SFS Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resource Nodes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harren PoIs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Islands Map (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CWAR: SFS Thread // Strategy Phase // Summer 1946
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2023, 07:26:10 am »

Quote from: Stratbox
Resource
Gavrilium in the Dusty Mesas: (1) NUKE9.13

PoI Actions
Secure Loz and Sons Law Firm (Advantage): (1) NUKE9.13
Purge Westlan Broadcast Center (Advantage):
Take Tonngaza Refinery (Expense): (1) NUKE9.13

Treaties
The Perpetual Conference & Medical Committee
-Yes: (1) NUKE9.13
-No:

I'm not sure about attempting a Purge, honestly. They already upgraded their defences by issuing new IDs, and may well have developed even more defensive measures. I kinda wish there was an Infiltrate action, so we could get a better idea of their defences without having to go all-in on attempting a purge. I'm worried that bungling a purge will threaten the Circus's cover- I mean, obviously the UNSA players will recognise that it's a spying vehicle, but they won't be able to get rid of it without a good excuse. I'm also worried that getting caught red-handed trying to assassinate people could harm our international image.
Actually, now that I think about it, the Circus's bonus will give us a better picture of their defensive measures even if we don't do anything (at least the ones that aren't top secret), so we could tailor a design next turn to getting past them. I changed my vote before even hitting post.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 08:24:18 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2023, 09:24:19 am »

Resource
Gavrilium in the Dusty Mesas: (1) NUKE9.13, TricMagic

PoI Actions
Secure Loz and Sons Law Firm (Advantage): (1) NUKE9.13, TricMagic
Take Tonngaza Refinery (Expense): (1) NUKE9.13, TricMagic

Treaties
-Yes: (1) NUKE9.13, TricMagic
-No:

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2023, 12:34:15 pm »

Resource
Gavrilium in the Dusty Mesas: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic,Frostgiant

PoI Actions
Secure Loz and Sons Law Firm (Advantage): (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic,Frostgiant
Take Tonngaza Refinery (Expense): (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic,Frostgiant

Treaties
-Yes: (2) NUKE9.13, TricMagic
-No: (1) Frostgiant

Treaty-Smeety, Let Warcrimes Reign!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2023, 12:36:09 pm »

Resource
Gavrilium in the Dusty Mesas: (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Frostgiant, D7

PoI Actions
Secure Loz and Sons Law Firm (Advantage): (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Frostgiant, D7
Take Tonngaza Refinery (Expense): (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Frostgiant, D7

Treaties
-Yes: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7

Some observations:

Distributing our resources seems wise, since a strategic weapon might be able to knock out a whole node at once. Admittedly, if that happens the end of the world (and the game) is already nigh.

Giving MoP fun toys to thwack us with (Perpetual Conference) might not seem wise, necessarily, but it's got that verisimilitude.

Avanti!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2023, 02:11:52 pm »

Final version of my propaganda submission:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2023, 05:58:42 pm »

I've been working on some potential flag designs as well. I think there might be a contest specifically for flags later, so I'm not voting one of them right now, but I'd appreciate some thoughts on them.

Edit: We don't vote on the propaganda, dur.

Resource
Gavrilium in the Dusty Mesas: (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Frostgiant, D7

PoI Actions
Secure Loz and Sons Law Firm (Advantage): (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Frostgiant, D7
Take Tonngaza Refinery (Expense): (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, Frostgiant, D7

Treaties
-Yes: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:08:23 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CWAR: SFS Thread // Design Phase // Autumn 1946
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2023, 01:27:08 am »

Strategy Phase

This season saw a mine for Gavrilium dug out in the Dusty Mesas, resulting in the following armory changes:

None.

After-Action Report

With a little finesse and a lot of money, Tonngaza Refinery and its access to different wealth has been pulled under the SFS intelligence umbrella and will begin to provide the Federation with whatever it can siphon off.

----

Nadia Antonova arched backward until she touched the floor, practically folded in half, and slowly somersaulted a half-dozen times across the stage. She was focused on her performance at this moment and nothing more. She was the memory of love, snatched away by a thief of the mind. She was not an agent of the SFS intelligence community, and neither were her peers performing alongside her.

The rest of them though? Yeah, they were definitely SFS agents at the moment. Not only had the Circus gotten it's hands on legitimate Northern papers to pass along, but every whisper and utterance could find itself weaving a thread they could follow, and follow they did. If it's easily accessed information, chances are it'll fall into the laps of the Circus' people.

And Nadia? Well, she's finally rolled off-stage, symbolizing a loss most permanent. And now she is definitely an SFS agent. If nothing else, the GITGUD and codebook she takes out in her private room prove it.

спагетти

With the proper codeword, Spaghetti, entered into the GITGUD, Nadia was able to relay information about enemy activities in slightly better detail than previously possible through passive means.

----

Kirill Popov had an apartment across the street from the building housing the Loz and Sons Law Firm with a nice view of the entrance. He also had a job as security at the front desk. He also had access to the entire building and was under orders to make sure any attempts at interfering with SFS operations were promptly handled. Loz and his sons were under orders to report any suspicious activity directly to Kirill, and for a couple weeks it seemed like this would be an easy post. A boring post.

That is, until a recently hired secretary in the Law Firm itself started making some minor waves. It was nothing out of the ordinary at first, seemingly typical ambitions of someone seeking to pull themself up equal to their betters. Respectable. But Loz' youngest son, Aleks, began to get suspicious when the new hire seemed to want to cozy up to him specifically. They'd been part of a group that went out to drink regularly, and the couple of times this "Fedor Petrov" got him alone their conversation always seemed to swing to politics - sometimes without Aleks noticing until they were already deep into it. More suspiciously, Aleks noticed the man rarely actually drank.

Kirill didn't like it, but he needed proof that this wasn't just some lightweight discussing nonsense. A few evenings later he set the bait for the final test. Aleks was to open up to Fedor, and if Northern sympathies were uncovered, Aleks would signal Kirill and he'd deal with it.

----

"I just don't understand, yeah? If we're in someone's pocket can we really be impartial? Is - will justice be blind to us getting pocketfuls of money from big, bad people? Isn't that a conflict of interest?"

Fedor poured another shot of vodka for Aleks. He'd noticed that Fedor hadn't filled his own glass for the last four, five, six shots? Somewhere around there. But Fedor definitely thought Aleks was more drunk than he thought he looked.

"That's what I'm trying to say! Look, I'm not some big city lawyer, but I feel like the state shouldn't be so directly involved with a group that could be representing people opposed to them or their system," Fedor agreed.

"You're smarter than most of my coworkers," Aleks downed his shot, gave his head a quick shake, and continued, "Hell, maybe even my brothers. But what can we do about it? My dad runs the firm, my brothers outrank me, I've got little to my own name. Fuck, I wish I could get paid not to be a corrupt mudak..."

Fedor leaned in close, his intensity almost magnetically drawing Aleks likewise forward, "What if I knew a way you could?"

The veil was lifted, and over the next couple of hours they discussed what, exactly, Aleks would have to do in order to get "paid not to be corrupt" - including getting a "briefcase full of cash". It was well past 1 AM by the time they'd finished, and Aleks had Fedor thinking he was wrapped around his little finger. Aleks refused to let Fedor drive him home when they'd stumbled outside - some more honestly than others - and into Aleks' car. Fedor opted to get a cab and now Aleks needed to remember what he was doing here.

Right, the lights.

Aleks had to tell Kirill that Fedor was a Northern Sympathizer! And he had to turn his lights on and off to do so!

----

Blyad, idiot is going to give it all away, Kirill thought to himself as he put in earplugs while Aleks gave him the signal that Fedor was acting against the Federation. He pulled the cab he'd acquired out of an alleyway a couple blocks away, circled around, and pulled up in front of Fedor as he hailed the cab down.

Kirill watched through the mirror as Fedor spoke a few street names he'd half heard, half lipread. Kirill simply grunted an affirmative and started to wind through the city streets.

"Here you are," Kirill said as he pulled up along the sidewalk of an empty, dark street a few minutes later.

"Oh this isn't it," Fedor said as he looked around. As the man leaned forward between the driver and passenger seat he came face to face with Kirill's suppressed Nebolshoy. Two shots to the forehead redecorated the back of the cab. Kirill pulled into an abandoned lot, pulled Fedor's corpse to the front, and doused him and the car in alcohol before setting it on fire.

It seems a little bribery wasn't enough to interfere with a properly secured point of interest.

----

As everybody knows, there was a recent incident in the waters off of South Harren. A seaplane, apparently called the  crashed into the water off the coast of Harren City, but instead of letting an SFS vessel provide rescue and recovery, these new cutters in use by the UNSA coast guard violated SFS waters in order to recover the aircraft and crew. While certainly something that is generally disapproved of by Federation folk, it showed off the capabilities of their ship somewhat. While the front resembles the UNSA Herring-class Destroyer including the front gun and torpedoes, the rear was modified with a crane as well as a flat deck they were able to secure the aircraft to. It also had a bunch of antennas stabbing out of the tower, but the Eve-Class Coast Guard Cutter is a rescue and recovery ship and those are definitely just to pick up emergency transmissions. Right?

The seaplane itself, the PC-46 "Firefly SPIE" (pronounced SPY), is definitely just a seagoing variant of the civilian PC-46 Private Aircraft 'Firefly' seen in the skies to the north recently, regardless of how dumb and provocative the name is. That's just how capitalists are.

The documents provided by the Circus show that UNSA has severely stepped up their border security. Not only are papers color-coded based on the reason for travel into North Harren, but they get stamped at every port, checkpoint, border, and government building in the Fortress-City, allowing law enforcement and the like to trace peoples paths almost exactly to the street. While all of that can be faked fairly easily (if it needs to be), the biometric database (visas contain eye and hair color and a numerical code referencing fingerprints on file) their officers and soldiers can call up is practically immune to tampering, and if it is tampered with somehow, they have means to identify which applicant interviewers could or should have been involved. Anyway, the database shouldn't prove to be a problem unless someone draws too much attention to themselves.

It is now the Design Phase. You have two designs to create once again. I'll continue providing estimates and feedback until I feel you've gotten the hang of things.

You win! You get a prize! One SECRET PROJECT "CREDIT"! Unlike your other designs and revisions, proposals with a Secret Project credit prevent details from leaking out passively either through civilian eyes and ears or enemy infiltration. These credits are best used on proposals for things you want to keep secret for a bit before you actually use them. While some more covert options may receive this treatment without the need for a Secret Project Credit, this also prevents details getting out about your massive space elevator, or your metal gear, or whatever other megaproject you may want to keep secret no matter how big (within somewhat reasonable limits - a Death Star would be noticed). Secret Projects do not affect World Tension. Designs and revisions meant to solely impact the Secret Project itself will also remain undetected (unless I state otherwise), but variants (like revising Metal Gear REX into RAY as a bad example) will not be provided with the same protections. I'll chime in if an addition to a project would threaten secrecy. Secret Projects will be labeled as such in their armory entry. There will be more "contests" for both sides to receive more of these credits from in the future.

Spoiler: SFS Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resource Nodes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harren PoIs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Islands Map (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CWAR: SFS Thread // Design Phase // Autumn 1946
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2023, 02:52:27 am »

Orange Dawn Thorium Doped Gavrilium Aerodynamic Testbed
I’m escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism, SPACE!
While our GGPRO engines are a marvel of engineering they are limited by the material of their propellers. Ideas for jet engines of many designs have been dreamed up for over a century but were difficult to make due to the issues with combusting fuel. Lucky for us we have gavrilium.

In the past we have had some issues purifying gavrilium to a high degree without some ‘volatile’ reactions. By adding in a tiny amount of thorium to high purity gavrilium we can not only stabilize it but also control its energy output when destabilized. Thorium doped gavrilium is more or less unreactive until heated at which point it will ignite and rapidly heat up for an extended period. This early version of doped gavrilium can get up to a rather high temperature before the thorium melts out and it becomes gavrilium slag.

The aerodynamic testbed part of the design is a simple ramjet rocket useful solely to get us some data on how things react to extreme speed. The heart of the rocket is a few thorium doped gavrilium fins wrapped in a small cordite warming charge. This is contained within a steel tube and has a inlet cone on the nose to act as a passive compressor. A pair of simple cordite rockets are fixed to the side of the rocket. Test of the rocket is simple, the arming charge and cordite rockets are firing at the same time. This both launches the rocket into the air at decent speed and ignites the doped gavrilium causing it to rapidly heat up. As air passes by the gavrilium it heats up expanding and creating thrust in addition to preventing it from overheating. After the gavrilium depletes the rocket will crash down and the debris can be recovered and inspected for scientific gain.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:36:04 am by Light forger »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2023, 04:05:34 am »

Uranium-Gavrilium Output Reactor (UGO Reactor)
Defined by the unique interactions of a uranium-gavrilium alloy, the UGO reactor is likely the final word in power generation. A true solid-state power generator unlike the original gavrilium engines or our new GGPRO. Using the unique properties of the alloy to generate an electromagnetic field passively, the UGO reactor harnesses this by essentially harvesting the power from the field itself for electrical energy though radioactive decay from uranium and gavrilium's unique properties in exposure to temperature changes. The UGO Reactor's fuel comes into the form of relatively thin rectangles (Leading to our engineers to refer to them as "UGO Cards") of UG Alloy. Thanks to gavrilium's unique properties, the reactor need neither be heated nor cooled, and thanks to a peculiar interaction of energy leeching in part from the gavrilium in the alloy, the UGO Cards have a lifespan of... well, the mathematicians ill get back to us on that, there's a few zeroes in there at least.

The intent of the UGO reactor is primarily civilian power, and with a theoretical power density compared to the GGPRO engine, a UGO engine can output a good deal more energy for a lot longer for the same amount of space, and the reactor itself is relatively sturdy. However, power to weight is comparatively lower, though still outpacing ICEs well. UGO cards must be handled with protective equipment at all times due to the radiation present in even a fresh card.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2023, 07:27:34 am »

Quote from: Gavrilium Flash Union Engine Lighter
By using Gavrillium Dust with depleted gas, and freezing it inside a radioactive slurry of liquid helium and Uranium 235, we create GFUEL pellets, capable of harnessing the bomb's power within a contained to jumpstart a fusion engine. While fairly short burning, these pellets can output a tremendous amount of engine for a power plant in a very short amount of time, more than our power grid is currently equipped to handle. All that's required to jumpstart them into fusion is 1000 degrees of flame within the containment chamber. Handle these with care, as they are radioactive until ignition, at which point a lot of energy occurs very quickly.
Unlikely to work, but putting it in.

Quote from: Hardlight Actualization Resonance Device
The HARD makes use of electricity and Gavrilium in a machine to project light within an electromagnetic field, producing holograms. When sufficiently charged this light compacts to simulate mass. The Nukettert Museum's Astrology Wing has set up a holographic model of the solar system using this newfangled device.

"It's quite interesting, with no more power than is needed for a lightbulb you can create a holographic screen the size of your hand. With a bit more, these screens become tangible to the touch. Naturally, the larger the object the more power is needed to simulate mass, but it could be extremely useful for the production of hardlight tool tips and temporary supports. For now the machinery's size holds it back, as we're still prototyping it."

Right now the prototype needs to be built on site, but that's because this technology is a proof of concept. High Pressure GGPRO Engines should easily be able to supply the power for mobile applications in the future, and there are some hopes in simulating moving mass for rocketry. For now the emitters serve to produce a stationary hologram that you can actually touch and feel moving, a marvel of the future.
Also this bit. An extremely expensive proof of concept with no immediate use. We'll see how it goes.

In respone to Man of Salt.

Quote from: G-Magnets: How do they work? Jamming & Radar Infrastrucutre
G-Magnets are created by melting down neodymium, iron, boron and Gavrilium into an alloy, then cooling inside a mold. These magnets constantly release an electromagnetic push when powered, with the direction being opposite the connecter plate. While powered, they have a strong attraction to the entrance point of the current as well, which is what keeps them from sliding off the connecter plate At all other times, they act like "normal" Neodymium magnets, if with less attraction. The simplest explanation? They turn electricity directly into electromagnetic force, with an extreme scaling. This has a number of uses, with the current design being jammers settled around key points of our borders and in key installations, preventing tapping of our radio waves. Powered by GGPROs set up in these installations, the electromagnetic force will distort incoming and outgoing signals, requiring knowledge of their placement to bypass successfully.
These facilities will also be set up with radar dishes meant to catch returning EM waves, in case they bounce of any unidentified air targets. As the EM waves bounce up from higher in the facility, anything that returns should be fairly clear, and anything spotted can be relayed down phone lines.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:26:52 am by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2023, 08:25:14 am »

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics:
Officially the "Federal Intelligence Center: Counterfactual Narrative Division", publicly only known by the name "LDLS Bureau", which is supposedly a subdivision of the Department of Statistics. These brave men and women work 32 hours a day, 9 days a week, etching words into gold tablets using diamond-tipped chisels. Or so they tell us. They're very secretive, with good reason, but this does mean that we can't actually be sure how many of them there are or what their working hours are. A target's dossier goes in, a comprehensive report that proves their involvement in various underhanded, immoral, illegal, and/or insane activities comes out. And you don't ask questions.

...okay fine I guess it's our job to ask questions.

The LDLS Bureau is hooked into our intelligence networks, receiving copies of reports on everything that our agents and informants observe. They have their own separate filing system for these reports, which takes up most of the extensive basement beneath their unassuming office in Osgorod. When the FIC orders dirt on a target, the LDLS staff are able to quickly gather all relevant information, send requests to field agents for additional intel, and combine it with whatever is in the dossier the FIC sent. Then a team of experts (drawn from journalists, scriptwriters, authors, political aides, and other experienced liars) craft a narrative that is layered, believable, and has enough links to reality to make it plausible to even close confidants of the target.
To support the narrative, the LDLS also have an extensive array of photo-doctoring equipment, allowing them to manufacture compelling visual evidence. A cadre of voice actors and sound-mixing equipment allows for fake audio recordings to be made as well. Finally, expert forgers are on call to produce documents altered or fabricated (complete with forged signatures) to drive the final nail into the fictitious coffin.
The fabricated report, doctored photos, faked recordings, and forged documents are packaged up and sent back to the FIC, who can then route it to field agents.
Field agents can then deploy the truckload of steaming bullshit in whatever manner is most effective. 'Leak' it to the press, perhaps. Make an anonymous police report. Approach the target directly and blackmail them. Give it to their spouse, along with a loaded gun. Maybe some physical 'evidence' gets planted to support what the LDLS produced. At the end of the day, the target is either out of the picture, or sufficiently threatened to switch sides.

Edited in light of the Easy difficulty estimate given below. I've added photo-doctoring, audio-faking, and document-forging abilities to make their reports harder to discredit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 09:57:09 am by NUKE9.13 »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2023, 09:24:52 am »

Quote from: Excitation Turbojet
Propeller engines won't get us beyond trans-sonic speeds, but jet engines are reaction thrusters. A typical one burns fuel, expels hot exhaust. It's unclear how a GGPRO could possibly do something like that, but the boys in the lab have cooked up something special.

An excitation turbojet uses the magnetic properties of plasma to create thrust. The energy-dense, higher-pressure air flowing from the engine's compressor blades is ionized into a cool plasma using high-voltage spark gaps that break down intermolecular forces and liberate electrons. The plasma is shaped and squeezed by electromagnets in the "combustion chambers" into a dense, hot stream, where it's further excited by microwave generators that rapidly switch polarity to agitate the individual ions of nitrogen and oxygen, heating the stream to the exhaust temperatures of an ordinary jet's combustion products.

While the compression blades themselves will be spun by a turbine at the rear of the engine, like in a normal turbojet, the ionization and and magnetic agitation needs to be powered by a separate power plant, such as a GGPRO engine. Regardless, so long as there's enough air, an excitation engine will provide reaction thrust expending only electricity.

Avanti!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2023, 04:05:03 pm »

Project "RuimteOnderzoeksCollege Knutselen Eigenaardige Technologie"-V1 (CLASSIFIED):
The ROC is a venerable institution in Volksfeld, dating back to the early 17th century, when Volkish lensmaker Hank Lipshy created the world's first telescope! Probably. Anyway, an astronomical institute was soon established that used the new invention to observe the stars in great detail, leading to many fascinating discoveries. But times change. Telescopes are old news. The members of the ROC are bored of just looking at space. They want to experience space. They want to go there. And they've dedicated considerable resources to sketching out proposals for how they might achieve this.

Suicidal academics aside, there's some merit in being able to put things in space. Unfortunately, space is quite hard to get to. You'd probably need some sort of floaty science material to get there easily... or maybe some sort of superfuel.
Quote from: Volatile Gavrilium Spirit
Industrializing the gasification of Gavrilium has been hampered by the cryogenic temperatures required to fully sublime the material. Done at excessive pressures or insufficiently low temperatures results in only partial conversion--mixed in with the stable gas is Gavrilium vapor, which can be fractionally distilled out and liquefied. This results in a clear-to-pale green liquid, slightly less viscous than water, volatile, and highly reactive. It corrodes metal, natural rubber, and the human respiratory system.

Factories have hitherto been uncertain what to do with this dangerous industrial waste product, but an attempt to treat it for safer storage has opened up fascinating possibilities. Mixed proportionally with petroleum fuel, the Gavrilium is chemically stabilized in a process similar to the creation of a hydrate. The treated fuel, called Volatile Gavrilium Spirit, is shelf stable and relatively unreactive (emphasis on relatively), but exhibits vastly increased performance compared to an untreated analogue. Heavy bunker fuel, barely a step up from crude oil, combusts on the level of ordinary civilian petrol when treated. Civilian petrol becomes like high-octane specialty racing fuel. Treated aviation kerosene is so energy-rich our current engines can barely keep up with it.

More fascinatingly yet, the fuel appears to become its own oxidizer. Gavrilium Spirit will continue to burn in the absence of air, or even underwater. This means it requires chemical firefighting equipment, but suggests utility in extreme engine conditions where fuel would otherwise be unable to burn, like in a submerged submarine or ultra-high altitudes.
Oh hey, look at that.

So anyway, the ROC folks got their hands on some VGS, and they put it into a rocket. Not requiring a separate oxidizer makes for a much simpler design. Previous trials with liquid-fuelled rockets have shown the ROC that using a sort of hourglass-shaped nozzle makes for a much more efficient engine, which remains true when using VGS.
Now, the finished rocket is about a meter long, and can reach heights in the range of a hundred meters (which is about 1000 times less than it needs to to reach space). It has no guidance system, just fixed fins, so it has an alarming tendency to veer wildly in the slightest wind. But the ROC have ambitious plans for Project ROCKET. The V1 is just the first step; a proof of concept of a VGS-powered rocket motor, an opportunity to study how materials hold up in the face of such acceleration, to observe how rockets fly, and to get more funding from people who watch the V1 crash into the ground and explode with great interest.
As this project has some obvious military implications (even though there are no current plans for such uses), and is nowhere near a usable state yet, we'd rather UNSA not know about it. Or anyone else for that matter. So all testing and development takes place in a secret base hidden in the wastelands between Paeleris and Volksfeld.

The end goal of Project ROCKET is to use a rocket to put a living, breathing human into orbit, then get them back down to earth (still living and breathing, ideally). It might take us a while.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2023, 03:07:50 pm »

Orange Dawn is Normal, because while it does step into rocketry, it will be providing nothing but experience to work upon. This includes an inability to revise the rockets directly from testbed to something useful for warfare or travel. It's probably best to look at it as the first step in a multi-action project.

UGO Reactor is Theoretical/Ludicrous. Not only is it making a Nuclear Reactor+ (but also -?) and trying to sell it like it's not an international issue (for examples of why that may be difficult see: Iran), but the write-up also heavily implies, from my perspective, the capacity for miniaturization of a workable nuclear reactor+/- to the point where it could be used to potentially replace any internal combustion engine big and small. Now I don't want to reopen old wounds, but some of you should be very familiar with how I view miniaturization of a reactor that is either poorly or not yet implemented at all (this is a reference to the Terrestrial Reserve in Warbiz). Possible? Of course, that's why it's not Impossible, but you're adding layers that could probably be applied later without massively affecting difficulty. If it's not meant to provide car/motorcycle/other small thing requiring power source then I'd suggest removing the comparison to ICE and GGPRO engines. For additional reasons as to why it'd be difficult to pull off a radioactive civilian power supply, see any time anyone thinks they're safe walking past a car in Fallout as well as the typical issues of dealing with radioactive decay that nations may have historically stumbled through while their only experience with nuclear energy was a bomb.

GFUEL is invalid. You're making the catalyst for something you haven't even begun to deal with yet, and if you decide to produce a fusion engine at this point you can probably expect that to be Impossible for a while without making the proper inroads. While going "gotcha" is fun for me, it's more fun for youse to not do something entirely useless for however long it takes to develop fusion engines.

HARD is Ludicrous, veering away from Impossible only because the proposal sets a framework for potential future experimentation and mechanically provides nothing else. Just, you know, keep in mind that the reaction you're using here is base gavrilium and an electromagnetic field. Future work using basic gavrilium (the cheapest form of gavrilium) might hit some hardlight obstacles.

G-Magnets, from what I can tell, are powered magnets, but paired with equipment to utilize them like a sort of EMF reader/radar fusion. As far as I can interpret, this would probably fall under Theoretical as I'll allow the attempt, but it's unlikely it won't come with issues associated with placing giant magnets in places that block radio transmissions along parts of a border you are actively transmitting radio signals across.

LDLS is Easy due to the effort needed in digging/making up dirt on, well, whoever, mitigated by the fact that it's just Fake News being spread by word of mouth and the things you already have in place, but definitely not the circus, the circus isn't suspicious at all.

Turbojet is Hard/Very Hard, due to the stepping into jet engines and the like, but I'd probably err on the lower end due to the experience with engines not entirely dissimilar in concept already (and indeed being integrated into the turbojet as is).

The Fuck You V1 is Normal for the same reasoning as Orange Dawn, just with a different approach.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13