Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My local elves are farming gemstones.  (Read 941 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My local elves are farming gemstones.
« on: January 12, 2023, 11:08:05 pm »

They appear to be growing yellow grossulars like they grow trees.  :o
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: My local elves are farming gemstones.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 09:51:57 am »

I believe it is the pedestal which is "grown". But I've noticed that elves bring many "grown" items, including clothing made from common plants, not only wooden items.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 03:42:00 pm »

I think "grown" just means all the wood components are elf kosher.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 08:38:41 pm »

I choose to believe Satan's post, because it is so much cooler to think the elves are farming gems.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 09:30:10 pm »

It appears to be caused by this bug.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 09:56:16 pm »

I choose to believe Satan's post, because it is so much cooler to think the elves are farming gems.

I can imagine that deep down inside this makes dwarves extremely furious since they can't do the same. Could even be that that's where all the elf-hate stems from... :P

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:59:49 pm »

I can imagine that deep down inside this makes dwarves extremely furious since they can't do the same. Could even be that that's where all the elf-hate stems from... :P

…says the tree-hugger apologist.  Everyone knows they just steal the stuff!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 12:08:34 am »

I always suspected that elves secretly chop wood and call it "grown". Now they claim to be growing inorganic things as well.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 06:12:05 am »

I always suspected that elves secretly chop wood and call it "grown". Now they claim to be growing inorganic things as well.

Grown wolf teeth amulet was the most heretical grown item i've seen. Elven stem cell technology or somethin.  :P

But really when you pull it apart and use a script to apply the flag to your own desired items, all grown is, is a modifier signifying the organic status is set to false.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 06:55:35 am »

The elven technique for cultivating living gemstones is similar to the harvest of frankincense, rubber, or maple syrup. A chosen tree is spliced with powdered jewel-dust and left to grow for twelve years. At this point, healthy trees are chosen for extrication. The arborist cuts a small incision into the trunk, with the size and shape of this incision determining the final shape of the gemstone. Other factors include the types of jewels used to create the seed powder and the species of tree chosen to host the magical process. After two years, enough raw material has accumulated to break off in a single chunk, which is cut into proper shapes through the normal gemcutting process.