Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monastery spam  (Read 1371 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monastery spam
« on: December 25, 2022, 05:21:21 am »

Anyone else experiencing monastery spam in longer worlds?
Might just be because I have so many civs in my mod and therefore way too many gods.

Have a feeling this was also a thing in 47.05 too.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monastery spam
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 06:22:52 pm »

Can't say i have THAT much but in my worlds even after standard 250 years monasteries are very dense

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 11:21:17 am »

That's.... a lot of monastries
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 04:15:10 pm »

and most (if not all) are empty

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 04:56:00 pm »

So… what we’re dealing with is a band of traveling monastery builders?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 08:47:14 am »

It's been a problem since monasteries were introduced. When a monastic religion gets founded, it creates a new monastery. New religions get made indefinitely forever so long as civs don't die. Monasteries also don't respect the site cap.

If Toady introduced a religion cap or some mechanic to prevent new religions from creating new sites after some time, it could solve this issue. Or have them be hidden by default on the map, like camps and lairs. For now, the only way to reduce monastery spamming is to reduce the number of pantheon-worshiping civilizations itself.

I just ignore it for now, though it doesn't help that these sites are uninteresting places to travel to in adv mode. There could be more locations like libraries, hospitals or underground crypts and not just a single temple and couple shrines for each monastery.

and most (if not all) are empty

There's an apparent bug or oversight where the monks and abbots who're supposed to inhabit monasteries are absent and are found at other sites instead, wandering in large groups or idling in the keeps respectively, sometimes conflating the already problematic lag in large populated sites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 07:54:14 pm »

Monks spend time converting others to their religion in worldgen, so I don't think it's a bug to have them out at other sites.

But, yeah, mouseover across the map and I can see a lot of these are empty ("monastery" as opposed to "hobbit monastery, etc"). There are still quite a few occupied ones so it's not all of them.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 08:03:17 am »

I haven't seen that many. But in Adv mode they're like everywhere. It's by far the most common site.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 09:00:18 am »

hm... I checked some of my own world.

There's...

7 shrines
25 caves
35 castles
52 forts
174 Bandit camps
256 Monasteries
151 Night creature lairs

Interesting thing about lairs, shrines, caves and camps is that they don't show up on the map until an adventurer finds them, while monasteries are always visible.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

TheLifeOfRyanB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 07:19:47 am »

So… what we’re dealing with is a band of traveling monastery builders?

A band of 7 monastery builders by any chance? Prone to self extinguishing bouts of tantrum spirals? Maybe not just one band, many singular bands...