Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making dwarven rooms private  (Read 943 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making dwarven rooms private
« on: January 04, 2023, 01:35:20 pm »

Though traffic controls do manage to stem a significant amount of the issue, there's still a significant portion of dwarven traffic that cruises through dwarven rooms trying to find the most accurate route, and other times the privacy and functionality of a dwarf's room is always subject to haulers and craftsdwarves trying to navigate around the fort.

A good example is a mayor's/expedition leader's holdings on a L junction corridor, the office requires to be left open so that dwarves can come to the office to be consoled about their issues, but at the same time a direct door between a noble's bedroom and a office can become a unintentional route for the rest of the fortress traffic. With a privacy marker on the zone covering the door, only the noble and their private list can pass, and the office remains open, while the bedrooms are shut.

• So that children (and vampires) outside of immediate spouses and family aren't locked out, Dwarves keep a allowed list of persons to their private rooms, which grants them access to any attached doors or access-points, disallowing jobs that aren't targeted to inside the room. Tresspassing into a private zone can cause a justice report if its not properly secured; vampires cannot force access without the users permission for semi-mystical means, but thieves can willingly pass through.
  • Can also be used to ensure that peeps like monster-hunters have secure access to the caverns by setting private tavern rooms with direct cavern access. In which the time it is not being travelled through by the monster hunter, it is also secure against animals that aren't their pets (so long as they don't possess tokens to open doors, as only intelligent fortress members and visitors respect these rules) as if it was forbidden.
This suggestion has appeared before, but the new graphical version's more flexible zones and free painting would help make this more applicable to any room you associate it to.

bibliography:
-  TV4Fun (2017) Locking doors on private bedrooms

- Michael (2011) Privacy

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making dwarven rooms private
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 02:05:20 pm »

Have you tried making it so that the private rooms only have one entrance?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 03:08:15 pm »

Have you tried making it so that the private rooms only have one entrance?

Defeats the point of a more efficient setup, in the supplied picture here that inspired me to this suggestion my expedition leader's office partially used in my OP's example, same principle as before.

to be properly private, i would require to move the doors intended to be private facing the hallway and adjacent the office, then toggle a 'private' lock on the room to set both the doors, instead of just forbidding them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 06:55:11 pm »

I'm 95% sure the pathing system is global - either a spot is accessible or it's not.
If you make the door lockable except to some dwarves, other dwarves and animals will try to path through there, they discover the door is locked and then re path - but it will probably direct them through the same locked door and your game will slow down a lot. Animals would do this with tightly shut doors.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:02:31 pm by ayy1337 »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 10:20:14 pm »

Does the Steam version have burrows?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 02:24:10 am »

Burrows won't solve this, they limit goals not routes
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 03:26:45 am »

You can try the traffic priories, it's the >> icon on the right after mine cart routes.
paint the hallways green high priority and the rooms red low.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 03:34:25 am »

I'm 95% sure the pathing system is global - either a spot is accessible or it's not.
If you make the door lockable except to some dwarves, other dwarves and animals will try to path through there, they discover the door is locked and then re path - but it will probably direct them through the same locked door and your game will slow down a lot. Animals would do this with tightly shut doors.
You can try the traffic priories, it's the >> icon on the right after mine cart routes.
paint the hallways green high priority and the rooms red low.

I try to take this into account, knowing fully what you're talking about. Which is why its a suggestion on how id like to see it implemented to create a certain permission lock to doors that excludes haulers not on the list by default. In theory, if the door is just treated as a in-accessible for having a 'private locked' flag, they should just move around it to wherever they need to go.

I don't think offering me design advice is willing to change my mind on the matter. Why are people so insistent to talk around my suggestion as a matter of personal fortress design fault?

Burrows won't solve this, they limit goals not routes

Moreso, the effort of setting a burrow to multiple rooms is very difficult to handle, and there are different reasons why you might want to make it private other than the example I gave. A monarch's quarters for instance is really isn't a place where common fortress members or strangers should wander, and could be used to house treasures securely. Or exactly a private museum with active security measures.

Active squad members should probably be exempt from causing tresspass reports, and have a alternative guard squad order on private rooms so its less reliant on drawing out burrows would probably help out more broadly.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 04:19:14 am »

Tbh I do like the idea of trespassing as a concept, to make some rooms private domain of a particular dwarf. Micromanaging it would probably be a pain so it should just be automatic to whatever (friends and family can enter but others cant).

In my post I was just saying why it will be challenging to implement in the game right now, because of the way pathing works as is. But that doesn't mean it can't be improved

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 06:53:29 am »

I love it, but is it technically possible? I presume, that right now everyone use the same path but with traffic control you'd need to calculate available path for everyone individually.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 07:28:05 am »

Of course you can do it, just a question of how expensive it would make pathfinding. For every tile in a prospective path you'd need to check that that tile is passable and that it doesn't belong to any forbidden zones, then if it does belong to a forbidden zone if the dwarf or animal is on the exception list. If you set it up badly, a dwarf trying to path to some item or job or person in a forbidden room or behind one where that is the only way to reach the thing, will exhaustively search every tile on the map looking for a way through that doesn't exist, which would be pretty bad. The game avoids this situation now by maintaining a global reachable set I believe so if your dwarf is in this region it can reach every other tile in this region, but if you had to duplicate that for every creature it again gets expensive.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 10:37:27 am »

yes, in other words is this is possible to achieve with bringing the average player to FPS death.

if you had to duplicate that for every creature it again gets expensive.

And hard to handle for large population forts. How about few general groups?  e.g. military, citizens, nobles, animals, outsiders, and a custom, which should be able to achieve most of what fantastic want.

Moreso, the effort of setting a burrow to multiple rooms is very difficult to handle
I am not sure why tarn choose to use the new painted zones over the previous flood system. But in other management games like Rimworld rooms are automatically designated, beds in bedrooms will be shared among couples, and linked rooms like bathrooms are auto assigned to the assigned occupant.

Something like that could make things a lot more easier for you (and I would love to see linked noble rooms you need to assign occupant once, better yet have an auto assign position option like in dfhack)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 08:22:20 am »

According to Putnam pathing isn't a big issue normally, meaning that my concerns about that being too costly might be unfounded.

Personally, I still believe that handing allowed list of persons to private rooms will be un wieldy over time (think a fort of 200). I would much prefer to have some sort of auto assignment with set groups like family members or nobility etc.

I would start with basics: citizens vs visitors. That would be a great improvement over what I already have been doing in previous forts with location settings and physical distancing. And could be useful for justice change with interesting gameplay options noted above.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 08:24:45 am by jipehog »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 11:58:04 am »

According to Putnam pathing isn't a big issue normally, meaning that my concerns about that being too costly might be unfounded.

Personally, I still believe that handing allowed list of persons to private rooms will be un wieldy over time (think a fort of 200). I would much prefer to have some sort of auto assignment with set groups like family members or nobility etc.

I would start with basics: citizens vs visitors. That would be a great improvement over what I already have been doing in previous forts with location settings and physical distancing. And could be useful for justice change with interesting gameplay options noted above.

I meant, the allowed list as I originally described it is pretty much like you already say, and not subject to what the player might want to set. A very lonely or shy dwarf in a private room has nobody to invite in, wheras a gregarious dwarf might even find the idea of a lonely room very averse and stay in it as little as possible unless other people are there.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 01:16:33 pm »

What is a room though? Right now, in DF you would be able to draw a 1xN zone proclaiming its private and non shall pass this line.

In Rimworld, a room is a fully enclosed space, defined by its contents. So all you need is four walls and a bed for a bedroom, this has the advantage of least micromanagement. Also you can easily hover over any room to see an overview of its contents, to help manage its occupants needs, and easily link rooms (mod?) to its assigned occupant example. With something like that we can easily leverage your idea of social functions for everyone (nobles hosting feasts?) without micro hell.

In terms of access this gets trickier. As it is harder to define rooms without a specific function like throne room antechamber and in any case Nobles are too lazy to clean their own rooms they need worker access. As for monster hunters i'd rather not use fictive rooms to block access (though I love the idea of secret path going from the tavern to the caves). Here setting citizen/visitor zones or door permissions would be better, I think. The question what the best way to do it for us.

Also I really like the idea of guards keeping trespassers away as part of justice system (maybe we can also get interview hint that someone was seen trespassing).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 05:44:59 pm by jipehog »