Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Steam] Mayor/Leader policy options like allow Migrants  (Read 390 times)

Brygun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Steam] Mayor/Leader policy options like allow Migrants
« on: December 15, 2022, 10:35:35 am »

Rather than breaking immersion going to the Game Settings I'd like a way to allow/disallow migrants. I think the Mayor/Leader should have the power to allow or disallow migrants coming.

Technically we could sift through the list of dwarves, somehow identify the new comers and eject them one by one. So we really arent changing the overall mechanics.

I'd certainly prefer to stop migrants at times and have a natural growth of the dwarves making babies.

>>>

In time there might be other overall policies like allow/disallow certain races of traders. Perhaps the roleplay of that fortress doesn't trust elves.

>>>

Example situation:
Being very early in the learning curve I wanted to keep my population small while figuring out hows and whys. Like finding out using the kitchen had consumed my seeds but the people have enough fish to get by. Doing okay at my population level of 21. Then migrants wave one and two and so jumped me to 51, doubling my population.

After going to game settings I'm wondering if the population cap is why dwarves are dehydrating when I have 3 wells in the fortress and a river outside, all with water drinking zones. This feels a bit weird and not sure if its the population control code or something I did. Still learning.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: [Steam] Mayor/Leader policy options like allow Migrants
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 10:54:15 am »

Dwarves Dehydrating: Sounds to me that you haven’t set up any Breweries(stills) nor set orders to produce booze- dwarves don’t function well on a ‘water’ diet.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 01:35:43 pm »

We should also be able to prevent monster hunter visitor petitions. Don't need someone I can't control and who doesn't even do their job most of the time.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 05:50:47 pm »

We should also be able to prevent monster hunter visitor petitions. Don't need someone I can't control and who doesn't even do their job most of the time.
How would you prevent people from petitioning (while retaining realism)? Besides changing your ethics to Kill_Neutral:Required. No matter how many signs you put up saying "monster hunters not welcome*, someone will come along claiming they're the exception.

Maybe the ability to set someone who's job it is to take their meetings and automatically refuse them if they fail to get through to the mayor?

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 07:45:24 am »

How would you prevent people from petitioning (while retaining realism)? Besides changing your ethics to Kill_Neutral:Required. No matter how many signs you put up saying "monster hunters not welcome*, someone will come along claiming they're the exception.

Maybe the ability to set someone who's job it is to take their meetings and automatically refuse them if they fail to get through to the mayor?

It would make sense to me that the fort leader would just dismiss the petition right away "sorry, it's against policy!" so the player wouldn't know he had rejected it.

In game there would be a meeting with the fort noble doing petitions with the peittioner being in his office.

I would actually like to expand the suggestion to have a policy screen with possibility of automating all the decisions regarding visitors and guests:

Settings are for

It's split in the categories of purpose of entertaining/soldiering/studiying/etc

Then for the choices long time residency/citizenship you can toggle between manual/reject all/accept all

So you can choose any combination you want - auto-accept entertainings staying for long but auto-decline their citizenship, auto-accept soldiers for staying and manual for citizenship and auto-accept stay and citizenship for scholars.

Or auto-decline or auto-accept everything. Anything you want really.

I think the default should be set to manual for everything, then players that like it as it is could just not change the settings.