Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading still needs work  (Read 499 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Trading still needs work
« on: December 14, 2022, 08:48:34 pm »

The trading interface itself is great and miles ahead of what it used to be. The Trade Depot one, however? Nope.
Right now there's just a single button (and interface) responsible for hauling stuff both to and from the trade depo, which is confusing for even someone of average DF knowledge like me. And if it's confusing for some who knows how to play DF (well, basics at least), think how it is going to be for beginners.
IMO the interface should be broken up in two - "move items to depo" and "move items from depo". That way you will know whether you haul purchased/unused after trading items back to your stockpiles or the other way around. Also the option of moving stuff to/from depot should be there regardless if there is trade caravan in town as after they were gone I often had stuff that I didn't end up using during the trade stuck on the shelves of the depot with no way of getting them back, only to be stolen by keas later on.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading still needs work
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 09:16:35 pm »

I can't believe I just realized moving things from the depot is an option... I just kind of assumed dwarves took things back from the depot after trading if they felt like it and there was storage space.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 02:23:38 am »

I can't believe I just realized moving things from the depot is an option... I just kind of assumed dwarves took things back from the depot after trading if they felt like it and there was storage space.

They do, but only after the traders leave.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 02:36:12 pm »

Ughh...I'm not pleased to just now learn it was an option all along to have them move everything back before that point.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MrNewVegas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 03:59:39 am »

IMO the interface should be broken up in two - "move items to depo" and "move items from depo". That way you will know whether you haul purchased/unused after trading items back to your stockpiles or the other way around. Also the option of moving stuff to/from depot should be there regardless if there is trade caravan in town as after they were gone I often had stuff that I didn't end up using during the trade stuck on the shelves of the depot with no way of getting them back, only to be stolen by keas later on.
The old UI was fine, honestly. Not sure why reinventing the interface with the dfhack functionality would be necessary.