Advanced search  

Author Topic: Druids  (Read 536 times)

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Druids
« on: December 28, 2022, 04:55:49 pm »

Let me start with the etymology. Source: Etymonline
[...] from Celtic compound *dru-wid- "strong seer," from Old Celtic *derwos "true" (from PIE root *deru- "tree," especially oak) + *wid- "to know" (from PIE root *weid- "to see"). Hence, literally, perhaps, "they who know the oak" (perhaps in allusion to divination from mistletoe). Anglo-Saxon, too, used identical words to mean "tree" and "truth" (treow).
The English form comes via Latin, not immediately from Celtic. Old English had dry "magician," presumably from Old Irish drui. The Old Irish form was drui (dative and accusative druid; plural druad), yielding Modern Irish and Gaelic draoi, genitive druadh "magician, sorcerer."
Now here's the description of necromancers in the DF wikia.
Necromancers Ñ are immortal beings blessed with the secrets of life and death. These night creatures are magic users who raise legions of undead and seclude themselves in towers.
Let's make the game more fun by giving elves something to chew your teef teeth out on. Druids can be everything necromancers are with the sole emphasis on trees, and raising only elven cadavers, and only in the vicinity of trees; and wooden objects are only tradeable when blessed by a tree-knower. Why else do you think the tree worshippers go armok on you? Now you know.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Druids
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 05:11:15 pm »

I'd like to see any variety of nature magic for druids. I really would like ents in the game, even if that's somehow related to druid magic. Druids that shape shift, turn turn other creatures into ents, or animating the forest around your fort to siege you would be great. Animating smaller plant creatures like dnd shambling mounds would also be cool. Also not dangerous but fun things, like making all the bushes in your fields sing or dance when they visit to trade.

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 08:04:23 pm »

Thank you for your reply, Pillbo.
Shapeshifting tree worshippers have become a stable staple of the modern fantasy genre. I don't know where the idea ultimately comes from, to be honest. To shift shape is the nieche of the were-creatures and changelings. Tree-knowers explain why elfs elves hate your fortress for using wood and I'd like for elves to be more of a menace. Give them walking trees and ironwood shields that can save them from anything less than steel. Give them royal relations to human civilizations. Give them their own witches and wizards.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 05:55:12 am »

Also not dangerous but fun things, like making all the bushes in your fields sing or dance when they visit to trade.

It is terrifying.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 06:44:19 pm »

Also not dangerous but fun things, like making all the bushes in your fields sing or dance when they visit to trade.

It is terrifying.

Imagine you're picking berries and the leaves break into song. "Dooon't fell the treees. Eat caaadaaavers."

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 05:50:18 pm »

It is terrifying.

Imagine you're picking berries and the leaves break into song. "Dooon't fell the treees. Eat caaadaaavers."

Having it terrify some dwarves based on their personalities would be a really fun story element
> Urist was terrified seeing a dancing blueberry bush
> Tosid was enraptured by a singing onion plant

Other things like making all the plants in an area bloom regardless of time of year would be cool too. I really like the idea of 'flavor' magics like that, as well as the more functional combat magic.

I also agree with what you said about ironwood shields. It doesn't make sense to me that their weapons and armor suck. Yeah it's wood, but it's magical wood, why would we expect it to act like regular wood?

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 06:50:04 pm »

Thank you for your reply, Pillbo. Happy new year!
Wooden armor and bone have been used as protective wear in the past and only the introduction of firearms were the final nail in the coffin See what I did there? for anything not made out of sheets of metal. Before that, metal blades were like axes because axes already were metal blades. I don't see why elves can't use wood and bone, and the metal they get out of trade and the uncommon successful raid, to craft reinforced wooden plates. Humans have done so in historical times.
And thank you, ironwood would make for a great addition even if only for shields.

Edit: typo.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 05:30:13 pm by Resmisal »