Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BUG: Ammo is broken  (Read 5971 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
BUG: Ammo is broken
« on: December 08, 2022, 09:15:58 pm »

The bug tracker either isn't being used or I can't add bugs to it.

STEAM Version

But widely reported bug that there's no way to assign ammo to squads resulting in your marksdwarves never picking up bolts. Some people report the default archer uniform works, but any custom ones do not (and if you delete the default you're SOL)

Kind of a big bug as it breaks a large portion of the military along with hunting.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: Ammo is broken
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 11:06:57 pm »

I don't think you've ever been able to assign hunting ammo in the past (I think they just used whatever was available?), but being unable to assign ammo to military dwarves is definitely a serious problem.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 02:26:14 am »

I don't think you've ever been able to assign hunting ammo in the past (I think they just used whatever was available?), but being unable to assign ammo to military dwarves is definitely a serious problem.
Military screen had a section to assign how much ammo is put aside for hunters. Although it started with a set amount that the player didn't have to touch, so hunters worked automatically. Annoying if they've been borked. Especially with the new dangerous wildlife.

Hopefully military is all a work in progress and we'll see actual functionality brought back soon.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:41:20 am »

I've never had an issue with hunters this version, they're going around and picking up all that they need to go and fire crossbows

For marksdwarves however, I'm seeing reports that bolt assignment is done through the barracks by having containers built in there and using the barracks settings to assign stacks, but I haven't had a chance to try it myself

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 12:34:27 pm »

I wasn't able to make it work with any combination of storage furniture or ammo stockpiles in the barracks, or various barracks settings.  They equip a quiver but not bolts.

Loomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 12:43:46 pm »

I also noticed this bug as I immediately deleted the Archer uniform. My dwarves also don't seem to use the weapon rack

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 01:17:26 am »

yeah I'm having problems with squads not even equipping armor.
I think I'm going to shelve the game till a few updates come out addressing the military problems:
 - Civ burrows and having them drop what they're doing and go to a safe burrow.
 - Can't edit existing uniforms.
 - Dwarfs don't go grab uniforms (or if they do it's got a bunch of obtuse requirements)
 - Ammo can't be assigned, can't tell them to use bone bolts for training and eg metal for real targets (kind of important).
 - Squads don't even get ammo (or if they do it's got a bunch of obtuse requirements)

lunaman22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 05:33:31 am »

- Civ burrows and having them drop what they're doing and go to a safe burrow.
 - Can't edit existing uniforms.
 - Dwarfs don't go grab uniforms (or if they do it's got a bunch of obtuse requirements)
 - Ammo can't be assigned, can't tell them to use bone bolts for training and eg metal for real targets (kind of important).
 - Squads don't even get ammo (or if they do it's got a bunch of obtuse requirements)
Out of all of the things I've had on my bingo card for DF's Steam release, Military getting worse wasn't on it.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 07:47:30 am »

I've had no issue with modifying and reassigning uniforms, you can also force them to update their equipment on the uniform screen. If they aren't picking up their equipment then this might be a result of an old bug where hunter jobs conflict with uniforms.

Biglulu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 09:56:05 am »

I wasn't able to make it work with any combination of storage furniture or ammo stockpiles in the barracks, or various barracks settings.  They equip a quiver but not bolts.

Same here. This is pretty frustrating. How could there be such a big oversight as to not make ammo selectable in the uniform?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 12:59:04 pm »

I'm also very interested in this topic. I know military in general & marksdwarves & bolts specifically have always been pretty fickle, but I've been successfully using them up through 47.04. However, so far in Premium I have not been able to get any marksdwarves to pick up bolts, either by attempting to follow my old habits, or trying some of the rumored fixes for Premium such as:
  • Place extra coffers in the barracks assigned to the marksdwarves for them to put bolts in
  • Place stockpiles for bolts inside the barracks assigned to your marksdwarves
  • Place separate stockpiles for metal or wood/bone bolts, metal in the barracks, wood/bone within an archery zone
  • Use the default "Archer" uniform for marksdwarves, not a custom one
  • Use "Move" orders to move your marksdwarves near the stockpiles with the bolts
  • Toggle your marksdwarves squad from Off Duty to Active/Training to get them to equip bolts
  • Click "Update Equipment" in the uniform menu for their squad

I've been trying all of these, but still no luck. However, I keep seeing messages from people on reddit, etc. claiming they have gotten marksdwarves to equip ammo, and often attributing their success to one of these tips, so maybe it is possible? It might be worth trying to get anybody who HAS gotten them to equip ammo to chime in and say / post a screenshot of exactly what their uniform/squad settings are, and what their barracks/archery range/bolt stockpile settings / locations are, and hopefully we could pin down a common trait? (Also a similar thread here, maybe we could try to consolidate info?)

Of course it's also quite possible that there's just some obscure bug that is active in most saves, but randomly not affecting some saves, in which case it wouldn't matter even if we all used the same settings :P

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 01:40:46 pm »

I'm also very interested in this topic. I know military in general & marksdwarves & bolts specifically have always been pretty fickle, but I've been successfully using them up through 47.04. However, so far in Premium I have not been able to get any marksdwarves to pick up bolts, either by attempting to follow my old habits, or trying some of the rumored fixes for Premium such as:
  • Place extra coffers in the barracks assigned to the marksdwarves for them to put bolts in
  • Place stockpiles for bolts inside the barracks assigned to your marksdwarves
  • Place separate stockpiles for metal or wood/bone bolts, metal in the barracks, wood/bone within an archery zone
  • Use the default "Archer" uniform for marksdwarves, not a custom one
  • Use "Move" orders to move your marksdwarves near the stockpiles with the bolts
  • Toggle your marksdwarves squad from Off Duty to Active/Training to get them to equip bolts
  • Click "Update Equipment" in the uniform menu for their squad

I've been trying all of these, but still no luck. However, I keep seeing messages from people on reddit, etc. claiming they have gotten marksdwarves to equip ammo, and often attributing their success to one of these tips, so maybe it is possible? It might be worth trying to get anybody who HAS gotten them to equip ammo to chime in and say / post a screenshot of exactly what their uniform/squad settings are, and what their barracks/archery range/bolt stockpile settings / locations are, and hopefully we could pin down a common trait? (Also a similar thread here, maybe we could try to consolidate info?)

Of course it's also quite possible that there's just some obscure bug that is active in most saves, but randomly not affecting some saves, in which case it wouldn't matter even if we all used the same settings :P

Don't forget about having to delete and recreate squads, barracks and archery ranges.

Marksdwarves are seriously bugged right now. I've managed to get them to grab bolts through cumbersome fiddling, but they waste precious iron bolts in training and the logic breaks down before long.

They just dorf off to do absolutely nothing in the meeting hall after spending a quiver's worth at the range.

It has nearly single-handedly killed my desire to play at this time.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 02:14:42 pm »

So while not a total fix for all outstanding issues, I think I just had a minor breakthrough:

From some quick tests, it appears that a squad that had the "Archer" uniform any uniform with crossbows selected when it was created, and then never had a different uniform set via the "Assign Uniform" button, will equip and use bolts properly. Editing specific parts of the uniform on individual dwarves in the squad with the "Details" button afterwards is fine, however if you "Assign" a different uniform, that squad will never use bolts again, even if you "Assign" it back to "Archer" later and so is "Assign"ing to a melee uniform and back to a ranged one.

Still don't see a way to specify bolt material, however I have a stockpile of wood/bone bolts in bins very near to the room with all my Archery Targets, with a stockpile with bins of metal bolts a few rooms away in their main barracks, and so far they are all using bone bolts at the Archery Targets. Haven't tried them out in combat yet.

Hopefully this can help others work around the bugs somewhat for now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:43:37 pm by Xen0n »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 02:59:52 pm »

So while not a total fix for all outstanding issues, I think I just had a minor breakthrough:

From some quick tests, it appears that a squad that had the "Archer" uniform selected when it was created, and then never had a different uniform set via the "Assign Uniform" button, will equip and use bolts properly. Editing specific parts of the uniform on individual dwarves in the squad with the "Details" button afterwards is fine, however if you "Assign" a different uniform, that squad will never use bolts again, even if you "Assign" it back to "Archer" later.

Still don't see a way to specify bolt material, however I have a stockpile of wood/bone bolts in bins very near to the room with all my Archery Targets, with a stockpile with bins of metal bolts a few rooms away in their main barracks, and so far they are all using bone bolts at the Archery Targets. Haven't tried them out in combat yet.

Hopefully this can help others work around the bugs somewhat for now.

I'm potentially screwed because the game allows you to delete the default uniforms. And I did, Archer among them. ::)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 03:25:20 pm »

I'm potentially screwed because the game allows you to delete the default uniforms. And I did, Archer among them. ::)

Ah that stinks!

However, there are some reddit users who say they have been able to get it to work even after deleting the default "Archer" uniform, perhaps following their steps could help?
Pages: [1] 2 3