Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: CWAR: SFS Thread // Revision Phase // Warm Seasons 1947  (Read 11116 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: CWAR: SFS Thread // Design Phase // Summer 1946
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2023, 01:04:07 pm »

Quote from: Circus of the Stranger
Ballet, Opera, Theater, Circus. The four great performing arts.

What, do I hear snickering?

The circus passed through the fires of the Revolution practically unharmed, due to having almost no connection to the old Imperial aristocracy. When the great theaters, concert halls, and other venues of entertainment came under nationalization, the Circus troupes went with them, suddenly flush with funding from the Ministry of Culture. Even during the painful war years, when almost every other entertainment industry suffered terrible contractions, the big tents kept right to their circuits throughout the countryside.

Modern Selicate circus is no crude sideshow full of mistreated animals and strange-looking people, but a narrative performance comparable to an opera, albeit less musical and more acrobatic. Feats of human physicality are common, and objects like the trapeze or tightrope serve as the stage just as commonly as, well, actual stages do. Circus performers are often elaborately (though not garishly) costumed and made up, and successful ones are expected to be charismatic enough to capture the attention of a raucous crowd.

In other words, the Selicate Federation has extant institutions full of government employees, practiced in acting and disguise, and ideally in peak physical condition. Who ever said that spies were hard to find?

One particular troupe, the Circus of the Stranger--known for its enigmatic masked performers--is being secretly handed off from the Ministry of Culture to the Ministry of Security. Its employees will be screened, and those found appropriate quietly inducted into the new expectations that will be made of them on the soon-to-come International Tour, a semipermanent olive branch to the UNSA exhibiting the finest in Selicate cultural export.

The masked performers will pass over the cordon with full right to be there, and, their faces unknown to the public at large, be free to carry out espionage tasks in between performances.

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2023, 01:08:29 pm »

Circus of the Stranger is Hard, there's a bit of training involved and some diplomacy required, but unlike most things you could propose it will only get more difficult as tensions between nations rise and geopolitical situations adjust regardless of what modifications can be made.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2023, 01:38:22 pm »

Espionage. Getting a foot in the door now, before it gets welded shut, is important. The Circus would be a good staging ground, and MoP directly stated it would be harder to do it later on. So let's do it now, and use an Advantage Credit to make sure we do it well.
The GITGUD is also useful for espionage, although its primary use is in opening the door to future electronics. It doesn't have to be perfect, since it will be outclassed fairly quickly.
Quote from: Vroominbox
Gavrilium Radio: (1) TricMagic
Skorost 250psi 4x4 Series-A: (1) TricMagic
Circus of the Stranger: (1) NUKE9.13
-Use Advantage Credit: (1) NUKE9.13
-No Credit:
Gavrilium Information Technology Gear for Uninterpretable Dispatches: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2023, 01:51:35 pm »

So, just going to compile some of my thoughts on the different things that have been proposed so far.

Gavrilium Radio: Gav-transistors make sense. Radios get used pretty much anywhere and everywhere, and they're something we definitely want to invest in. As I think NUKE observed, however, an unencrypted radio can only get you so far in spy work. Nonetheless, I want to revisit this design later. Also salt, lol.

Skorost 250psi 4x4 Series-A: This is a James Bond car. I have to admit it's hella cool and speaks to the power offered by the GGPRO, but my reservation is that it seems, if anything, a little frivolous? It's kind of conspicuous and if a spy's doing a good job, they probably won't need a car like that.

GITGUD: End-to-end encrypted twitter box. It seems super handy, and I'm very tempted to vote for it.

G-Thermite Burn Cord: I'm not sure how much sabotage we're planning on doing. It's a smart idea, I just don't know if that's the direction we should be counting on right now. Get our spies securely in place first, and perhaps then we can revisit the specialty tools.

Shargei Institute: A lot of this design is founded on fear. The UNSA has Caelium, and I don't want us to fall behind. I can only imagine they'll be tinkering with their special resource the whole day long like we're doing with ours, and if we only start on aircraft by the time the shooting starts...

Gavrilium Spirit: I concede that this probably doesn't need a whole design. The fuel application, maybe, but the idea of distilling out a separate product during the manufacturing process of Gasified Gavrilium can surely be done as a revision.

G-Fuel: I like this a weirdly large amount. It makes me think of Dune spice, in a way. Something something MAR. Biological applications are something we should definitely take a look at, though at the moment and in this specific form, for that degree of difficulty, perhaps not.

PAPER MAN: I really think we should do this at some point. It's clever, it's useful, and the name made MoP mad. As he suggested, though, it'd be wise to take the difficulty down a notch first.

Circus of the Stranger: This started off as a shitpost, it has rapidly become not a shitpost. We need spies across the wall, and soon.

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2023, 01:55:54 pm »

Gavrilium Radio: ()
Skorost 250psi 4x4 Series-A: ()
Circus of the Stranger: (2) NUKE9.13, TricMagic
-Use Advantage Credit: (2) NUKE9.13, TricMagic
-No Advantage Credit:
-Use Research Credit: (1) TricMagic
-No Research Credit:
Gavrilium Information Technology Gear for Uninterpretable Dispatches: (2) NUKE9.13, TricMagic

Max Results, Marx Circus.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:59:16 pm by TricMagic »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2023, 02:12:34 pm »

Shargei Institute: ()
Gavrilium Spirit: ()
G-Fuel: ()
G-Thermite Burn Cord: ()
PAPER MAN: ()
Circus of the Stranger: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7
-> Use Advantage Credit: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7
-> No Advantage Credit:
-> Use Research Credit: (1) TricMagic
-> No Research Credit: (1) D7
Gavrilium Information Technology Gear for Uninterpretable Dispatches: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7
-> Use Research Credit: (1) D7
-> No Research Credit:

I think I'd rather spend the credits on two different applications than just on one. It's only a Hard proposal, after all.

Avanti!

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2023, 02:35:57 pm »

Circus of the Stranger: (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7, TFF
-> Use Advantage Credit: (4) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7, TFF
-> No Advantage Credit:
-> No Research Credit: (1) D7
Gavrilium Information Technology Gear for Uninterpretable Dispatches: (3) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7
-> Use Research Credit: (2) D7, TFF
-> No Research Credit:

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2023, 02:38:03 pm »

-> No Advantage Credit:
-> No Research Credit: (3) D7, TFF, NUKE9.13
-> Use Research Credit: (2) D7, TFF
-> No Research Credit: (2) TricMagic, NUKE9.13
Fixing up the RC votes, since a vote for an RC for one thing is effectively a vote against it for another (since we only have the one). Also I want to save it, although I can see the argument for using it.

E: Also, WIP thing for propaganda:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:26:33 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2023, 06:05:33 pm »

-> No Advantage Credit:
-> No Research Credit: (3) D7, TFF, NUKE9.13
-> Use Research Credit: (3) D7, TFF, Doomblade

We ball.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2023, 07:07:15 pm »

Changed my mind a bit. If we're using the RC, I'd rather we do the Circus really well than do both okayish.
-> No Advantage Credit:
-> Use Research Credit: (2) TricMagic, NUKE9.13
-> No Research Credit: (3) D7, TFF, Doomblade
-> Use Research Credit: (3) D7, TFF, Doomblade

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2023, 07:09:44 pm »

-> No Advantage Credit:
-> Use Research Credit: (3) TricMagic, NUKE9.13, D7
-> No Research Credit: (2) TFF, Doomblade
Gavrilium Information Technology Gear for Uninterpretable Dispatches: (5) NUKE9.13, TricMagic, D7, TFF, Doomblade
-> Use Research Credit: (2) TFF, Doomblade
-> No Research Credit: (3) TricMagic, NUKE9.13, D7

Screw it, all in on the clown college. I also edited for clarity that the people voting for credits actually got included in the overall vote total. Lemme know if I'm mistaken by doing so.

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CWAR: SFS Thread // Revision Phase // Summer 1946
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2023, 12:22:03 am »

Design Phase

Proposal: Circus of the Stranger (Advantage Credit, Resource Credit)
Difficulty: Hard
Result: (3+1) (6+6)-1+1=12, Unexpected Boon

Performers are a dime a dozen. Great performers are a little less common. Great performers capable of effectively plying their skills and trades in a willing effort to support the state? Maybe a little less common. Fortunately, the Circus of the Stranger (Tsirk Neznakomtsa in the appropriate tongue) is an established institution within the state, with a founding dating back hundreds of years when decadent royalty required personal grandiose entertainment exclusively for themselves.

Tsirk Neznakomtsa is a large traveling troupe of performers of all sorts, trained in academies with histories almost as old as the Selicates themselves and instructed by only the greatest, strictest, most demanding performers that themselves were one members of Tsirk Neznakomtsa. Their shows tend to be abstract in the extreme, with performers portraying themes, ideas, and concepts as often as they portray characters. Theatrics, acrobatics, and dance are integral to every performance and impressive beyond belief. Venues (when large enough arenas are available - they perform under a bigtop tent otherwise) where Tsirk Neznakomtsa performs sell out seats in an extremely quick fashion, since there are many, many people who would kill just to experience one show (and be fine with the execution afterward). Many modern performers around the world cite seeing Tsirk Neznakomtsa as the inspiration for why they became who they are today.

The performers aren't the only people involved with Tsirk Neznakomtsa - carpenters, rigging techs, make-up artists, costume designers, and in the modern age sound and video technicians, are but some of the vital roles that keep the machine well-oiled. Like the performers, only those at the top of their field are even taken into consideration as worthy of working within and alongside Tsirk Neznakomtsa. Trade schools and apprenticeships tied directly to Tsirk Neznakomtsa help in ensuring the highest quality of laborers, techs, and engineers are provided and indoctrinated properly into the ways and workings of Tsirk Neznakomtsa. The academies and schools also double to help stem the attritional losses caused by the extremely high-paced and demanding work environment.

The problematic origin of Tsirk Neznakomtsa proves beneficial in this day and age. Surely a preCommunist establishment full of free spirits with generations-old ties to the imperial state would be unlikely to align itself to a proper Communist government or adopt its values! This fact is leveraged to a great degree when negotiating their ability perform in UNSA territory, and without much opposition Tsirk Neznakomtsa is granted the opportunity to regularly perform in North Harren City as a cultural and diplomatic mission (and popular opinion would batter UNSA if they forbid this glorious institution).

But of course, very few ever see what goes on inside the academies and schools that feed Tsirk Neznakomtsa, well, everyone it needs. The entire organization was restructured in secret from the ground up after the collapse of the previous government, and Tsirk Neznakomtsa now aims to serve the state entirely. Eyes, ears, and occasionally other parts of the body [GM Note: You won't be getting a sex scene you degenerates, but I mean these are some beautiful people and that might get referenced from time to time] are extremely useful for gathering information, especially when willingly invited within the borders of a nation on less-than-friendly terms with the Selicate Federation.

Tsirk Neznakomtsa can be expected to greatly ease intelligence operations north of The Wall thanks to some of the performers expanding their specializations to the more covert side of international affairs. They aren't the only people on-hand within the organization though, and plenty of minds tuned to expertise in a wide variety of fields accompany the performing troupe. There likely isn't much that the people of Tsirk Neznakomtsa will miss.

Tsirk Neznakomtsa is a triumph of Federation intelligence operations. It is a (NATIONAL EFFORT] as it is very much unique. While the ease of access into UNSA territory is certainly nothing to shake a stick at, Tsirk Neznakomtsa will also provide the Selicate Federation with much greater detail on UNSA projects visible in some way to the public eye than casual observation or passive intelligence (newspapers, television, etc.) could ever provide.

Proposal: Gavrilium Information Technology Gear for Uninterpretable Dispatches
Difficulty: Hard
Result: (3+1)-1=3, Buggy Mess

The GITGUD is a pair of devices intended to use Gavrilium Evaluators (wafers of highly processed Gavrilium) in lieu of the common remote communications technology of today in order to (relatively) miniaturize the radios themselves. These still bulky machines (barely managing to fit into a just short of comically oversized briefcase) use a knob numbered 1 to 32 for input of a "key" that scrambles or deciphers messages using a Cesarian Cipher - that is, every letter in the message is shifted to another letter a number of positions forward in the alphabet away from the original based on the input of the key dial (when sending) or shifted back (when receiving). All devices work on the same radio frequency in an effort to minimize detection or interception from snooping efforts, so sent messages are received across all powered GITGUD(R)s (using a hand-cranked rechargeable battery with around an hour of life when full). A dial on the device allows the operator to swap frequencies to another channel should the system be deemed compromised. Unfortunately modifying the frequency of the GITGUD units seems to put undue stress on the gavrilium wafers. Modulating frequency is usually followed by a pop, some smoke, and if one is really unlucky, a fire. For this reason the frequency in use is not usually changed unless there is certainty beyond a doubt of compromization.

GITGUD costs 5 Gavrilium until we manage to cut down on the amount of gavrilium being used up for maintenance and replacement of damaged parts, 4 Ore, and, thanks to the overly bulky GITGUDs and briefcases themselves, 3 Wood, making it a (NATIONAL EFFORT) with only a single pair in use until problems can be fixed or funding otherwise secured.

----------------

It is now the Revision Phase. You have two actions with which you can modify your existing armory.

Spoiler: SFS Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resource Nodes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harren PoIs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Islands Map (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CWAR: SFS Thread // Revision Phase // Summer 1946
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2023, 12:52:23 am »

Holy god.

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2023, 02:37:49 am »

Quote from: Li-4.20 Commercial VIP Luxury transport.

Designed to appeal to the Northern interest in vast displays of wealth in a way not easily copyable by their contemporaries, The Li-4.20 is a modified Lizing Li-4 Bomber, replacing its internal bomb bay with a pressurized internal compartment, Featuring 8, plushly cushioned benches, a full alcohol bar, tables while being waited on by attentive and attractive attendents, enabling decadent capitalists to fly through the skies in comfort even as they ply themselves to the alcohol made expressly available.

These Luxury rented transports are expensive to use, serving as both status symbols and luxury travel at the same time. During these flights, Wealthy and powerful, decadent northerners are served and waited on by airline stewardesses, tapped from the customer service department of the Tsirk Neznakomtsa, who are trained on how to best innocently prey information from the lips of the decadent even as they feed their ego innocently.

In order to ensure the Li-4.20 can actually hold its niche, The Engines of the Li-4 have been replaced with GGpro High pressures, ensuring the Plane is Faster than any contemporary commercial transit plane can afford to be, serving to further the image of prestige that hiring the services of such a plane can present to foreigners.

By appealing to the Decadence of the Northerners, we should be able to pry both Cash and Information from their lips.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2023, 04:00:44 am »

"Temnaya Vintovka"-46 Marksman Variant

Building on our existing rifle, the TV-46m in a specifically adapted variant for high-precision shooting. Replacing the standard barrel for a high-quality match barrel, a fixed x4 magnification telescopic sight and overall improving the quality of materials craftsman used making the weapon.

Sakhonet Sak-2A

Stripping out the old ICE engine for a GGPRO High Pressure engine, the Sak-2A fighter is intended to be out initial aeronautics foray and testbed for using such an engine in aerial altitudes.

Replacing the old mechanical engine with an electrical one offers a few new advantages with which to apply to the craft, most critical of which is the replacement of the plane's hydraulics a "fly-by-wire" system, part experimental and part to solve the fighter's reputation for poor manoeuvrability. Additionally, the lighter engine and use of electrical motors for the propeller enables the 2A to reach higher speeds through the removal of mechanical transmission from the engine to the propellor itself, and likely make flying the craft a little more comfortable for the pilot as well (Much less vibration and noise, you see.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13