Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam: Undead siegers and towers  (Read 1080 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Steam: Undead siegers and towers
« on: December 15, 2022, 07:37:18 pm »

Havent played in a while but I thought I was pretty good at this game. Boy did the undead siegers prove me wrong. They not only seem to completely ignore all my traps, waltzing over them like they werent there, the two first that entered the fort also managed to kill everyone. Thats including 20 hammerdwarves with silver warhammers and full iron gear with several proficient. It was just like they were nothing.

To top it off I had no idea they would come since there was no indication that a tower was near when I chose the spot to embark. I thought goblins would be the worst since they were only 1 day away. This was also just after the fourth migration wave, but I dont think undead ever had a check for such things. I guess its back to the old raised bridges turtle strategy again just to prevent this from happening again.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam: Undead siegers and towers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 10:35:53 pm »

afaik particular undead creations are born with trapavoid, so that much hasn't changed. the fact towers are not listed is a nice surprise for noobs. previous versions proved that undead were some of the most difficult invaders.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 01:09:56 am »

(Improved undead sieges have been around for ages, what does this have to do with Steam?)

I noticed that some sites aren't showing as neighbours now, when they evidently are. Although current embark came up "Tower: War" so they do show up sometimes. Just....not always for some reason, even when they're definitely filled with bad guys.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 04:12:16 am »

Sure. What I actually think is a steam related bug? is that you cant see the tower as a threat on embark. Also when you use the word been around for ages you have to remember that some of us have been around since the game was flat. Relative to that improved undead siegers is very much a new thing. Infact relative to many features.

I suppose I was also somewhat suprised that a necromancer and eight undeads each with the eqivavelent power of an average titan would attack the fort when I had just barely 50 dwarves. Some tweaking needs to be done there. Its basically undead sieges when they were buffed and before pulping, only now they have trapavoid as well. Unless I was very unlucky and met Urist McNecrodwarfer and his legendary drinking companions.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 08:00:21 am »

Havent played in a while but I thought I was pretty good at this game. Boy did the undead siegers prove me wrong. They not only seem to completely ignore all my traps, waltzing over them like they werent there, the two first that entered the fort also managed to kill everyone. Thats including 20 hammerdwarves with silver warhammers and full iron gear with several proficient. It was just like they were nothing.

To top it off I had no idea they would come since there was no indication that a tower was near when I chose the spot to embark. I thought goblins would be the worst since they were only 1 day away. This was also just after the fourth migration wave, but I dont think undead ever had a check for such things. I guess its back to the old raised bridges turtle strategy again just to prevent this from happening again.

I had the trap thing happen also!

The Steam version has a setting in "labor" where you toggle trap-loading between do always, do never, don't do during invasions.

The default is don't do during invasions. I gues the same thing happened to you - When the invasion came, I built traps. But the default it set to the dwarves not loading them during and invasion, so none of them got loaded. And we don't know the visual difference between a loaded and an unloaded trap, so we couldn't tell.

Like a stone fall trap, the chain is straight up when it's loaded and hanging loose when it isn't. So when you get used to the game, we'll be able to see that none of the traps in the trap hallway are loaded.

If you find that trap settings and get those traps loaded then it's business as usual with that.

IDK about the military though, I haven't figured that out yet haha. I had some marksdwarves beat a zombie to death though, so there' that. Maybe the intelligent undead like sallow walker etc are super strong.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 02:20:29 pm »

(Improved undead sieges have been around for ages, what does this have to do with Steam?)

I noticed that some sites aren't showing as neighbours now, when they evidently are. Although current embark came up "Tower: War" so they do show up sometimes. Just....not always for some reason, even when they're definitely filled with bad guys.

ah ok, so they DO appear. I wonder if the calculations were muddled with some of the updated world-data display changes. For instance, you can no longer see individual biomes present before embarking. big L

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 02:46:17 am »

Could be that the cages werent loaded but its not very likely considering I had about 15 of them and the majority were made way ahead of the siege.
ah ok, so they DO appear. I wonder if the calculations were muddled with some of the updated world-data display changes. For instance, you can no longer see individual biomes present before embarking. big L

Also when I had retired the fort I searched manually for a tower close to it. Doesnt seem to be one. There is an evil area not far away but no visible tower present. Or maybe I just dont understand how to spot them yet in the steam version?

ratemal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 08:55:52 am »

Thats including 20 hammerdwarves with silver warhammers and full iron gear with several proficient. It was just like they were nothing.

Do not use hammerdwarves against undead, they will do absolutely nothing. Warhammers pierce through everything to shatter bones and possibly organs, which undead don't care about in the slightest. You need either axedwarves to chop them to pieces or macedwarves to pulp their bodies into bloody paste.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.