Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This game is terrible for modding  (Read 865 times)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This game is terrible for modding
« on: January 02, 2023, 02:32:12 pm »

Every time I go to test something, I end up playing for 5 hours and don't want to stop.

Aside from, "Have some discipline, bro," how do you handle it? Just get it right the first time, so there's no testing necessary? I've taken to modding in cheats so I can avoid actually playing to get to the stuff I need to test.

Sorry for the trolly subject line  ;D

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: This game is terrible for modding
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 02:49:33 pm »

Every time I go to test something, I end up playing for 5 hours and don't want to stop.

Sounds familiar.

If I want to test reactions, cheating to get the reagents is the way I go (if possible, I buy them on embark). I often make also a bunch of empty reactions that I give to the test civ just in case (if need be, I can then edit new reactions into these without genning a new world, though sometimes the edited reactions behave a bit weird).

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: This game is terrible for modding
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 06:08:57 pm »

Usually modders have easy access to Arena/Adv Mode/DFHack to help speed up the process of testing things... but we gotta wait for that due to obvious reasons.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...