Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Climbing while channeling  (Read 473 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Climbing while channeling
« on: December 28, 2022, 05:17:37 pm »

Hey, has anyone noticed this behaviour recently? I've been trying to do a few deep digging projects - deep moats and the like - and have had dwarves falling like lemmings around the area. Not one or two people accidentally dodging into a chasm, but literally dozens of dwarves falling into the pit and breaking limbs or dying. After finally watching a project like a hawk, I've determined that when the digging changes pathways, they're deciding to try to climb down, then failing to climb and falling intstead. Miners are most at risk, but for various reasons I haven't fully worked out, civilians are also venturing in and then deciding to climb as the terrain falls apart and they lose their path out. The solution seems to be complex scaffolding, which I'm not too enthusiastic about but whatever. It might also help to define burrows to keep the miners from adventuring out of the channel until it's done. Overall, I wish there were some way to limit dwarves climbing to path unless they're actively fleeing danger, because the casualty rate is *absurd*. I've had safer invasions from the undead than this.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.