Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Was Boatmurdered a randomly generated name?  (Read 1353 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Was Boatmurdered a randomly generated name?
« on: January 08, 2023, 10:48:25 am »

It won't change how hilarious or awesome the story was, I'm just curious whether this now legendary name was deliberately chosen by a person or if we have the random name generator to thank for it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Was Boatmurdered a randomly generated name?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 11:12:37 am »

I believe it was randomly generated. Boatmurdered was in one of the earlist versions of DF. I think it was 0.22, and even before the ability to set population caps.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 05:13:55 pm »

for a looong time it was sort of frowned upon to edit the RNG fortress titles, at least with succession fortresses. I imagine it was random but you would have to seek out the original SA thread if it still exists

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 06:51:43 pm »

for a looong time it was sort of frowned upon to edit the RNG fortress titles, at least with succession fortresses. I imagine it was random but you would have to seek out the original SA thread if it still exists

Here it is from the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070710201109/http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

Note that the fromearth.net domain appears to be for sale…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 02:49:41 am »

I don't remember any "frowning uppons" and I am in this forums for 15+ years now. Everybody plays the way they want and that what makes df great. And anyone here for a long time seems to me to understand this.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 05:22:19 am »

In 2D dwarf fortress, you could not specify the name of your embark in any way, it was enforced to be random.  So yes, Boatmurdered was random.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 12:35:44 pm »

I don't remember any "frowning uppons" and I am in this forums for 15+ years now. Everybody plays the way they want and that what makes df great. And anyone here for a long time seems to me to understand this.

well, not in any specific gatekeeping sense no - but it was extremely rare for custom fortress names with nonstandard grammar to be used and part of that was tradition....

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 12:21:20 am »

I always preferred random names anyhow. If I do want to rename a fort, it happens years into the game, when I don't think it is possible any more. Like year 5 of the fort I think of as "Alligator Creek", when I realised none of my dorfs had all four of the limbs they'd been born with any more... Not even the kids. It had a randomly generated name, I just don't remember it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!