Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Steam version is an amazing feat, but still has some serious issues.  (Read 1427 times)

Temporal Paradox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I recently created a thread on Reddit compiling a list of issues I've come across with the current steam version of the game, and it was suggested several times that it be posted here as well for visibility.
Apologies for any strange formatting, you can view the original Reddit thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zi19gd/the_steam_version_is_an_amazing_feat_but_still

Transcript below:

I've been a fan of Dwarf Fortress since before the concept of digging down was invented, and while the new version is overall a giant leap forward that I've been enjoying a lot (35+ hours so far), there are a ton of things (some crucial) missing in this version that causes it to stumble back quite a bit.

• The added mouse support is amazing, but the keyboard hotkeys have been nerfed. So many actions require you to use the mouse to complete them, for no reason. Something as simple as building becomes a bit of a chore, even stockpiles are annoying, so many awkward back and forth movements sprinkled around. IMO The mouse should improve the experience, not compete with it. Ideally I shouldn't need to repeatedly move my mouse away from the area I'm working on. Ideally I shouldn't need to use the mouse at all.
  • Access to Announcement list and Combat logs has been removed(https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zi19gd/the_steam_version_is_an_amazing_feat_but_still/izpx4uk/) (only minimal glimpses if you happen to catch an alert. Dismiss the alert and it's just gone). You can't even advance time while reading a combat log through an alert! You need to close the entire window, try to advance time (spam pause, because frame advance is also missing!), and open the alert again (if you didn't dismiss it). This is honestly kind of game breaking to me.
    Combat is a main focus of the game for me, and being able to easily follow along as well as go back and look through logs is a huge deal. I'll find a dead body and have no idea what happened. So many potential stories lost.
  • The health screen has been all but removed, [you can't easily track injuries](https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zi19gd/the_steam_version_is_an_amazing_feat_but_still/izpn7gg/) - [you can't even see a list of body parts anymore](https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wound#Wound_effects). Once I get a hospital set up I imagine it's going to be a nightmare. The wound screen combined with combat logs and frame advance (also missing!) is how I would follow along with and enjoy intense battles. I was really hoping that following combat would be an aspect that was improved with the accessibility update.
  • Ammo seems to have been completely forgotten, it's not part of the military screen and cannot be assigned.
  • Announcements are incredibly easy to miss. Even urgent alerts barely stand out with no sounds, no messages and rarely even pausing. It doesn't help that the game defaults to a faster speed than it used to (I recommend turning [Game FPS cap](https://i.imgur.com/nA2OPsM.png) down to 40-50 in settings), important events fly by without notice. I've all but missed migrant waves, traders, combat, etc. [Some of this can be fixed with the txt file](https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zhma0p/lurklurklurkposts_new_players_visual_guide_for/), but it never used to be this bad and should have some in-game toggles.
  • There is no longer a way to simply view so many things, like a description of an item that's being sold to see why exactly it's so expensive, the description of a statue before you place it, whether something is decorated with wood before you try to sell it to the Elves, or even the ability to simply view the quality of any given room.
    Yes, you can see the state of specific noble's rooms, but I didn't know I had a legendary dining hall until I saw that it increased someone's mood because I simply can't examine it. It's not just noble rooms that I care about.
  • Stairs are broken, the new system is in theory simpler but you can no longer specify what type of stairs to make and you cannot build a staircase going upward unless the tile above has been cleared out already. If you make a mistake it quickly turns into a mess.

Some other annoyances:
  • The search bar on item lists is nice, but it should default to being in focus. So many times I've tried to search for an item (usually to awkwardly try to make repeat orders) only for the input field to not be selected and everything closes. The search system also feels too rigid in looking for specific terms.
  • There is no way to simply cycle between dwarves or view them from other screens where they are mentioned. You have to note their name and then look them up manually.
  • There is no way to easily compare stats and aptitudes to see what roles a dwarf is good at.
  • Uniforms can be modified, but [saved Uniforms cannot be edited](https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zi19gd/the_steam_version_is_an_amazing_feat_but_still/izqgfnb/). Modified uniforms need to be saved as an entirely new uniform for anyone else to be able to use it.

Some other issues/annoyances I've gathered from replies below:
  • Construction removal doesn't visually update until game is unpaused.
  • Cannot check Trade Depot accessibility.
  • Cannot specify what mechanisms to use (important with magma) - needs verification
  • Cannot view petitions (who wanted what altar again?)
  • Large constructions shouldn't require you to click to confirm every individual material. If my floor needs 75 Mahogany logs, then I should not need to click 75 times. Edit: This isn't true. You can assign materials for large constructions with one click by clicking 'All'. (https://i.imgur.com/EcKcbdL.png)
  • Cannot search in all screens, like work orders or in the trade depot
  • Cannot collapse/expand all in screens such as the trade depot
  • Limited options from a creature's sheet. You should be able to mark animals for butchering by clicking on one, rather than going to the creatures > livestock screen for example, or view a creature's combat logs.
  • Limited Burrows, cannot easily make a simple civilian alert. Every dwarf must be checked individually (potentially 200 clicks).
  • Awkward tomb changes, simple communal graveyards seem much more complicated to manage.
  • Inconsistent capitalization (such as with job titles)
  • Right-click sometimes closes the window entirely, sometimes it does nothing (like squads). Something like Right-click to go back a screen and Esc to close might be better.
  • Vague task descriptions (you're hauling what? You're constructing what?)

Another list compiled by green_meklar:(https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zi19gd/the_steam_version_is_an_amazing_feat_but_still/izpuo2d/)

It's understandable that there will be growing pains making such a big (exciting) step. I want to be clear that this is meant to be constructive. This is simply a collection of some of the main issues that have stood out to me during my time with the new version.

It has been an incredible couple of decades getting to this point, and I've got faith things will continue to improve as they always have.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:17:15 pm by Temporal Paradox »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam version is an amazing feat, but still has some serious issues.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 11:04:16 pm »

It doesn't help that the game defaults to a faster speed than it used to (I recommend turning [Game FPS cap](https://i.imgur.com/nA2OPsM.png) down to 40-50 in settings)

This still is not true, game FPS cap has been 100 by default since 2006

Temporal Paradox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 11:21:42 pm »

It doesn't help that the game defaults to a faster speed than it used to (I recommend turning [Game FPS cap](https://i.imgur.com/nA2OPsM.png) down to 40-50 in settings)

This still is not true, game FPS cap has been 100 by default since 2006
That may be true, but it feels faster.
Maybe it's optimizations, maybe it's most events no longer pausing the game and drawing your attention, maybe it's the lack of Frame Advance, injury list and an easily accessible Combat Log making combat feel more like a second thought as it flashes by (if you even notice it happening). I can't really say for sure.

All I know is that I can't easily follow combat anymore, and that's upsetting. I seem to blink and a year has passed by and my screen is full of alerts that never once caught my eye. I don't mind if my 100+ hour fort gets slaughtered and goes up in flames, but I want to see it all happen. I never used to worry about that in the old version.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:25:08 pm by Temporal Paradox »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 03:56:47 am »

nice writeup, your take echoes a lot of what other experienced players are feeling about the new release. just hold on to your thoughts and we will see where Tarn goes with the next few updates. Hopefully acknowledging these issues.

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 06:16:51 am »

• Cannot specify what mechanisms to use (important with magma)

I've always been asked what ones to use, even when linking. Perhaps it's an edge-case where you have "use closest" selected from when you built things and the option then doesn't appear when linking?

dth1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 09:56:50 am »

I would add to this the terrible scroll speed during trading and inability to select "everything except this" in the bin. I hate those freaking mandated objects getting into bin with 140 other items that I intend to sell.... Also "don't bring artifacts" button would be great to have.

Temporal Paradox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 12:21:17 pm »

• Cannot specify what mechanisms to use (important with magma)

I've always been asked what ones to use, even when linking. Perhaps it's an edge-case where you have "use closest" selected from when you built things and the option then doesn't appear when linking?

That was one I gathered from comments. If it's inaccurate I apologize, I haven't messed around with mechanisms in the new version personally yet.

I would add to this the terrible scroll speed during trading

Try holding [Shift] while you use the scrollwheel.

Temporal Paradox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 03:50:49 pm »

I just wanted to post this here as well, again for visibility. A few people have questioned why something like a combat log is so important, but it's more than just missing an alerts or being unable to reopen them.

Quote from: Me
The issue with combat notification goes deeper than just not being able to access it again if you close it, though that is big. It's much more difficult to follow along with combat now for a variety of reasons. Combat is a game breaking feature for many people. A big portion of my enjoyment with this game is directly tied to following along with the individual little battles.

There are so many epic little moments that happen, and being able to see your dwarf charge at an enemy and narrowly dodge arrow after arrow with frame advance, see a chunk go sailing across the screen and the creature's limb go dark on the listing, and read exactly how your dwarf charged through a hail of arrows to literally disarm their opponent as it all happens really just adds so much to the story, to the experience.

That just isn't really possible anymore. Even if you don't dismiss the alerts it's still very difficult to really keep track of.

Edit: I forgot one of the biggest problems. You can't even advance time while reading a combat log! You need to close the entire window, try to advance time (spam pause), and open the alert again (if you didn't dismiss it).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:17:31 pm by Temporal Paradox »

miyuri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 02:35:14 am »

I want to note another problem:
Damp indicators should be displayed while in smoothing mode.
Players may smooth damp stones in order to stop the flooding.