Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I convince migrants to visit?  (Read 843 times)

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I convince migrants to visit?
« on: December 22, 2022, 10:22:17 pm »

Hey there. Been a while.

I'm currently smack dab in the middle of an undead desert and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to convince people to visit. First couple migrant waves got eaten alive and the next couple caravans did the same. I understand that liasons and such not returning is a big influence on whether people are deranged enough to visit your cozy hole in the ground.

We've not attracted migrants for years now. We have lots of work to be done and only 10 able bodied people to do it, and the bookkeeper is always drunk.

Any tips?
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

AllomancerJak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I convince migrants to visit?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 10:28:43 pm »

This wouldn't help with migrants, but you could try opening a tavern and letting the people who visit eventually join as citizens. Not a perfect solution, but hopefully a way to get some more haulers if needed

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 03:31:53 pm »

Sounds like it's time for honeymoon suites...

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 06:04:47 pm »

Wealth and beds? Not sure if it'd be enough to trump the unattractiveness of the extremely hostile environment, though.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 02:53:59 pm »

You should check if your civilization is still thriving (on the World screen, use "News and Rumors" to look at sites to see how many people they have).

If your parent civ has dwarfs willing to migrate, it might just take wealth generation and some time. Getting everything automated so you can increase your FPS setting and pass through some years might help too.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 04:28:42 pm »

...how much it works in particually off-putting/deadly arrival areas, I don't know, but I choose to craft-craft-craft whatever mundane stone I have the most of (and the least use for, myself) and that glut of goods (perhaps needing the Caravans to be able to happily take them away? - another problem your chice of embark zone might interfere with, drastically) quickly draws the immigrants in. An embarassment of arrivals, in fact.

So maybe you just need to make loads of whatever goods you have a penchent and ability to make.

But, in dodgy biomes, I also try to ensure I have sally-ports set up at each corner and mid-edge of the playing area, ready to disgorge military (rarely necessary) or attract migrants arriving anywhere but where the enemy is currently prowling (and with leverable bridge-walls, up to the very edge, I can often ensure western-edge siegers can't interefere with eastern/southern/northern-edge friendlies of all kinds, or even isolate to the octant level of perimeter restriction!)

Not that it necessarily helps if you're trying to please a dead/dying home civ, as noted. And, by now, my play philosophy might be a bit more out of date.

(I already try to switch from (say) mugs to (e.g.) scepters before I get the idea that the traders are going "Oh no, not mugs again!", behind my back. And I know this was a definite future design aim by Tarn, at one point, to discourag flooding the outside world's marketplaces with such tat...)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 10:24:16 am »

I seem to remember that it is possible to place your trade depot in the caverns and that caravans then arrive through the cavern system. With your hostile surroundings, this might be worth a try. Otherwise it seems to be a vicious cycle, since you need more exported wealth to attract immigrants but that is only achievable if the caravan leaves your fortress alive.