Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 27 - Game Over, Town win  (Read 34740 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 27 - Day 2 - 1 Replacement needed
« Reply #495 on: January 08, 2023, 07:39:29 pm »

20:00

It was a lonely night. Chef Toony thought to himself.

Tonight's dish was a personal favorite of his, beef steak.

After everyone on at the outpost went to bed for the night he began putting the dishes and cutlery away. It was a lot of work, being the only cook to feed everyone and keep them from succumbing to hunger.

He stopped for a moment.

There was another kind of hunger, a deadly hunger living here.

Doppelgangers.

Any one of his crewmates could be a flesh-eating alien. And they were stranded here. Stranded! The thought drove him mad. He needed to know, he needed to know who he can trust.

As he was putting the last of the knives away he held his grip on the final one. The knife was a long, serrated blade meant for cutting meat. Instead of putting the blade away...he took it with him.

This ends tonight.

22:00

Toony went back to his quarters quickly to change his clothes. He wasn't going to be sneaking around in bright white chef overalls. In fact, there was a secret he hasn't told anyone here. He opened his closet and sorted through his belongings. After glancing behind his back to make sure nobody was around, he pressed little red button in the bottom corner of the closest.

*foosh*

A hidden compartment revealed itself. Inside was the coolest looking detective hat you've ever seen.

He put on clothes better suited for sleuthing, his favorite hat, and gripped the knife inside his jacket as he left his room.

00:00

Special Agent Toony looked at his watch. It was the beginning of a new day. He was just outside Suspect #1's house. He didn't know whether they were home or not. That's what the knife is for, he thought to himself.

After some trial and error he managed to get into their residence. No one appeared to be home. He sighed with relief, in truth he wasn't sure if he could face one his crewmates - no - his friends right now.

He began going through all of their belongings, making sure to leave things the way they were before. He was wearing gloves so prints weren't a concern. Nothing looked suspicious, what was he even looking for? Alien technology? Private communications? He shook his head about how impulsive he was being.

Exhausted, he sat down on their bed. Suddenly, he saw something fall in the corner of his eye. He spun around, it looked like something fell behind the other side of the bed. He got up to look. It was...

It was...!

02:00

Secret Agent Toony arrived at his home's entrance. He felt very confused, but relaxed.

He just wanted to go to sleep at this point.

Right when his foot passed through the doorway he thought he saw a figure inside the room.

"Look out!!" Someone yelled as they shoved him from the side.

A loud noise erupts out as part of the doorway is torn by ferocious claws.

Doppelganger! A doppelganger was waiting to kill him in his own home!

He turns to look at his savior, it was TricMagic the security guard. Tric was holding a stun baton and facing off with the doppelganger!

"Get inside, I'll hold them off! Tell everyone it's Vector!"

Toony can hear a walkie-talkie going off on Tric's belt with someone yelling on the other side. He could probably figure out who it was if he wasn't facing down life or death.

After merely half a second, Secret Chef Toony tries to run by the doppelganger into his room. The alien creature swipes at him and he fends them off with the knife he's been carrying for hours. He quickly bolts the door shut and pushes everything he can to block the entrance.

By the time his heart settles down he can no longer hear anything outside his room.

"I don't think I'm getting any sleep tonight." Confidential Detective Toony says to themselves as they take a stuffed penguin doll out of their jacket pocket.

"This was your work, wasn't it?" Toony smiles.

It almost looks like the penguin is winking at him.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 08, 2023, 07:46:32 pm »

Now, obviously we execute Vector, then Jim converts Toonyman, uses Toony's incredible town cred to execute me or NQT (likely NQT as the slightly easier target, portraying me as a conspiracy theorist), and by that point we have too many hivemind cultists to survive.

Yeah no.

I think we need to execute Jim Groovester before this cult shit gets out of hand. Then deal with the dopps.

I mean, okay

What's the relative value of executing the Hivemind leader now as opposed to executing a confirmed dopp?

Explain how that fits into there being three pods in the OP of the game.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 08, 2023, 07:51:03 pm »

Would a hivemind arrive in a pod? Or would it be an ancient evil, entombed in solid rock, awakened by digging into the planetoid to create the base? Or a psychic ghost latching onto a new host?

That aside I have no idea if a hostile third party would be represented in the opening flavor or not. If they usually are, then that probably means my theory is invalid. Let me look at some past paranormal games.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 08, 2023, 07:57:38 pm »

Fallacy, aren't you usually saying we should worry about scum before any potential third parties?

You know, when you aren't scum.

Anyway, feel free to investigate me all you like. I haven't been affected or altered in any way.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 08, 2023, 08:15:19 pm »

Fallacy, aren't you usually saying we should worry about scum before any potential third parties?
Normally, yes. But cult specifically snowball if left alone for too long, in a way the mafia don't. Since the hivemind leader takes out every cultist with him if executed, it's more cost-effective to execute a hivemind leader than one mafia player.

Assuming, of course, that there is a hivemind. The theory makes sense to me, but - ah, to heck with it

Mephansteras: Would a Hivemind have some flavor that would show up in the game's initial post? Or is that not guaranteed?

Should have just asked that to begin with.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 08, 2023, 08:32:32 pm »

Mephansteras: Would a Hivemind have some flavor that would show up in the game's initial post? Or is that not guaranteed?

Third parties do not show up in the opening flavor, no.

Paranormals 19 and 20 had Hiveminds, if you want to check those games out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 08, 2023, 08:34:09 pm »

I’m gonna vote for Vector ‘cause there’s really no reason not to, and I don’t think FoU’s theory has any traction.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 08, 2023, 08:36:21 pm »

If there were three dopps and a hivemind who has successfully recruited, more than half of town are already gone. Lynch the hivemind successfully, and we're down to seven players, three of whom are dopps, so we probably lose. On the other hand, lynch the known dopp, and we'd go into the night with eight players, two dopps and two hiveminds, which is potentially survivable if the dopps kill a hivemind member in the night OR the hivemind try to recruit a dopp. So if you were actually trying to help town, you still can't weasel out of lynching vector.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2023, 08:38:39 pm »

You would say that if you were trying to protect your hivemind master.

... at the same time, I can't argue with that logic at all. Vector.

Now excuse me while I read those past hivemind games.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 08, 2023, 09:20:33 pm »

It's notquitethere. Don't ask how I know.
But realistically speaking

How is this any different than me saying

'Jim is a Hivemind. Don't ask how I know.' and immediately expecting everyone to go along with me?

What's better about your approach that mine doesn't have?

I just see the metaphorical 'same picture'.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2023, 09:23:10 pm »

Well if Max is right, we vote out Vector, Max blocks you or me, and Jim tracks NQT. Either the kill gets blocked or Jim sees NQT do it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 08, 2023, 09:23:52 pm »

Or the kill goes through and we vote out whoever Max didn’t block.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 08, 2023, 09:33:40 pm »

Well if Toony is an agent we could actually investigate the odd one out, but Toony thinks I’m a dopp leader so I get tracked by Jim and Max blocks NQT and Toony investigates FoU.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2023, 09:53:37 pm »

Wow.

Vector tried to kill me. Tric died protecting me and told me it was Vector.

Vector has to be a dopp here.
I can confirm that I told Tric to protect ToonyMan.

Vector.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 08, 2023, 10:00:20 pm »

Does anybody have anything they need to tell us, or should we shorten?

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41