Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mountains and other impassable terrain.  (Read 1063 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mountains and other impassable terrain.
« on: May 18, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

I see no way currently to cross Mountains and Oceans and the like; but is there a way to edit files to allow (even temporary) crossing? I wonder if I give the humans flying and swiming, if they can cross on the world map as well as the local map. Or maybe there is a way to edit the properties of the mountain... or something?

See this? That place looks AWESOME. Evil EVERYWHERE just waiting for somebody like me to go in and cleave stuff up. (That's the corner of the map, by the way, so unless you can go AROUND, which I don't think you can, I can't get in.)

I wonder if there is no other way... maybe I can use a memory editor and perhaps find the X and Y coordinates... change them, and be there?

Edit: Yeah, when that image was made I had the screen set wrong, which is why some tiles look funny. Herrbdog would take offense to this, I think, so I'll make a new one soon...

[ May 18, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Mountains and other impassable terrain.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

In Adv Mode, you can walk up rivers, though it might depend on the underlying terrain.  But given that there are mountains completely surrounding that corner, with no rivers leading up, no, there's no way to get around.

That's the corner of the map?  There's no glaciated terrain that I can see...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

whats not accessable?  theres totally a river leading into that valley.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »

Unless I used the map incorrectly (Which I doubt; I dragged the cursor all the way bottom-and-left) and that is what is there. No way in or out, so I thought it was cool.

I never see many rivers as paths through mountains or anything. Maybe I'll play with a memory editor and see what I can do. XD

Edit: Some call "Bottom-and-left" "South-west", heh. Anyway the whole south side seems to be desert or other hot environments; thought that was normal.

[ May 18, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

haha.. i thought you meant it was the TOP RIGHT corner, and the little circular mountain valley was the inaccessable bit.  thats pretty funny.

this might be a bug in the world generation.  there was a thread a while back about some of those little valleys being generated as inaccessable, and i think Toady said something about the world generator checking for paths to things.

in the other report, the thing turned out to be accessable, and there was just a misunderstanding about single and double wave water, and costal waters being wadeable.

so this might be a path checking problem of some sort.  worth running by the bug report forum, anyway.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

I'll put it on the bug reports forum very soon, however, one last thing of interest:

There are like three possible dwarf forts in that area. That's kind of slick, huh? The contact was dwarves and goblins if I recall correctly.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

now thats got to be a bug.  building a fort there is fine, but there should be no contact with dwarfs.  

if i understand right, you need to be able to trace a path to a dwarf city / mountainhome to be in contact with them, and i dont see any in that corner.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

I actually haven't worried about connectivity when generating the maps yet.  You can't get to any of the islands, after all.  So yeah, it's quite possible to get disconnected areas like this.  In adv mode in the next version, you could conceivably cross the mountains, but you might still face cliffs that are unpassable without some kind of climbing addition.

It does check paths when it's trying to figure out who you can trade with, and in adv mode when it sets quests and does friendly conversation.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

Hello,
  I agree, islands are supposed to be unaccessible (until we get ships, or, even, magical teleporters and/or flight spells or items), so, maybe its not really a bug.  Maybe, every so often, a small area or two in a world is supposed to be inaccessible.  Maybe this is not deliberately planned by Toady, rather, deliberately allowed by Toady.  Maybe, not being able to get to some hidden mountain valley is simply supposed to be realistic (and very frustrating!).  Maybe, this can be a good thing (in very small portions) as it may add to the uniqueness of the game (probably be a way around even this in v.1.0).
quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."