Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BUG: waterskins, or perhaps general multiple pickup/drop issue  (Read 578 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
BUG: waterskins, or perhaps general multiple pickup/drop issue
« on: January 04, 2023, 05:16:27 pm »

I have my dwarves' time being consumed by the following loop:

Dwarf equips waterskin. Dwarf does whatever until... Dwarf takes a hauling job.. When the dwarf drops the job item it was hauling, it also drops the waterskin. Dwarf does some other stuff until.... Dwarf takes pickup equipment job.. Go to beginning of loop.

My uneducated guess is that the waterskin accidentally gets added to the checklist for a multiple pickup/drop command, like how it is with dwarves dropping off plants after a plant gathering job.

Now it isn't a constant thing, usually it's just one dwarf at a time (out of 10 military dwarves), the dwarves do take other jobs in between equipping the waterskin and dropping it again.

Note that my military squads are set to No Uniform, and they are all Off Duty, not sure if that matters.

EDIT: the waterskins are also filled with booze.  Perhaps booze has a plant tag that makes it egligeble for multi-drop? Just guessing here.

Could this be related to barrels and bags with plant-based materials (booze, seeds, plants) in them occupying the same tile in stockpiles, not adhering to the 1 item per tile rule?

EDIT2: I followed another loop closely, using the period key to see exactly what is happening.
The dwarf drops the waterskin exactly 1 tick after dropping the hauled item (in this case, a log of wood). The waterskin is dropped on the same tile as the log of wood.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:44:51 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: BUG: waterskins, or perhaps general multiple pickup/drop issue
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 11:51:59 am »

I'm surprised they keep the waterskin while off-duty.  Shouldn't it be part of the squad equipment?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: waterskins, or perhaps general multiple pickup/drop issue
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 03:12:15 pm »

Apparently not. For now I fixed it by removing everyone from their squads. I'll remake squads once I've forbidden / atomsmashed all waterskins, they get the backpack treatment now too.
The bug is too much of a drain on the workforce, having one or more dwarves doing that silly loop a hundred times per year.

EDIT: yeah, easy fix through the stocks menu, forbidding all waterskins. No more pickup loops.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:03:33 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479