Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some modding questions for DF-on-Steam!  (Read 578 times)

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some modding questions for DF-on-Steam!
« on: December 29, 2022, 04:28:17 pm »

I'm no stranger to modding the classic game, at least to a low-level extent (I've never created new creatures or materials or workshops for example, but Ive modded civilizations and existing creatures and such), and Ive be doing my best to follow some of the steam DF modding info in the various threads, but of course I do have some more specific questions.

First off, a problem I ran into that I don't understand why it happened. I'll go over what I did step by step so as to hopefully avoid any sort of confusion on what I changed, didnt change, and so on.

1> Made a copy of vanilla_materials to /dwarf fortress/mods, then renamed it to alycraft_materials
2> edited the info.txt
3> in the /mods/alycraft_materials/objects directory I opened up inorganic_stone_gem.txt and removed some of the gem types, then saved.
4> in the /mods/alycraft_materials/objects directory I opened up inorganic_stone_soil.txt (I think it was this file) and removed all incidence of [aquifer].

both of these things I've done in classic many times without issues. what comes next is where the problem crops up

5> went into DF, hit create new world, selected detailed and selected my preferred region type (a custom medium region where I greatly increase savagery and volcanism, the number of volcanos, semi-megabeasts, caves, and so on and so forth)

6> in the Mods section, I added alycraft_materials (moving it from the left column to the right column), then moved it UP the load list until it was right below vanilla_materials.

7> I removed the vanilla_materials (moving it from the right column to the left column).

8> Hit create world. The game then proceeded to go through hundreds of rejections before eventually telling me that it cant place crops for farming civilizations. I had it ignore the rejections for awhile but eventually quit out.

I think went into create new world, selected my custom region, did not do the _materials swap, so that it was still using vanilla_materials, ran create world, and had no problems with rejections, everything worked fine.

I have no idea what I did wrong for this to mess up. Since I wasnt used to the new modding stuffs, I figured if I made a copy of A, renamed it to B, then swapped them out in the mods section of worldgen it should work? Clearly it didnt, but Im not certain why.

Second!
in the various creature RAWs, when a creature has a Giant version it has the tag [COPY_TAGS_FROM:(animal)]. Does (animal) have to be in the same file, or can it be in another file? I'd like to add Giant Turkeys and Giant Geese, and am wondering if I have to copy the base Turkey and Geese info into my mod RAW.

Thanks in advance! dumfoxisdum :(

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some modding questions for DF-on-Steam!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:56:18 pm »

Have you read this modding page on the wiki yet? I found much of it to be very informative.

Generally, it seems to me that loading custom files instead of vanilla files is bad practice in v50. Now you have the option to make changes to what the game has loaded, after it already has loaded everything in the vanilla folders, by giving your mod files the new stuff to load. The game loads everything listed in the mods page of world creation, from top to bottom, meaning the bottom stuff can change the stuff above. So, you don't copy the files to make new ones any more, at least if you want to do it proper (it might actually function, IDK, but it seems like the hard way to do it).

Because of this new modding paradigm, you also can load multiple mods without having to do extra work to make sure they play nice. Well, sometimes you might want to mess with the load order, but it seems to be pretty easy compared with older versions. So, I suggest you search the Workshop for "aquifer" and use someone else's no-aquifer mod, then make your own gem-altering mod as a separate thing. I say that because "cant place crops for farming civilizations" doesn't sound like a gems problem, but it could be a moisture and drainage problem, which may or may not be affected by aquifers. It's also fully possible that you're doing something wrong, so I suggest reading up on the new way to mod the game before diving into your gems mod.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 05:00:17 pm by Bihlbo »

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some modding questions for DF-on-Steam!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 06:06:58 pm »

Have you read this modding page on the wiki yet? I found much of it to be very informative.

Yep, and I am in the process of figuring out how to do things the proper way - already having success with chopping out creatures I dont want. I'm a small and smooth-brained fox, so things are slow; add in poor sleep issues and data retention becomes a struggle :\

That said, my question re: the swapping of materials from the first post was just wondering why it may have failed; I dont plan on using that method in the future, of course.

For classic DF prior to 50.0x, I would go into those very same inorganic material raws and remove aquifers just like how I did with the 50.0x version, and never had the problem. This is why I am puzzled as to why I was having problems.