Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam DF Will Run Under Porting Kit. Sort of.  (Read 552 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Steam DF Will Run Under Porting Kit. Sort of.
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:27:20 pm »

So as a Mac user waiting on a Mac release of SteamDF, I decided to see if I could get it running under Porting Kit or, if that failed, some other wine method (I aways start with Porting Kit because it offers the least hassles.) If you install PK's 64-bit Steam instantiation, Steam DF installs installs in moments and launches without needing any winetricks installed. It's not fastest-running game in the world, but I am also on an older machine and your mileage may very.

The game all seems to work, but the hitboxes for every single mouse command is utter crap to the point of functional-unplayability in Fortress mode. You can't easily mine accurately, you can't easily hit 'okay', and for whatever reason I can't stockpile selected to save my life. Now that may be fixable, but I am not going to pretend I know the ins-and-outs of wine or Porting Kit well-enough to fix it. It makes you miss the old keyboard-only mode, honestly, as that had consistency.

However, for just checking the game out it works, and Legends mode works just fine if you can live with trying to find the magic hidden hitbox point for every link and command.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."