Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coolest randomly generated kobold fortress  (Read 1323 times)

Egarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coolest randomly generated kobold fortress
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

So, I started out an adventure mode game today, and decided to explore some unknown areas.  I roll up Atu Osnonnonu the orcish swordsman (I changed my dwarves into orcs) and headed south.  I came across a sea of ice, and decided to see if there was anything beyond it, wont get a chance after winter anyway, so its now or wait a year.  So heading across the sea, I spot a small island (4 squares) and head towards it.

I get there and find a cave, The First Bronze Night of Howels.

(Small island on the very bottom, sample from my exported worldmap)

I go there, and start off on a field of frozen sea.

I head south and find that it is in fact, a kobold cave/fortress.

Atu fought bravely for a few minutes before stumbling into an Elite Bowkobold and dying.

I just wanted to share this fortress I found.  I thought it was pretty awesome that there was a kobold fortress whose entrance opened up directly into a sea of frozen water that could only be gotten to in winter.  Pretty epic stuff right there.

[ June 14, 2007: Message edited by: Egarb ]

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
Re: Coolest randomly generated kobold fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

ur pictures dont work btw
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Egarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

Gah, sorry bout that. Fixed it.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

I dont even bother going across the glaciers in my world, after all the explorers that have been attacked while on one, and drowned, and others that lived to find nothing, It's pretty much a lost cause to find some grand secret in there, except for a large amount of long-lost fortresses.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:34:00 am »

Speaking of getting drowned..  what does a phrase "(somebody) was encased (imprisoned, etc.) in adamantine there" refer to, in reference to a kobold fortress? The adventurer who found it was brutally killed by kobold children (the bowmen were slain by an accompanying pikeman), so I didn't have a chance to go deep. Even stranger, I could squeeze that phrase out of the mayor only once. When he talked about that area later, he only said it was dangerous.......

I've never found adamantine in that world (or ever, for that matter), so I obviously didn't have any fortress posessing it. I also never fell to a goblin siege...

Hidden fun stuff?

edit: to keep on topic: my coolest (literrally) kobold fortress was so isolated, I barely got to it. Suffice to say, my meat reserves were frozen solid by the time I got there after all random encounters. I don't have a screenshot, but it was the 'north pole' of the world, where a massive frozen sea was surrounding a large mountain. Carved into the mountain, starting some 3 squares from the top of the map, was a 1-wide 'canyon' that went in a crooked line some 15 squares into the mountain, where I found a small forest (!!) and a fort. The forest was green, not white.(!!!) Quite unsurprisingly, my poor half-frozen adventurer didn't survive in that fort, and I doubt any researcher will dare to go there again, for the trip is long and dangerous, so the history of that character will remain a mystery.

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

Egarb

It looks like Kobolds can fall victim to permaflood, as well! :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Speaking of getting drowned..  what does a phrase "(somebody) was encased (imprisoned, etc.) in adamantine there" refer to, in reference to a kobold fortress? </STRONG>

usually refers to the demon thats inside the adamantine under every dwarf fortress you build.  i've never seen it in reference to a kobold fortress, and i find it very unlikely that the kobold fort is deep enough for you to see the adamantine there.

although kobolds with adamantine artifact weapons would be pretty effed-up.

is that site by any chance a potential starting location for a dwarf fort?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 05:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>
is that site by any chance a potential starting location for a dwarf fort?</STRONG>

Now THAT is an entirely plausible assumption. I'll check.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 07:26:00 am »

I wonder, if you burn the entire square to the ground in adventurer, and then start a fort on that square, will you end up with a pristine forest or an ashen wasteland?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

I think you'd have to be able to get to the site in question first. Which you aren't, as far as I'm aware.

As for the "encased in adamantine" thing, I was wrong. He was talking not about a paticular fortress, but an entire mountain. I don't know if it's common or not, but the Old Geared Barb has 7 dwarf fortress start sites "interleaved" with 6 kobold fortresses. It's not too large, the distance between kobold fortresses is 6 cells at most. But if I ever do get to adamantine in that mountain, I will already know the name of the fiend to be my bane: Luxam Glenjackal.

On another note, a "Mission:REVENGE" has taken place at the Old Geared Barb. The next adventurer I sent there received a quest from the local mayor to kill Snang Sneerbad the goblin child who mortally wounded my last adventurer, Bikda Hammercall the Slim Pinnacle of Dance. The mission, undertaken by a master swordsman and two drunks, ended in failure. Till next time then, I guess.  :)

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

So does Too Deeping a fortress eliminate all other sites in the same region, since the demon is already released? If not, can you release the same demon multiple times, and kill it twice in Adventurer Mode?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »

It picks the 5 largest mountain ranges, sticks 10 start sites on each one, and one demon per range.  Once it's out and deceased, all the start sites in that range should be nullified.  You can release it multiple times from the same range, but the hist fig just wanders back and forth as needed for adv mode until it's dead.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neopergoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

This begs the question...what happens if you kill all five demons?  Is fortress mode disabled for that world?  I'm going to have to find out...

Neat, I can remove earlier edit notifications, just not the last one.

[ July 10, 2007: Message edited by: Neopergoss ]

A: brb
B: what does "brb" mean?
A: be right back
B: (aww...why do they always leave whenever I ask them that?)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

I never killed more then 1 demon before the universe was devoured by the dimensional rift called -3.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE