Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - Bodies on Fire - Steam  (Read 762 times)

Sklex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help - Bodies on Fire - Steam
« on: December 16, 2022, 02:01:59 am »

Hi fellow dwarves,

I had a forgotten beast rampage through my base spewing fire everywhere. Which was fun, the Dwarves charged forth and dispatched it. The problem was it spewed fire everywhere. I have 5x dead dwarves that are on fire. They have been on fire for... well nearing on 2 years. Which is fun but problematic. The bodies are in central locations such at the entrance, causing heat and smoke which is irritating everyone.

Is there anyway to deal with this?

I can't haul the bodies.
I've found no way to put the fires out.

Surely there is a way?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Bodies on Fire - Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 05:30:08 am »

I remember having problems like this that resolved themselves when I restarted the game. Otherwise maybe you can build a wall next to the fire and designate a pond (pit) over the corpses. Have dwarves pour buckets of water on them.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 03:47:21 pm »

Hi fellow dwarves,

I had a forgotten beast rampage through my base spewing fire everywhere. Which was fun, the Dwarves charged forth and dispatched it. The problem was it spewed fire everywhere. I have 5x dead dwarves that are on fire. They have been on fire for... well nearing on 2 years. Which is fun but problematic. The bodies are in central locations such at the entrance, causing heat and smoke which is irritating everyone.

Is there anyway to deal with this?

I can't haul the bodies.
I've found no way to put the fires out.

Surely there is a way?

If you have water and buckets, you can wall the dwarf in and designate the 1 square he stands on as a pond. The dwarves will then cover the dwarf in water. Which might put out the fire? At any case, the dwarf should drown.

Alternatively you could dig a square of going down ramps around the burning dwarf. This should cause them to crash down to the lower flor. (Then you patch the hole with a floor.)

Underneath where they drop, you should build a drawbridge that is pulled up before you crash the dwarf down. When the dwarf has landed, you pull the lever and crash the bridge down on the dwarf. This should annihilate the dwarf, hence the fire will be put out.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 08:19:32 pm »

Channel above them and designate it as a pond. That should put them out. That's how I've put out burning leather artifacts in previous editions.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 02:33:16 pm »

... I have 5x dead dwarves that are on fire. They have been on fire for... well nearing on 2 years. ...

There's at least one report of surviving dwarves from a fort loss showing up as migrants at the next fort, still on fire.  Something is clearly a bit screwy, and at this point they will probably not burn out on their own.  Other replies have some suggestions on channeling and flooding that may be necessary. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 05:37:01 am »

I had a reindeer cheese that wouldn't go out years ago. It kept setting other things on fire, and with a steady stream of
!kitten!->!sock!->!dwarf!->!forest!
it got to be a problem. I ended up walling the thing in, roofing it over, and leaving it to burn eternally in a small hot box. Sodding nuisance, but I had other things to do.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 10:52:35 am »

I had a reindeer cheese that wouldn't go out years ago. It kept setting other things on fire, and with a steady stream of
!kitten!->!sock!->!dwarf!->!forest!
it got to be a problem. I ended up walling the thing in, roofing it over, and leaving it to burn eternally in a small hot box. Sodding nuisance, but I had other things to do.

<insert image of norways's first nuclear reactor>