Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck new invaders (minor spoiler)  (Read 1443 times)

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuck new invaders (minor spoiler)
« on: January 11, 2023, 06:03:21 pm »

I have this problem with serpent men invasion, I don't know if i'm the only one experiencing it.
Each time there is an attack, there is always one group or two which can't get out of the water and stays close to the edge. They then stay there forever, unless I send my military but it results in a lot of drowning (and even then a lot of them still won't come out).

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they weren't accumulating a little more each time. I'm afraid it will mess up with my fort performance or invader cap on the long run.
Do you guys have any idea how to deal with that without half my army drowning ?

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck new invaders (minor spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 07:55:16 pm »

Kill the ones there, then send your engineers to channel a nice beach for them so the next ones can get out?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 09:20:58 pm »

Each time there is an attack, there is always one group or two which can't get out of the water and stays close to the edge. They then stay there forever, unless I send my military but it results in a lot of drowning (and even then a lot of them still won't come

This same exact thing happened to me and destroyed FPS as it occurred. perhaps some issue prevents pathing over water-filled slopes.. it would be nice not to be forced to consider the needs of inept invaders. for now I will create a 'red carpet' of sorts to encourage timely appearances by our guests

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 06:22:12 am »

I tried building slopes, no results.

I then tried this :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well it released the one directly in front of the hole but not the others.
It seems that they can get out when they have a dwarf directly in their line of sight, but not always.

for now I will create a 'red carpet' of sorts to encourage timely appearances by our guests

You mean building a nice beach as Magnus suggested ? Does it work only for new raids ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:59:41 am by Kait »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 09:52:14 am »

It's been years since I've played older versions of the game, but this is a long standing problem isn't it?  I believe it has something to do with pathfinding not working for underwater creatures, so they won't actively seek anything out if they're underwater and just wander aimlessly until they randomly reach the shore and suddenly have a path to a target.  I don't know if there were any general solutions or workarounds.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 11:53:22 am »

I tried building slopes, no results.

I then tried this :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well it released the one directly in front of the hole but not the others.
It seems that they can get out when they have a dwarf directly in their line of sight, but not always.

for now I will create a 'red carpet' of sorts to encourage timely appearances by our guests

You mean building a nice beach as Magnus suggested ? Does it work only for new raids ?

I'm actually avoiding opening the caverns because this issue literally DESTROYS fps after a few years of buildup. and the invaders are potent enough that most fortresses cannot go toe-to-toe without lots of pain and death, especially when drowning is an issue. but in my next fortress I will experiment and report back..

some kind of time-controlled bridge that reveals a bait creature, positioned near the water's edge, now that might work to bring them out of the lake and onto land proper. otherwise, I was thinking of just walling off the cavern lakes with magma and forcing land invasions only.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 04:37:05 pm »

I tried to deal with the olm men in my cavern lake. They began pouring in from the map edge as I did so.

Had to station a squad right on the edge to stop them from building their numbers and flanking the original squad.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 12:49:19 pm »

I have the same problem on the surface with visitors in my current fort.  Found 3 sitting underwater at the map edge where a river enters.  I channeled a slope next to that edge and so far one came out an pathed into my fort.  So hopefully it will gradually sort out.  Probably should put slopes at entry exits of waterways in general.

Also, did rivers streams impede wagon entry from the only available entry point to the trade depot in past versions?  I don't remember that behavior.  I have the situation now where my trade depot is underground in my fort linked to surface map edge with an underground road, but that is north of a river.  That is not forcing the caravans to enter on north side unlike the way I THINK I remember it working in the past.  I can work around it, but it's taken me hours to rule out other possibilities before discovering this.  Annoying...

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 11:30:10 am »

I had a visitor who got buggy and murderous wind up in a similar situation and was able to simply seal him away, but he's a little different as he does not consistently scare civs and only attacks if adjacent (and for whatever reason neither he nor my soldiers considered the pond adjacent to shore).

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 12:30:17 pm »

I tried to shoot them throught fortifications, but they come faster than I can kill them (extremely efficient way to train marksdwarves tho). I've now got like an hundred more stuck in another part of the caverns.

For now I will just disable cave invaders entirely and wait for Dfhack to clean this mess, hopefully it will restore my FPS.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 02:18:21 pm »

Honestly with invaders turned on, I really dislike the caverns. It got to the point where I simply shut closed its access bridge, walled it off, and let the FBs and animal people have it out. Entertainingly enough, the FB all ended up losing, except for those who were literally blocked in place by excessive trees.

There was one spear-toting cave birdman whose skill hit legendary at some point. Those kinds of visitors really tickle my fancy.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 04:43:09 pm »

Update:
My olm men seem to have stopped coming after I killed enough of them. I drained the lake to kill the last of the stragglers. There weren't nearly as many bat men in the lower cavern, where I'm not farming. Not sure if you get a certain amount based on agitation, or if there were just fewer bat men to extinct.

Edit: The bat men are back, and they brought animals.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 04:21:16 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?