Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do rooms share wall value now?  (Read 2904 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Do rooms share wall value now?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2023, 12:33:17 pm »

Seems to me that the value needed for nobles in order to reach the thresholds are ridiculously high if you overlap bedroom, office, dining room etc. However if you make them separate rooms its not so hard.
That would confirm designations not sharing value between themselves.

Yes. But it is odd. Its not like one of them gets it. I made a room for a noble with 35 golden statues and overlapping designations. All were low. Then I separated them and put the statues in diffrent rooms. Suddenly all were way over what was needed.

If you have any overlapping designations, all of the zones have their values set to precisely 0. You have to separate them or else they will be worthless. That's how it works now.
Not what I've seen. I made all my temple designations the same room, and even if they lost some value (because overlap) they still all reached 16k+value as it was also my artifact (3-4 on display) room.

Temples aren't zones, they're locations. Different considerations, there. It's not like the value calculations being different is unknown, here, it seems display cases work for locations but not zones.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2023, 02:48:59 pm »

Temples aren't zones, they're locations. Different considerations, there. It's not like the value calculations being different is unknown, here, it seems display cases work for locations but not zones.

Good point. Any idea how the calculation differ? Also is there any way to see the exact zone value? (all the testing I seen here used the location value to infer how engraving affect zones)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2023, 03:56:15 pm »

Good point. Any idea how the calculation differ? Also is there any way to see the exact zone value? (all the testing I seen here used the location value to infer how engraving affect zones)
The testing I've done suggests that it's just that locations don't suffer from overlap depreciation. So for zones that don't overlap the location value *should* be correct. The only outliers where we can't determine value precisely is with overlapping zones. Basically, unless your zones are overlapping to such a degree that both zones cover the engraved side of a wall, it's not even going to be relevant.

You could probably get rough estimates based on room zone quality descriptors from assigned rooms, i.e. set up your testing zones and assign them as personal rooms, then check the room quality names. Honestly this feels like one of those things where you don't really need to know exact numbers to understand optimal setup -- double-wide walls, don't overlap zones where value matters, done. For the most part even if locations can double-dip on value it feels better to keep them split up, both for aesthetics and to reduce crowding.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 03:58:43 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2023, 06:34:20 pm »

Assuming it is true, this might make sense since we can engrave constructed walls to avoid us gold plating every room. Not sure how one define room though.. if it is a zone there might be some room for exploits here.

Everything in the zone, from what I've heard. You use a bunch of unique low-value materials for the floors and walls, then 2 out of platinum (or w/e.) All the engravings will use the platinum multiplier.

You can also exploit the fact that walls, doors, and floors under doors (connected to walls) can overlap zones without value loss. Add that to the fact that zones don't need to be contiguous, and you can have a line of engraved walls and floors in the middle of nowhere that belongs to every room in the fort, making each one royal quality. (The engraved platinum floors do the heavy lifting, with the doors being irrelevant.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 06:39:19 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 2 [3]