Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf labour groups should have "Only if X skill", and a sub-priority option  (Read 583 times)

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Firstly, because it's a pain to micro labour and it's not ideal to just let it be 100% organic, why not just say only dwarves that are competent can smith with the option to also manually add extras as needed?
In theory this would basically solve the "miner is making beds" issue without requiring setting up 100 dwarves individually.

Second, some way to set up priority tie-breakers based on labour type. If I have mining, smoothing, and wall building jobs all placed as priority 4, I should be able to go "mining is sub-prio 1, smoothing is sub-prio 7, construction is sub-prio 3" in the labour UI and have miners prefer mining when priorities match.
They would still go smooth stuff if those jobs were set to 1-3, but on a tie they'd mine instead.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the sub-priority idea might be better done by reordering a list of jobs. It just seems more intuitive that way, but it's only a difference of interface, I like the idea.

I'd also want to set some other jobs to one of the 7 priorities for some work details. Then my foresters can focus on gathering herbs and fruit, falling back on low priority woodcutting, then on fishing. And when I'm running out of wood I could just set up some higher priority cutting jobs without touching the work details again. They'd all drop off their haul and go chop down trees.

I like the competency limits too. I think it would be preferable to linking stockpiles of different metals to restricted forges. Right now if you want a steel weaponsmith, a steel armoursmith, a bronze weaponsmith, a bronze armoursmith and a forge for other metals that's 5 forges and at least three stockpiles. Limiting jobs by competency would reduce it to 1 forge, with stockpile(s) and extra forges being optional - and you wouldn't be limited to one smith per skill-metal combination either.

I wonder if it would be better added to work orders than work details though? And maybe it could be more like "top 5 weaponsmiths". Then you can arrange it so only your best (or equal-best) Xsmith(s) get to work on the steel jobs, the top 5 can do bronze and precious metals and anyone can dabble with cheaper metals. You could set it up before you have any legendary dorfs and not have to tweak it again when you do - or when they have fun.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Hexicube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the sub-priority idea might be better done by reordering a list of jobs. It just seems more intuitive that way, but it's only a difference of interface, I like the idea.
A list of jobs would get big fast. Consider how many smoothing jobs there are just for smoothing out an 11x11 room with walls (effectively 13x13 - 169), then add on all the hauling tasks for whatever is around, and throw in auto-created tasks like gathering webs. Good idea in principle, but falls apart when the scale sets in.
I'd also want to set some other jobs to one of the 7 priorities for some work details. Then my foresters can focus on gathering herbs and fruit, falling back on low priority woodcutting, then on fishing. And when I'm running out of wood I could just set up some higher priority cutting jobs without touching the work details again. They'd all drop off their haul and go chop down trees.
If you mean assigning a sub-priority to a work order, I agree.
I like the competency limits too. I think it would be preferable to linking stockpiles of different metals to restricted forges. Right now if you want a steel weaponsmith, a steel armoursmith, a bronze weaponsmith, a bronze armoursmith and a forge for other metals that's 5 forges and at least three stockpiles. Limiting jobs by competency would reduce it to 1 forge, with stockpile(s) and extra forges being optional - and you wouldn't be limited to one smith per skill-metal combination either.

I wonder if it would be better added to work orders than work details though? And maybe it could be more like "top 5 weaponsmiths". Then you can arrange it so only your best (or equal-best) Xsmith(s) get to work on the steel jobs, the top 5 can do bronze and precious metals and anyone can dabble with cheaper metals. You could set it up before you have any legendary dorfs and not have to tweak it again when you do - or when they have fun.
That would certainly give more control, and I see the usefulness of it. Perhaps if it had all the operands item count has? (at least, more than, equal to, etc.)
I can see how straight-forward and powerful it would be to have a work order set to "2nd best or better" for steel swords and another one set to "3rd best or worse" for copper maces, for instance.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just miss (dfhack's I think) ability to say "this particular work order is only to be done by dwarves of at least [skill level]" in work orders.

But yeah, current system means that if you want to make the dwarves work well, you end having to create over twenty extra "work details" each for extra profession, and end essentially end at "basically DF Therapist, but not quite as good".
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:12:19 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and essentially end at "basically DF Therapist, but not quite as good".

yeah... am I the only one who used the DFhack labor management menu. . ? in-game accessibility paired with fast controls, ability to copy-paste labor selection, extra sorting options for large fortresses, and easy visual confirmation of an individual's skills and enabled labors.

after thorough playing of the new version, it has become clear that only a few of these features are partially replicated with the new menu. the rest are absent.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Another option might be "Wait for most skilled dwarf".
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A list of jobs would get big fast. Consider how many smoothing jobs there are just for smoothing out an 11x11 room with walls (effectively 13x13 - 169), then add on all the hauling tasks for whatever is around, and throw in auto-created tasks like gathering webs. Good idea in principle, but falls apart when the scale sets in.
Okay, I could have been clearer. I meant job types. I'm not sure about my own idea here anymore though as it doesn't provide a neat way to say you don't care if they haul furniture or items first, for example.
If you mean assigning a sub-priority to a work order, I agree.
No, not really, but that too. What I meant was to set a priority from 1-7 for that work detail to do that job type. So if herbalism is 5 then it comes before priority 6 or 7 woodcutting assignments, but after priority 1 to 4. Sub priorities would still be needed to decide for priority 5 woodcutting, or you could let the basic labour system decide.

That would certainly give more control, and I see the usefulness of it. Perhaps if it had all the operands item count has? (at least, more than, equal to, etc.)
I can see how straight-forward and powerful it would be to have a work order set to "2nd best or better" for steel swords and another one set to "3rd best or worse" for copper maces, for instance.
So "3rd best or worse" means your best smiths never fulfil those work orders? I guess it could be useful if the main purpose of the work order is training. There is potential to clog up your forges with jobs that are "beneath" the pros. But I suppose the solution is already there - just limit the number of workshops that may be used for the training jobs.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.