Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best embark combat skills for one dwarf?  (Read 2577 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Best embark combat skills for one dwarf?
« on: January 06, 2023, 01:01:29 pm »

I know it gets more complicated if you decided to have several start with combat skills, because some might be able to teach the others their speciality, but what is the best set of skills to start one combat dwarf with when you only have 10 points?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Best embark combat skills for one dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 01:18:46 pm »

Someone with more recent experience can probably chime in, but I always embark with a soldier with at least 4-5 levels of dodger skill.  That's helpful under any combat circumstances, and as the saying goes an ounce of prevention by dodging attacks is worth a pound of cure by needing armor or staying in a hospital.

That soldier usually gets 4 levels of a weapon skill, and a level or two in teacher depending on how I spread the skills exactly.  I don't know if teacher is actually that useful, but I was under the impression that it was good to help train new recruits up.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that its impact was minimal though, especially at levels 1-2.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 01:20:04 pm »

Exact levels can vary, but I always take a level or two in Teacher (allows them to conduct demonstrations) and Leader (allows them to teach weapon skills with lectures). If I'm embarking somewhere hazardous I add a level or two of Discipline and a level in their weapon skill. Everything else goes into Dodger because it provides immense benefit defensively and is relatively slow to train. If I have a spare point I put it into Tactics if I'm anticipating running lots of off-map missions.

Because barracks are untethered zone designations now you can simply have your starter sit training by themself in an open patch of ground to level the direct combat skills (which also increase faster than they used to). IMO it's much more important to set them up as a good militia commander.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 01:22:02 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 01:46:11 pm »

Mining, the secret combat skill.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 03:13:13 pm »

Dodge, swimming, observer plus a weapon of your choice (or a weapon and a shield). Swimming I choose at least level 3, and its usefulness is a direct consequence of dodging. For weapon I would pick... an axe. If there are more dwarves, then also a warhammer and mace, and for some mining.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 04:32:49 pm »

i run 2 weapon levels (usually sword), 2 dodge, 2 shield user, 2 fighter, and either armor user, swimming or wrestler depending on embark

if you begin training upon embark it doesn't matter really because the skill gain is dramatic with a full - time schedule. arguably skills like swimming, leader or teacher are the most helpful since this first dwarf will likely end up with the highest skill and position.

but if you will be fighting in the first year, always bring a few extra fighters :]

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 06:48:36 pm »

I usually run Proficient Miner, Proficient Dodger for a couple dwarves and draft them onto a Pick squad.  The early mining work effectively doubles as weapon training for them making for an effective option while I'm still getting the military properly set up and outfitted, and lets them better deal with any surprises waiting in the Caverns.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 07:18:34 pm »

So some ideas are:

Dodger: 4
Axedwarf: 2
Shield: 2
Fighter: 2

or

Dodger: 3
Axedwarf: 3 (or maybe Fighter: 3)
Teacher: 2
Leader: 2

or even

Swimming: 3
Teacher: 4
Leader: 3
and just train as a squad of one full time to gain the combat skills.

With only 10 points it seems like you can only pick like 3 or maybe 4 skills or something to get any of those skills high enough to be helpful.....

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 07:43:46 pm »

Probably fighter 5 and dodge 5 on a brave dwarf, with a shield and a pick or axe, and a six-pack of wardogs. The dogs are key. They tire out the enemy, divert the enemy's attacks away from the dwarf, and can cause the enemy panic when it is out-numbered.

To create a trainer, I go Teacher 5 and and Armor User 5. They train migrants, no weapon, no shield, junky armor, and then the recruits go into a new squad with shield and weapon.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 07:16:33 am »

I would pick dodging 5 atleast because it seems to me that its one of the slowest to learn in fort mode while also being one of the more useful ones.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 09:22:06 am »

How do pick/axe inventoryship work with Woodcutters/Mining these days? There was a time when having miners and woodcutter in military squads caused issues with the weapon assignments and caused the dwarves, when mobilised, to drop their work tools to go get another set of weapons rather than just use what's in their inventory, and I stopped using wood cutters and miners militarily back then. Do they still do that?

IMO it's much more important to set them up as a good militia commander.

Please expand?
Love, scriver~

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 06:25:18 pm »

Im surprised that more people arent mentioning discipline. Is it less useful these days?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 06:54:58 pm »

How do pick/axe inventoryship work with Woodcutters/Mining these days?

The world is the same as ever.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 08:44:36 pm »

Discipline trains easy and fast, wounds that aren't dodged heal slow.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 06:14:49 am »

How do pick/axe inventoryship work with Woodcutters/Mining these days?

The world is the same as ever.

See, I don't know what this means, because while I think you're saying it's still like that, I'm also old enough to remember the pre-military-rewrite times when dropping work items to pick up war items wasn't an issue and they'd just use  their already equipped items when you drafted them
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2