Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma crabs not firing  (Read 569 times)

arka0415

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma crabs not firing
« on: January 12, 2023, 07:16:22 pm »

I tried making some Magma Crab pillboxes, but unfortunately they haven't fired at anything. Here's the setup:

Each crab is behind a fortification, with a retractable drawbridge to block line-of-sight if needed. I tried chaining some ducks in front of them, and some odd things began happening:

• Both the magma crabs and the ducks became "Terrified while in conflict"
  • The ducks moved away from the magma crabs, as if trying to run away (but restrained)
  • The magma crabs didn't appear to shoot, but the ducks quickly became Tired
  • No combat notifications appeared, even though the ducks were apparently reacting to the magma crabs
  • All of my magma crabs have the "Vision lost" tag for some reason

Either way, nothing at all seemed to happen. I later opened the gates and let dwarves walk back and forth in front of the crabs, but nothing happened then either.

Have I not set this up properly, or do magma crab pillboxes not work anymore? Thanks!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma crabs not firing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 11:06:27 am »

Try placing the ducks closer to the crabs.

I'm not sure if the mechanics are related, but a silk farm works fine like that.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 07:29:29 pm »

In the caves, giant cave spiders might attack a hauler but they won't spit webs at them, but if you send a squad of military after that spider then it will fire webs madly at them, and crabs might also respond like this if you send a squad walking past them.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 09:57:32 pm »

Are the crabs tame?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 05:15:29 pm »

Magma Crabs are cowards.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

arka0415

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 07:10:15 pm »

In the caves, giant cave spiders might attack a hauler but they won't spit webs at them, but if you send a squad of military after that spider then it will fire webs madly at them, and crabs might also respond like this if you send a squad walking past them.

Thanks, I think this was the issue! I had dwarves, cats, ducks, and some herdable animals out there, and they never shot. So I gave up and just left the drawbridges open; lo and behold, the first Human merchant caravan that arrives was promptly blasted into ash, causing a forest fire that torched the entire map. So I guess they only work on entities that the game tags as "military" or "hostile" to some extent?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 08:15:33 pm »

The caravan guards... :p
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 05:29:24 am »

...blasted into ash, causing a forest fire that torched the entire map...
Congratulations on your success! 
You bring honor to dwarves everywhere. 
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."