Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Razing the Goblin Dark Fortress  (Read 1030 times)

Asdfe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Razing the Goblin Dark Fortress
« on: January 08, 2023, 12:40:16 am »

Alright, so picture this:

Right now I'm in a pocket world. 107 years of The Goblin Age, 7 in this fortress. There's about 10 elves, 60 humans, 400 dwarves (half in my fortress), and about 5500 goblins, 5000 of which are in the Dark Fortress along with their sinister ruler.

The goal is to end the Goblin Age and bring about the Dwarven Age. This means that Dark Fortress has to go. It's not gonna be easy, but I won't take no for an answer. Ideas?

I've raised pop cap to double the default, (440) the most obvious answer is to round up 100-300 steel armored axe lords and send them into to go ham. Could this work? They might all die, but that could still whittle down the population for a second, third, and etc wave. It wouldn't be quick, but if it takes a twenty years campaign, then so be it.

What about war animals? Right now all I've got is dogs, and I know they aren't all that great in combat. I do get an elven caravan, but they're on their last legs. The humans send a guy for agreements, and the king recently moved in. I haven't done much with war animals, but I feel like that if I get the right animal I could have something here. This could also be a long project.

There's also the possibility of more unholy options. If I get a necromancer, I could try and round up some intelligent undead for an undead army. There's a necromancer gorlack that shows up now and then, but setting this up would be difficult and possibly not worth it.

What about vampirism? I could build a segregated section of my fort for vampirizing soldiers. Is the stat bonus worth the effort? Could I throw some peacocks (I've got a lot of peacocks running around this fortress) for them to feed on, or does it have to be dwarf blood? Set up wouldn't be too hard. Just lock a believer in a temple long enough for them to start breaking stuff and get cursed, then they'll either be a vampire or werebeast. Spreading the infection from there is a solved problem.

Speaking of which, there's the werebeast idea. Haven't seen any in this world quite yet, but, again, I could build a segregated barracks and fort for them and establish a werebeast super soldier program. Get enough of them and time the raid right, and they'll attack in werebeast mode (maybe). Maybe they could thin the goblins out and cause a werebeast outbreak, causing a once-a-moon-cycle problem for the goblins. It's a nuclear option. I'm not sure it would work and if it did I might start seeing a bunch of goblin werebeasts running around. Just kill the survivors when it's not a full moon! What could go wrong?

This is Steam version, so adventure mode is right out.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Razing the Goblin Dark Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 01:23:46 pm »

I sent 60 unarmed dwarves in steel armor to a site with over 10,000 people and told them to surrender. They did.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Razing the Goblin Dark Fortress
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 05:03:23 pm »

Consider drawing most of them to your fort, to fight them with the home ground advantage. Then visit their fortress.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.