Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten beasts can be kited by doors now  (Read 1164 times)

Jod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten beasts can be kited by doors now
« on: December 24, 2022, 11:40:35 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blU9vw0Nmv8

I made a 5 minute video of this, the AI is busted beyond all recognition. Captured a web slinging FB with nothing but a couple chalk doors.

Edit: I don't know if it's a bug, but I'm having fun with this.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beasts can be kited by doors now
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 12:51:11 pm »

I thought all FBs are building destroyers?

Jod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 01:10:48 pm »

Apparently not in the new version, at least not with doors. I used to do the same trick with bridges in classic but it looks like doors are OP as hell in premium.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 08:44:19 pm »

in the video, is that door the only entrance? it looks like the pathfinding prioritizes open pathways

Jod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 04:16:08 am »

in the video, is that door the only entrance? it looks like the pathfinding prioritizes open pathways
It's the only path into the fortress from cavern 3, yes. It looks like a locked door makes the building destroyer reevaluate its path whenever it gets to the tile next to it but is also not a valid target for some reason. In fact, I haven't seen a building destroyer attack doors, even unlocked doors, at all. I have a wooden unlocked door in the middle of cavern 2 for 5 years now and no cave croc, forgotten beast or troll even tried to attack it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 04:59:27 am »

Probably had bugs that were just not at all a priority considering the next update is on siegers and others being able to knock down doors and bridges so all that code has to be rewritten anyhow.

Jod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 08:49:15 am »

Probably had bugs that were just not at all a priority considering the next update is on siegers and others being able to knock down doors and bridges so all that code has to be rewritten anyhow.
Oooh. Makes sense. Enemies knocking down bridges is a tough pill to swallow though... It was annoying enough to trap demons and fbs with one tile bridges, if I have to fiddle with cave ins and obsidian generators just to stop a random titan from barging into my fortress it's gonna be a rough time. The old way of raised drawbridge = wall was actually fine even with an occasional flame beast melting one or two.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 09:34:22 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blU9vw0Nmv8

I made a 5 minute video of this, the AI is busted beyond all recognition. Captured a web slinging FB with nothing but a couple chalk doors.

Edit: I don't know if it's a bug, but I'm having fun with this.

I had some building destroyers smash a locked floor hatch from above plus a door to get into my fort, so they do destroy stuff still.

However, like 3/4 of the invasions I get the invadors are weirdly passive and just stand around on the edge of the map doing not much.

Then I shrugged them off, but then got an invasion where they went straight to smash every buuilding they could find before smashing their way in.

So maybe it's just that some creatures are sort behaving in a meek and passive way more than they can't destroy doors any more?

It reminds me of adv mode where motivations now are individual - so you often meet "bad guys" that aren't doing anything bad because their personal motivation is to chill.

Jod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 04:44:38 pm »

I had some building destroyers smash a locked floor hatch from above plus a door to get into my fort, so they do destroy stuff still.

However, like 3/4 of the invasions I get the invadors are weirdly passive and just stand around on the edge of the map doing not much.

Then I shrugged them off, but then got an invasion where they went straight to smash every buuilding they could find before smashing their way in.

So maybe it's just that some creatures are sort behaving in a meek and passive way more than they can't destroy doors any more?

It reminds me of adv mode where motivations now are individual - so you often meet "bad guys" that aren't doing anything bad because their personal motivation is to chill.

.. Huh. Which building destroyers? I only get forgotten beasts and an occasional werebeast/roc because I embarked on an island with no neighboring civs. So far - cave crocs and forgotten beasts completely ignore my buildings except an occasional statue maybe.