Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting Out  (Read 2148 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Out
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

Yeah, mother nature takes care of party break-ups. =)

As for stashing items... I'm not so sure. The only place I've seen an item stay forever is when it was sold inside a shop.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

I think most people die from dogpiles of enemies or wandering into savage or evil areas unknowingly-try to not to go to deep into a cave or ruin, stick to the edge, so you can retreat when 15 skeletons run at you.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarmin:
<STRONG>I think most people die from dogpiles of enemies or wandering into savage or evil areas unknowingly-try to not to go to deep into a cave or ruin, stick to the edge, so you can retreat when 15 skeletons run at you.</STRONG>

Or else they rape you in some hentai-esque way.

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

It's also notable that dwarves can usually not equip anything that you find laying out there.  My best hammerdwarf cleared out a ruin full of zombies and destroyed the boss.  But he couldn't equip anything from said boss because it was all too big.  Which made me sad.
f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trae:
<STRONG>It's also notable that dwarves can usually not equip anything that you find laying out there.  My best hammerdwarf cleared out a ruin full of zombies and destroyed the boss.  But he couldn't equip anything from said boss because it was all too big.  Which made me sad.</STRONG>

That's why, if you're going for good-medium armor, you only go for ruins in dwarven civilizations, because those ruins have dwarven undead.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

quote:
Unfortunately i have lots of stuff, and i want to stash it, how would i go about this?

If you drop something it will be randmoly moved around when you leave the local screen. It'll still be there when you return, just not in the same spot.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

Thanks to this thread, I've had dreams of wrestling zombies. . .

I guess I should take to heart some of the advice here, though.  I've always ended up mobbed by individually weak enemies and never lasted more than half an hour in Adventure Mode.  Actually, my first attempt was my most successful.  I got a quest, killed the bastard, then was mobbed on my way out and died.

Ostsol

The Black Hunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

I had taken out 4 bosses with my hammerer, then me and my trusty maceman friend (the first guy i hired, and the last fella i had left) ended up sorrounded by gobbo's.

He was slowly breaking every bone in a goblin childs body while i, 2 squares away was being beaten to death by a gobbo hammerer.

I died, then, 2 turns later he came back and killed the hammerer

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

As long as your using a ranged attack, or a throw attack, 2 words can sum up your whole survival strategy : Legendary Sneaking.

Sneak every where you go, all over town until your legendary. Then if your not sure of the difficulty of a place, just start sneaking when you enter it and you'll be invisible until your RIGHT next to someone , hense the ranged attacks (which you may stay concealed while firing from)

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

As far as I am concerned, until missile weapons are fixed (ie, spinning mud can no longer cause someone to explode), they are contraband.  Too easy!

Of course, you might want to make an exception for when you come across a missile weapon-using badguy.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 03:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Misterstone:
<STRONG>As far as I am concerned, until missile weapons are fixed (ie, spinning mud can no longer cause someone to explode), they are contraband.  Too easy!

Of course, you might want to make an exception for when you come across a missile weapon-using badguy.</STRONG>

BAH, charge 'em I say!

Synthesis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

I've found that starting with skilled armor user/skilled shield user/wrestler/competent hammerman/novice thrower works extremely well.  You'll usually start with a mix of iron and bronze gear, sometimes with a maul.  I use hammers with humans because: 1) the most damaging weapon type in the game (maul) uses the skill; 2) you can train the skill up by bashing things around with an easily found copper or bronze crossbow (which will significantly speed up the weapon skill leveling by not ULTIMATE CRUSHING everything weaker than an elephant on the first blow); 3) hammers and mauls never get "stuck," so you don't have to worry about it; and 4) the knockback effect is -very- useful if you have a couple of good throwing weapons to chuck when it happens.

First thing I do is find a calm desert to sneak around in to bump ambushing. (Moving is significantly slower in real-time inside cities, and the calm desert means you won't accidently bump into a hippo while you're sneak-spamming.)

After that, I find a cave with iron men and kill a few for their 3,000 coin corpse statues, which is usually enough to completely outfit my character in iron gear.  Humans can use a maul and a shield, and you can stack iron platemail on top of iron chainmail.  I never waste money on less than exceptional quality gear, either...you just have to walk around a bit to find a town that sells the exceptional or masterwork quality iron stuff.  Also, don't forget masterwork/exceptional quality clothing on all your wear locations. Every little bit helps.  Next, I'll buy a pair of good quality iron spears for chucking at things to soften them up.

Once you have a masterwork iron shield and an exceptional/masterwork iron maul, a newbie human can tear just about anything down in melee, with the above starting skills.

After you have all this stuff, there's no point in risking wrestling zombies. If you're not hidden while choking something (which you won't be, because zombies won't ever go unconscious on you), every monster on the map can "see" you and gravitates toward you.  It doesn't take long for you to get surrounded by skeletons that way. I've found that bears are really good, because you can choke them for a very long time before they die, and they spawn singly, so you don't have to worry about something else coming up while you're spamming choke.  Also, since I train ambushing to legendary first thing, deer and warthogs are great wrestling buddies, because generally there aren't any other aggressive creatures on the map that will run up and attack you.

Once you've got your attributes up from all the sneaking, throwing, and wrestling, a human is virtually unstoppable.  In about 5 hours, you'll be good enough to kill hydras solo.  A few more hours of shield work and dragons aren't really a problem.

The only real threat at that point is from archers and fire imps, because even a shitty one can nail you, especially if you're in a goblin fort and one shoots you from behind.  The spears are great for this, because you can sneak up on them and incapacitate/kill them with thrown weapons before they see you, or if they walk up on you in the middle of a fight, you can chuck a spear at them before they get a chance to shoot you.  You're virtually guaranteed to break or seriously injure internal organs with legendary throwing and a masterwork iron spear (possible exception vs. human elite marksmen).

Pages: 1 [2]