Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.  (Read 7426 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm legitimately not sure what use this has, especially with the new system that shows you the units listed sorted by who is most skilled in the relevant labor for the work detail you're looking at.

Role play. Some people just want to look over the new citizens for no specific purpose other than to get to know them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I'm legitimately not sure what use this has, especially with the new system that shows you the units listed sorted by who is most skilled in the relevant labor for the work detail you're looking at.

Role play. Some people just want to look over the new citizens for no specific purpose other than to get to know them.

While less common than it used to be, there's also the use in narrowing down suspects for vampires (or other similar things in the case of mods or other stuff down the line.) Names start to blend together after a while and not everyone is going to label everyone as they come in with some identifier of when they arrived. Once they arrive, I'd wager most of us pretty much lose track of the new arrivals once they blob up in a tavern with the other residents or whatever.

It's much easier and less tedious to find a likely culprit when the list of dudes you need to sift through is "These 20 guys who arrived last season" than it is when it's say, your entire 90 to a hundred-something population.

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile

While less common than it used to be, there's also the use in narrowing down suspects for vampires (or other similar things in the case of mods or other stuff down the line.) Names start to blend together after a while and not everyone is going to label everyone as they come in with some identifier of when they arrived. Once they arrive, I'd wager most of us pretty much lose track of the new arrivals once they blob up in a tavern with the other residents or whatever.

It's much easier and less tedious to find a likely culprit when the list of dudes you need to sift through is "These 20 guys who arrived last season" than it is when it's say, your entire 90 to a hundred-something population.
Actually you can sort for profession and name (and other things, like mood) your dorfs, but I agree it could be very helpful to have a sorting from "last arrived" in the fortress, that I supposed is what Splint is saying in the end.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Actually you can sort for profession and name (and other things, like mood) your dorfs, but I agree it could be very helpful to have a sorting from "last arrived" in the fortress, that I supposed is what Splint is saying in the end.

Basically, yeah. I'm aware you can sort by name, profession, and mood (all together something I actually consider a straight positive of this release,) but I was more pointing out an investigative use for sorting by migrant wave, which presently would be most useful for finding vampires, but could also be useful for finding fugitives and other miscreants who might try to integrate into the fortress in the future. That's a bit of speculation that's out of scope for the here and now for the game though.

I'd also kind of like it so I can find my founders more easily sometimes, because I don't always remember to mark them out. Call me sentimental, but I like to treat my founders a little better than later arrivals, but I've long-since lost track of them in the fort I've been running since this release dropped.

sammoocow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I would really like it if wielded/worn artifact weapons/armor were displayed graphically on the wearer's sprite.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is gradually becoming a post filled with regular Dwarf Fortress suggestions. Might be worth considering if your suggestion wouldn't be better off in the suggestions forum as intended before posting?  More chance of it being seen there than buried in this thread, that has no guarantee of ever being read in full. 

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the Stocks screen, there's no way to tell what items are in use. In fact, I suspect that items that ARE in use don't appear in the Stocks screen at all.
I can confirm that currently used items DO appear in the stocks screen but there is no easy way to filter them out. However, if you click on the item sheet for that specific item, you can see a small symbol in it that shows that the item is tagged for a task. I don't see a reason why this symbol couldn't be added to the 5 symbols that the stocks screen already shows...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it seems like the Steam version made nest boxes more irritating to deal with.  Since you select both creatures and buildings by clicking instead of with dedicated keys, that means you can't select a nest box easily if a creature is sitting on it.  That in turn makes it annoying to forbid eggs since you have to find them in the stocks screen instead, especially since there's no indication of which nest box is which this way.

Nest boxes and eggs kind of need a lot of work in general, but that's not specific to the new release.

That said, I did notice that my kobolds were producing eggs of two different sizes.  Does anyone know if it's just random, or if the graphic indicates if they're fertile or not?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since you select both creatures and buildings by clicking instead of with dedicated keys, that means you can't select a nest box easily if a creature is sitting on it.  That in turn makes it annoying to forbid eggs since you have to find them in the stocks screen instead, especially since there's no indication of which nest box is which this way.
When you click a tile with multiple things on it, each thing on the tile gets a tab on the right side of the window.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Oh, good to know, thanks.  I'll check that when I play next.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2022, 04:54:14 pm »

- Unable to build floor hatch in 1x1 stairwell without mining out a place to stand on the side first.

Might it be due to the fact that overlapping rooms have 0 value?

Finally got around to checking this. Even with no overlap, mayor's dining room gets no value from artifact scepter on pedestal. Temple and guildhalls do.

Got a crash while removing artifact from pedestal and giving it to another. Can be avoided by saving and quitting in between placement. (Or waiting until it reaches a stockpile? Maybe it just decided not to happen again.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 05:34:03 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf Therapist had this function and it was very useful to get an idea NOW of how many migrants came and what their useful skills were, military talent, etc.  DT might be the only way to see it, as it extracts it... somehow from the game data.  Or conjectured it.  I don't know.

As for my own issue to suggest to the pile... I rather despise the new interface, Steam/classic.  The top half of the interface, with the pops/happiness/stocks/date/map, I like.  We have had reason to need a quick estimation of those values.  But the bottom half...

In particular, I don't see the reason to have the designations exploded out into it's own individual icons to crowd (while little) any part of the screen unless the designation menu was open for whatever you were up to.  Even looking at games with a similar elements (rimworld, etc) you don't see this split.  It worked for years, I don't see why not it is changing.

Similarly, the map of hotkeys has me annoyed, and the removal of keyboard navigation through all aspects of the interface.  It feels extremely slow, and the mouse a hindrance, instead of a help.

I would rather see it returned to a 0.47.x keybindings with the DFHack additions that gave some mouse usability, over the gutted controls we have now.  In the long run of a fortress I believe it's easier on the player.  Or someway to summon that traditional map of the controls and menus, and and still have the augment of mouse controls as help. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]