Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do rooms share wall value now?  (Read 2916 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Do rooms share wall value now?
« on: December 27, 2022, 12:08:16 pm »

I've read mixed reports about this, and am having trouble testing.  I know that in prior versions of Classic, overlapping Zones would share the value of whatever is inside them, but overlapping Designations (bedroom, office, tomb) would not.  I actually rewrote my bedroom macros based on that, so now I'm curious if I can go back to single-thick bedroom walls.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Do rooms share wall value now?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 03:11:26 pm »

Seems to me that the value needed for nobles in order to reach the thresholds are ridiculously high if you overlap bedroom, office, dining room etc. However if you make them separate rooms its not so hard.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 05:01:21 pm »

Are dwarfs now able to smooth and/or engrave both sides of a single-wide wall in the new version?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 05:44:05 pm »

Seems to me that the value needed for nobles in order to reach the thresholds are ridiculously high if you overlap bedroom, office, dining room etc. However if you make them separate rooms its not so hard.
That would confirm designations not sharing value between themselves.
Are dwarfs now able to smooth and/or engrave both sides of a single-wide wall in the new version?
No, tiles are still limited to a single engraving.  However! New to this version is the ability engrave constructed blocks, both wall and floor.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 06:42:08 pm »

No, tiles are still limited to a single engraving.  However! New to this version is the ability engrave constructed blocks, both wall and floor.
In that case, it would be better to have rooms and hallways be separated by two-wide walls.  Also, what happens if you engrave a constructed wall and then deconstruct it?  What happens if you then use the same blocks to construct a new wall?

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:38:35 am »

In that case, it would be better to have rooms and hallways be separated by two-wide walls.  Also, what happens if you engrave a constructed wall and then deconstruct it?  What happens if you then use the same blocks to construct a new wall?

It's a good question, so I tested it. 4 walls, made of a limestone block, a tower cap block, a silty clay boulder, and a highwood log. All 4 were engraved, then deconstructed. The building materials didn't change, so they did not remain engraved. I used them to again make walls, which were not engraved. I then engraved each of the walls with something new than what was there the first time.

So you cannot, for instance, build a large floor, engrave all of it, then move the engraved floor pieces to a new location. You can, however, build a large floor, engrave it all, and deconstruct the ones you don't like, starting the process over again until everything is as you like it. Or, you can force one dwarf to engrave forever for practice, just deconstructing the work and building a new floor again for a clean slate. Even better, make it out of slate!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 05:03:51 am »

Also, what happens if you engrave a constructed wall and then deconstruct it?  What happens if you then use the same blocks to construct a new wall?

From what I read on Discord, the engraving is tied to the coordinates and will magically reappear if you build a different wall there. (The specific situation might have been engraving natural floor and then constructing, in comparison to Bihlbo's test. Not sure what happens if you build stairs, etc., instead.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:08:11 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 10:27:46 am »

Yes. But it is odd. Its not like one of them gets it. I made a room for a noble with 35 golden statues and overlapping designations. All were low. Then I separated them and put the statues in diffrent rooms. Suddenly all were way over what was needed.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 04:56:49 pm »

Also, what happens if you engrave a constructed wall and then deconstruct it?  What happens if you then use the same blocks to construct a new wall?

From what I read on Discord, the engraving is tied to the coordinates and will magically reappear if you build a different wall there. (The specific situation might have been engraving natural floor and then constructing, in comparison to Bihlbo's test. Not sure what happens if you build stairs, etc., instead.)
this is the case; but it only seems to effect walls or constructed walls; engraved smooth floors act like normal;

it's irritating to be honest.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 06:37:43 pm »

I DID build the second wall segment in a different location, so I wouldn't have seen the engravings repeat if they are tied to location.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 07:58:02 pm »

Yes. But it is odd. Its not like one of them gets it. I made a room for a noble with 35 golden statues and overlapping designations. All were low. Then I separated them and put the statues in diffrent rooms. Suddenly all were way over what was needed.

If you have any overlapping designations, all of the zones have their values set to precisely 0. You have to separate them or else they will be worthless. That's how it works now.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 08:17:26 pm »

Good to know! So double-thick bedrooms is still the way to go for maximizing value.  And you can no longer have an all-in-one noble quarters either.  I suppose encouraging expansion is good, though I am eagerly awaiting the return of macros.

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 08:44:29 pm »

Does that mean that adjacent bedrooms automatically designated with the multi tool all have values of zero then due to wall overlaps?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 08:50:04 pm »

Can you carve fortifications through a double-thick wall from the same side, or would you need to carve them separately on each side?  Also, can marksdwarves shit through them?

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 09:24:21 pm »

If you have any overlapping designations, all of the zones have their values set to precisely 0. You have to separate them or else they will be worthless. That's how it works now.

Could you please clarify how shared walls, and especially shared engraved walls are handled?  For example, you have 2 rooms next to each other, each one has a door and engraved floor+walls, but the engraved wall between the 2 rooms is only 1 tile thick. What does that mean for the value of each room?
Pages: [1] 2 3