Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: most embarrassing death  (Read 4028 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: most embarrassing death
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 12:18:00 am »

That's what you get for arming the dang giant!  He probably didn't even know how to rub sticks together to make fire before, but now he's going to invent the wheel and eventually Greek fire before learning how to saddle and ride elephants, after which he will embark on a quest for world domination.

Remember, those suckers live for hundreds of years... there's no limit to what he might figure out, now that his horizons have been expanded...

Hmm, sounds like fighting giants would be a lot more interesting if they spawned with weapons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 05:08:00 am »

Yeah, well, until someone breaks his brain with a monarch butterfly..

speeder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

The most worse death was mine! It was my first adventurer, after four months (IRL) of dwarf fortress, on the SAME fortress (and I even do not crossed the river, great fortress  :) My dwarves got tantruming and I decided to finally "test" the adventurer mode...

I used the "Start Now!" thing, walked to my farm, pushed the lever, and started to walk on the water, to see how the game behaves...

Result after walking around for some time:
You drowned.

:/

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

A similar thing happened to me when my adventurer got knocked into a cave river, thought he was swimming, but he drowned after a bit.

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

My first adventurer was swarmed and eaten by three Lions as soon as he spawned....

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

Thats why you dont choose the 'play now' option.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 08:23:00 am »

Not the most embarassing of all time, but rather anticlimactic all the same. I was playing an immensely successful Swordsman(I don't think I got to Swordsmaster, though). With a well-made iron breastplate and an exceptionally made iron two-handed sword, he could cut down almost anything in his path.

So I decided to try my prowess against my previous fortress, which was destroyed by a demon after mining too much adamantium. Previously I had gone in with a very skilled speardwarf, but he got tangled up in a spiderweb and was slowly torn to bits. So I was very careful about trying again. Now, however, my swordsman could hack the limbs of ettins and giants in a single blow and he had half a dozen or so followers with him, two of which had earned additional names.

The first try at the fortress went well to begin with. The meeting hall was full to the brim with weak monsters, but also a few named giant cave spiders. Only losing a couple of followers who got mobbed, I cleared the room and went on.

Only to be faced with the same demon that slaughtered the entire fortress's population to begin with. One flameball had me crawling out with a broken leg with only one follower while the demon was occupied with killing another.

Later I returned again, even stronger but with fewer and weaker followers. This time the demon's fiery breath missed me and one swing cut open the devil's stomach. Finishing the beast off, I advanced further. My last companion got separated and was killed by a giant dave spider. I quickly avenged his death. Soon I got lost in the tunnels and wandered into a sidehall, stepped onto a trap and was attacked by four daggers, one of which cut my lower body and had me vomiting all over.

Loaded with loot(masterpiece platinum amulets and other precious metal jewelry of similar quality) and not feeling well at all, I decided to call it a day. But as I went through the wide gate, I took another path than when I entered.

The spinning -enormous bronze corkscrew- strikes You in the upper body!
It is pierced through completely!
You have been killed by a trap

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

Rofl.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

Killing demons? I need me one of those fortress thingies!
You die in the heat.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 11:19:00 am »

I've had a somewhat successful swordsman recently. I was able to block most attacks with my shield, and counterattack at the same time. I slew an ettin with more or less no effort (when I stopped trying to charge him), because the ettin couldn't get past my block even if he managed to knock me down with a charge. The bronze scimitar couldn't deal all that much damage though, and the ettin was all in little cuts by the time I was able to land a lucky stroke and break his leg, felling him and continuing to hack away until he bled to death.
That accomplished, I got a new quest to kill a giant, got a few drunks this time, and went in. Finding the giant soon enough, I was faced with the fact that I couldn't beat him, despite most of his attacks bumping against the shield. Thus, I fell back, allowing the drunks to shield me while I devise a plan. The planning was put to an end by a blow from the giant that got through and landed on the head. That knocked me out cold, and the giant strangled two drunks to death while I lay there attempting to reboot.
Finally coming to, I found that, being knocked unconscious, I let fall my scimitar and shield. Having picked them up, I've come to the rather disappointing conclusion that I don't know how to wield them...  the old method of 'r'emoving them from the backpack didn't work - they listed as 'hauled', and dropped down as soon as I moved. I've tried various experiments with this, to no avail, until I finally understood that the giant was already finishing mangling the last of my drunken company, and it was high time to do something. My collection of live flies didn't do anything as to damage the giant, as well as the rocks lying around. Not wanting to part with the trusty weapons of mine, I tried a desperate wrestling assault at the giant, to no avail, and as I was getting up after being counterattacked, the giant cast away the last meat shield that I had, and, with a quick flurry of hits, ended my miserable existence.
I guess being unable to wield eapons is a bug of the new version, though I am quite unsure still, and will experiment more before reporting.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

I think that as long as your hands are empty you should automatically "equip" the sword and shield.
You die in the heat.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

And that's the funny thing. I've tried it again now, and the weapon is auto-equipped. I'm very sure the first item I picked up after standing up was the sword, the shield was the second, and yet they ended up in my pack. Maybe it has somthing to do with dropping them due to something? I'm not quite sure WHY I let them fall, because I don't recall any other attack effect other than stun. My arms were very much in one piece, too. Weird bug... I'll try a few more swordsmen to see if anything like that happens again.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

I think my most embarasing death was when I got a quest to kill a hydra... My character was a fairly decent swordswoman/thrower so I thought, what the hell...

I tried to ambush the thing, threw 3 stones, two of which didn't do anything and one did one of those nasty head mangling hits, so I went in with the sword and on the first strike it got stuck in one of the necks (if the game actually counts for more... this was the only hydra I ever fought) and the thing didn't give in to pain and I thought it never would, so I tried to pull back and lost my sword, without backups or anything, I ran like hell... Go elven speed + good agility... Obviously I ran into a giant who broke all my limbs meticulously.

Dumbest Bees

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

So I had just barely slain a dragon with an iron scimitar and slaughtered everyone in his cave. Feeling fairly confident, I walked outside and, for no reason, started a fire by a lake.

Instantly scalded by my own fire.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

I bet we'll see and experience a lot more stupid amd embarrasing deaths now that fire is (more or less) completed and implemented.

Pages: 1 [2] 3