Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Objects dropped in towns  (Read 700 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Objects dropped in towns
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

I managed to raid one of my old fortresses (after having 5 or 6 promising adventurers beaten to death with a pair of steel greaves by a frog demon) to get some of the exceptional steel armor I had made when... to my horror.. I can't wear it because it is small sized!

If I drop it in the middle of a town, and remember which town it is, then come back with a dwarf adventurer will it still be there?

If not, does weighing down old adventurers with stones so they can't move, then retiring and beating them to death with your new adventurer make the whole race hostile to you?

Edit: super bonus points question, is there some reason that every time I picked up an artifact, it went into my bag AND stayed on the ground? and when dropped it vanished? Can you not take artifacts, or is my game just messed up?

[ September 13, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Objects dropped in towns
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:30:00 am »

1- If you drop it in the middle of a town, itll get put somewhere random on that towns map, but if you put it in a backpack and leave the backpack there, it'll be open for taking by your next adventurer, never moving.

2- I would imagine so.

3- The artifact probably bugged because your savegame got corrupted. Sometimes, "freak accident program terminations" can have that effect.

[ September 13, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

[ September 13, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

Backpacks are meant to stay put? I don't think I can remember having that ever happen. I've been chasing backpacks around just like I chase anything else. They've even disappeared completely.

Maybe I just waited too long before I went to retrieve it? I explored a dungeon between dropping it and returning for it.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:22:00 am »

Hm, never seen a backpack disappear (from a town).  This will have to eventually be investigated......

[ September 13, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 12:39:00 am »

Every time a container is dropped in a non-instanced area, it seems to get saved and stay put as far as I've seen.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

Not if you drop in a fort then reclaim it as far as i have seen.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

The answer is quite simple. You're trying to play some kind of mindlink between you'r different adventurers. Why would that ever work?
"It's unpossible!"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

It would work because I don't roleplay dwarf fortress. It's just a game, who cares? If I want one adventurer to grab a pile of goodies, then carry 8 tons of rocks so another can beat them to death later to get the goodies, so be it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied   :)

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!