Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give us some (plausible) way of knowing what needs we should help fulfill  (Read 410 times)

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of the trickier parts of DF is making sure you fulfill your dwarves' needs, since they all have a ton and there's no way to know what they want without individually checking them.

I propose that there be a noble that dwarves can talk to, and their complaints are relayed to. "Urist is feeling depressed because he doesn't get to fight" and all that. Not something incredibly artificial and gamey, you'd have to make sure this noble is actually available. All of this could be in a little menu and then you'd know who would be a good recruit since they wanna fight, or who should go pick some berries because they like wandering, or who should get put to work creating stuff since they wanna be creative and learn a craft.

As it is, it's very difficult to keep track of these needs without making a ridiculously huge spreadsheet and obsessively checking your dwarves over and over, which when you have fifty other things to worry about can be an absolute pain--and not in the way where it's an intentionally abrasive bit of challenge to overcome, more just "I dunno what these dickheads want" thing.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or...just check the one or two dwarves who are starting to get unhappy. I would start with the assumption that if my fortress is working properly there's stuff for dwarves to fulfil their needs with by naturally. Micromanagement is never needed (unless that's specifically the way you want to play the game, in which case Dfhack, Therapist and whatever provide that for you).

Sure dwarves need to take care of themselves a bit more and some needs are impossible, but there are already suggestions about that.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I propose that there be a noble that dwarves can talk to, and their complaints are relayed to. "Urist is feeling depressed because he doesn't get to fight" and all that. Not something incredibly artificial and gamey, you'd have to make sure this noble is actually available. All of this could be in a little menu and then you'd know who would be a good recruit since they wanna fight, or who should go pick some berries because they like wandering, or who should get put to work creating stuff since they wanna be creative and learn a craft.

I agree, there is much need for this, because in the end our dwarves and the stories you can tell about them is what makes DF interesting.

I would love to have more information about the dwarves beside what is currently present in the citizen list. Possibly in the form of a verbose report on the state of the fort rather than a spreadsheet. Maybe even require the nobles to do more than have an office and be knowledge based ~like in with investigations. In a recent suggestion a therapist position was proposed (personally, not a fan if this one but it is interesting). Then these nobles might alerts us to potential issues e.g. our stocks are low on food.

Also I would like a more detailed medical screen to figure how a siege went without click spamming.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:43:42 pm by jipehog »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

The mayor already speaks with unhappy dwarves. Maybe have dwarves with unmet needs talk to them before they get so sad and let the mayor generate a report (represented as a screen you can access once you have a mayor?).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands