Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do rooms share wall value now?  (Read 2915 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Do rooms share wall value now?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 09:58:03 pm »

If you have any overlapping designations, all of the zones have their values set to precisely 0. You have to separate them or else they will be worthless. That's how it works now.

Could you please clarify how shared walls, and especially shared engraved walls are handled?  For example, you have 2 rooms next to each other, each one has a door and engraved floor+walls, but the engraved wall between the 2 rooms is only 1 tile thick. What does that mean for the value of each room?

Engraved walls are actually only engraved on one side. Whichever side they engraved it from gets the value, the other one doesn't. It doesn't set the value to 0 if walls overlap, nor doors, only (everything else).

polle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 10:07:09 pm »

Ok I did some testing overlapping zones with walls share wealth to each other this includes engravings.
It doesnt matter what side the engraving faces because the entire block is included in the wealth calculation. This is different from old behavior.

Bugs i found:
Engraved floors are considered walls in the engravement description.
Engraved walls and floors "location" keep engravings after deconstructing and rebuilding them with different materials.
Zones benefit from these holographic engravings which are interchangeable with walls and floors.
You can built massive overlapping zones without wealth drop abusing this mechanic, as long as you dont update the original zones.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 11:37:45 am »

No, tiles are still limited to a single engraving.  However! New to this version is the ability engrave constructed blocks, both wall and floor.

WAIT WHAT

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 01:08:16 pm »

No, tiles are still limited to a single engraving.  However! New to this version is the ability engrave constructed blocks, both wall and floor.

WAIT WHAT

Yeah, I was shocked myself when one of my friends who got the game after the premium release off-handedly mentioned it and acted like my "veteran" ass for weird for not knowing.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 03:50:07 pm »

WAIT WHAT

Yeah, I was shocked myself when one of my friends who got the game after the premium release off-handedly mentioned it and acted like my "veteran" ass for weird for not knowing.

I’m pretty sure that either Toady One or Kitfox mentioned this would be a thing before the launch (might’ve been in an FotF reply…).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2022, 05:17:00 pm »

Good to know! So double-thick bedrooms is still the way to go for maximizing value.  And you can no longer have an all-in-one noble quarters either.  I suppose encouraging expansion is good, though I am eagerly awaiting the return of macros.

No, "designations" (rooms/zones) are allowed to overlap on walls and doors, with no reduction in value, just like it has always been.

Rooms have always only been considered overlapping if internal (non door/wall) tiles overlap, and that hasnt changed in v50, so there's no need for double thick walls.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 09:32:02 am »

Good to know! So double-thick bedrooms is still the way to go for maximizing value.  And you can no longer have an all-in-one noble quarters either.  I suppose encouraging expansion is good, though I am eagerly awaiting the return of macros.

No, "designations" (rooms/zones) are allowed to overlap on walls and doors, with no reduction in value, just like it has always been.

Rooms have always only been considered overlapping if internal (non door/wall) tiles overlap, and that hasnt changed in v50, so there's no need for double thick walls.

Wall engravings only count for the value of the room the creator stood in while making them, so there is if you want to minmax. Which is admittedly more desirable now that quality multipliers on value are so low that masterwork stone statues add <200 value.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 10:37:41 am »

Wall engravings only count for the value of the room the creator stood in while making them, [...]

As I understand you, this is a direct conflict with Polla's research.  Please verify or clarify.

Ok I did some testing overlapping zones with walls share wealth to each other this includes engravings.
It doesnt matter what side the engraving faces because the entire block is included in the wealth calculation. This is different from old behavior.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2023, 12:52:08 pm »

If you have any overlapping designations, all of the zones have their values set to precisely 0. You have to separate them or else they will be worthless. That's how it works now.
Is it a new behavior? Because I run a quick test in v50.03 and seems that wasn't the case.

I built two rooms separated by a single wall.
Designated the first room(including the walls surrounding it) as office and assigned to temple, checked value.
Designated the second room in the same way with designation overlapping over the wall and a different temple.
Re checked value for the first room no change.

Note that if two zones overlap over an empty cell, you do get a red warning in zone info panel, but this didn't change the value shown in the temple screen for me. Also note that this warning seem to update only upon zone change i.e. if build a door in that cell the warning doesn't go away, same if I designate over door and then remove it the warning don't show.

Engraved walls are actually only engraved on one side.
So the engraving doesn't add value to the wall tile only to the the adjacent north/south/east/west tile it was engraved from? If true, I wish there was an option to determine engraving direction.

I tried to run a test but either my fort was too new or my dwarf skill were shite because all my engraving added no value according to my noble
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:54:34 pm by jipehog »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2023, 01:27:33 pm »

I hope these changes lead to further improvements or settings options in calculation of room value, since overall it seems to constrict our ability to build compact and / or freeform rooms, and in that regard is somewhat frustrating and unclear. the ability to engrave constructed walls is worth noting, however, for those that build aboveground

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2023, 10:48:04 pm »

Wall engravings only count for the value of the room the creator stood in while making them, [...]

As I understand you, this is a direct conflict with Polla's research.  Please verify or clarify.

C'mon, man. This takes like a minute to verify for yourself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2023, 01:24:05 am »

Seems to me that the value needed for nobles in order to reach the thresholds are ridiculously high if you overlap bedroom, office, dining room etc. However if you make them separate rooms its not so hard.
That would confirm designations not sharing value between themselves.

Yes. But it is odd. Its not like one of them gets it. I made a room for a noble with 35 golden statues and overlapping designations. All were low. Then I separated them and put the statues in diffrent rooms. Suddenly all were way over what was needed.

Not what I've seen. I made all my temple designations the same room, and even if they lost some value (because overlap) they still all reached 16k+value as it was also my artifact (3-4 on display) room.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2023, 02:59:41 am »

[...] instead of simply using the engraved wall's material value, they instead look at a combined tally all of the tiles of the room they're in, both walls and floors, and use the value of the most common material in those tiles.

Apparently wall engravings use the material value of the most abundant material in the room and not the engraved wall itself? That's kind of weird.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2023, 04:53:19 am »

Seems to me that the value needed for nobles in order to reach the thresholds are ridiculously high if you overlap bedroom, office, dining room etc. However if you make them separate rooms its not so hard.
That would confirm designations not sharing value between themselves.

Yes. But it is odd. Its not like one of them gets it. I made a room for a noble with 35 golden statues and overlapping designations. All were low. Then I separated them and put the statues in diffrent rooms. Suddenly all were way over what was needed.

Not what I've seen. I made all my temple designations the same room, and even if they lost some value (because overlap) they still all reached 16k+value as it was also my artifact (3-4 on display) room.

Thats actually a interestingly positive way to look at it. The value of the room might be zero but the objects put in it still attribute to the value.

You could make a star-anise shaped kind of centralised grand temple complex all revolving around 1 or a few artifacts on a display case to outweigh the negatives but still service all of them.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2023, 05:15:22 am »

Not sure how it work now, but iirc in previous version the mechanic was 50% value for overlapping empty tiles.

C'mon, man. This takes like a minute to verify for yourself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some of us hope to get putnam to bestow on us actual code insights ;) But yeah, I just had a chance to test it, it is definitely the wall tile and is directional.

Apparently wall engravings use the material value of the most abundant material in the room and not the engraved wall itself? That's kind of weird.
Assuming it is true, this might make sense since we can engrave constructed walls to avoid us gold plating every room. Not sure how one define room though.. if it is a zone there might be some room for exploits here.

But on topic of weird things, you can remove an engraving from natural wall by digging it out, but if you deconstruct an engraved built wall and build it again the engraving is still there.

Also for some reason smoothed walls appear as pillars . And there might be an advantage in value to engraved built walls though more likely it was quality thing I didn't notice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3