Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nuclear weapons?  (Read 682 times)

Astolfo Piededoro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nuclear weapons?
« on: January 14, 2023, 08:08:13 am »

Hello there and friendly greetings!

I am fairly new in DF world and got hooked immediately. And almost immediately I noticed a huge thing missing in this game!  ;)

Just kidding here but bear with me... Uranium is missing. And so is missing the preparation of uranium isotopes.

I understood that there are no explosives in the games, yet I came across this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2911116219&searchtext=powder and something clicked in my brain.

Also, this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2903409449&searchtext=explosive+cat is available so here is my idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW ORE + NEW WORKSHOP
URANIUM : you can find it in caves in the form of Uranium 238, nonfissile.
ENRICHER : workshop to process U238 into Uranium 235, fissile & U235 into Plutonium 239, fissile
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, you combine the blast powder inside an iron (from the Blast Powder MOD)
Then combine the arquebuse with the U235 inside another cartridge and you obtain a small atomic bomb!

You can even go further by using the ENRICHER workshop to turn the U235 into Plutonium 239, fissile.

Then put P239 and a small atomic bomb inside another cartridge to obtain a small hydrogen bomb!

At this point it would be possible to use the damage dealt by this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2903409449&searchtext=explosive+cat to calculate and reproduce the yeld of these two bombs.

The points are:
  • I totally don't know how to make mods. I don't know how to make new ore and I don't know how to make new workshop, let alone to make them work together! That's why I asked for help here!
  • Uranium should be relatively rare to find
  • The average yeld of those weapons should be, more or less, 1/5 of Mark III and Little Boy respectively (~21Kt and ~16Kt) that would be ~4Kt and ~3Kt. I don't know how to convert those values in "dwarf fortress yeld measurement" tho....

So, any help is absolutely greatly appreciated here.

Also, if anyone should or would like to work on this mod on their own, I kindly ask that they remember me and at least give me credit for the idea. Thanks in advance.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nuclear weapons?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 08:31:24 am »

I think we might need a dossier for new modders to read explaining what [RAW] mods are versus memory editing, because requests for typically inaccessible modding projects and questions about altering the interface is almost a daily occurrence on and off the forums.

I like your determination, but the game engine isn't capable of these kind of feats right now, with DFhack nightly-uploads for steam being experimental and the extent of raw modding.

1) Both of the mods don't foray into the actual subject. (Blast powder is pretend arquebuses, the cats are heat radiant-hot to the touch and not explosive)

2) A actual REAL example of explosive DFhack script-sorcery can be found here, which deals with the logic of how the explosions are calculated against-wall strength, but has since been mostly suspended due to the user being exceptionally quiet in coming months.

Astolfo Piededoro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:22:19 am »

Oh, I understand.So basically it would require a high level hack of some sort (something I am totally not capable of anyway) to achieve what I would like...

Alright. Methink to start easy. At least methink it should be easy, please correct me if I am wrong here.

As far as I have seen, it should not be an hassle to insert a new ore, Uranium 238 right? Nothing fancy, let's call it atest for myself to understand the basic concepts of MODding.

The idea is to extract it and then eventually refine it into Uranium 235 and then refine it again into Plutonium 239 with the ENRICHER workshop.
What to do with these three minerals? Nothing. So far. Just learn the basics. Eventually, in the future, I could do the NUCLEAR workshop to create uranium pellet or uranium oxide (the yellow cake).

Since explosions are not feasable, methink I could start from here for the sheer pleasure to do something and then let's see what will happen.
I'd like to ask you one last favour: would you address me some resources to read to start understanding the basic for what I need? Adding new ore to DF, adding new workshop and building the interactions of workshops and new ores?I hope I made myself clear enough.... :D

Thank you very much for your explanation! I really appreciate it! Have a great day and a great weekend!  8)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 06:13:59 pm »

Looking at the raws (the files in data/vanilla) should give you a good idea of what can or can't be modded.
Here's the modding guide for regular modding.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modding

Anything more complicated requires DFHack (and even then may not be possible). This isn't an open source game where you just get to play with the code.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 06:32:35 pm »

Technically, uranium isn’t actually missing. Pitchblende is an ore of uranium, the dwarves just can’t refine it in vanilla.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 05:43:56 pm »

Technically, uranium isn’t actually missing. Pitchblende is an ore of uranium, the dwarves just can’t refine it in vanilla.
That's quite funny:
In Real Life:
Fortunately, dwarves are immune to the effects of ionizing radiation, and, provided they remain safe from other forms of fun, they can live long, happy, healthy lives dwelling in bedrooms and dining rooms carved out of pitchblende deposits and furnished by pitchblende tables and chairs.

Good to know real-life dwarves are living happily in the uranium mines of Kazakhstan.