Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.  (Read 7454 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

When you have a big pile of things in one spot, instead of having a separate tab for each object you have just one tab will all objects. This is kind of fine, because it would be impossible to display 100 tabs, but the problem with this is that you get only partially interactive list of all objects on the spot. You can click them and open their respective views, but there's no going back to the last place you've been to. That makes reclaiming individual pieces of equipment from dump zone nearly impossible, I'd love to have dump/undump/forbid/unforbid/melt/unmelt visible on that list so that I could click it and scroll over to the next item. Having more than one item on list of 100 becomes a nightmare as you have to click the tile, go through the list until you find an item, click it, reclaim it, close the view, click the tile again, scroll the list to find next item and to the same thing over and over again... impossible when you accidentally dumped you steel armour stockpile or just want to claim some items from the pile of garbage that the siege brought to you.

Another thing kind of similar. There's no way to filter items by their quality/durability/whatever. Do you have 200 dwarfs and they all replaced their used clothes with new ones? Would you like to get rid of the used ones by dumping them into lava? Well, tough luck, looks like you'll have to go through the entire stock and select them one by one from the list of hundreds of clothing items with the painfully slow scroll speed : )

This is exactly what I came here to post. I was cleaning up after a goblin attack and noticed that there were no forbid/dump/melt options next to items in the giant pile, so it was basically impossible to clean everything up without clicking three times for every item to dump.

That interface already exists in plenty of other places, so it's kind of odd it doesn't exist in the "giant pile of items on this tile" menu.

You can still mass forbid/dump if you missed that option.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

booshee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

First post, new DF player, hi all:
Few missing features that even for me as a new player seem to be really life improving

-Backlog of combat logs, alerts, petitions etc.
-More event auto pauses especially when combat start
-step by step time skipping during combat with combat log open.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Not really a playability / usability bug, but we could use a way to cut creature graphics.  I just tested cutting a creature (kobold) and you get thousands of lines of errors in the error log because you can't cut creature graphics and the game doesn't know what to do with the vanilla creature graphics if you do cut a creature.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

- Combat log should send you to the most recent line instead of the old ones regarding the creature.
- Items in display furniture still don't count for room value.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Huh. Works for locations, I think?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Doesn't work for bedrooms or offices, and I'm pretty sure one or both of temples/guildhalls. Edit: It works for temples and guildhalls. Doesn't work for dining rooms.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 04:48:18 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't work for bedrooms or offices, and I'm pretty sure one or both of temples/guildhalls.
I achieved my temple request by putting an artifact on a pedestal. So they're working.
There does seem to be some bug reports of room value being capped at 2300 though, which might be what you're seeing.

--
Edit,
Oh the pedestal itself? Ah think that's been a bug since pedestals were introduced.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:23:44 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Might it be due to the fact that overlapping rooms have 0 value?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Re: Tutorial

While we can choose to bypass the tutorial, every new embark put the individual category tip/advice windows up so we need to choose to not see them again, every time.  Can we please get a settings option to turn off those permanently AND turn off the tutorial option at the same time permanently?

Stockpiles management:

If we select the custom button, can we have all the other buttons turned off unless the custom button is clicked again to disable it?  I have redone my main warehouse over and over and over and over due to being tired and clicking "weapons" or something when it's all set up under custom.  Or at least, a warning that clicking a category button will wipe the custom settings and force a confirmation?

Also, a category (like the quality one) in stockpiles for item wear status (x, xx, X, XX, etc) would help us deal with worn clothes, beat-up armor, etc.

Bone helm, etc, not a material option in uniforms (useful in early training/sparring).

Along with that a "melt" button in stockpiles would make melting down goblinite easier to manage.  So far I can only select each item and toggle the items one at a time (am I missing something?)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 06:01:05 pm by vonsch »

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another thing I've just noticed is that despite generally liking the idea of the work details I think some of the job priorities need some work too. Having someone assigned to be a planter and plant gatherer, but he's a carpenter - he goes out and gathers plants instead of making beds. Same for miners, masons, etc.
I want him to be able to do these things if there's nothing important to do, but not make it his highest priority. And I don't necessarily want to make all my early dwarves specialized in their one task like woodcutting or mining because if there are no trees I need to cut right now he should go do other things, not sit around with no job.

Edit: Also with hauling, with it set to "everyone does this" I had several stockpiles sitting empty for ages, cooked food in the kitchen rotting.. but with "only selected do this" and enabling it for everyone, suddenly my stockpiles get filled up super quick. Feels like it shouldn't make a difference.. And with hauling enabled my miner refuses to mine and just goes and fills stockpiles.

Also, wtf. Just told my off-duty militia commander who is a carpenter to go kill some giant thrips. He goes to the armour stockpile, drops his axe, and goes to attack them unarmoured and with no weapon. I don't remember military dwarves being so suicidal in the past.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 12:50:38 am by ayy1337 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

cannot 'v'iew items in trade screen, unable to see book topics before purchase

separate skill tabs are a questionable idea, resulting in multiple clicks

lack of non-orthogonal designations

beds are multiple colors even when made from same wood (perhaps a taste thing, but this breaks my immersion . . are the dwarves buying sheets from Ikea when we aren't looking?!)

trade screen no longer groups all crafts together... annoying

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, wtf. Just told my off-duty militia commander who is a carpenter to go kill some giant thrips. He goes to the armour stockpile, drops his axe, and goes to attack them unarmoured and with no weapon. I don't remember military dwarves being so suicidal in the past.

Was he also a lumberjack? Lumberjacking and mining don't mix well with military service.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was he also a lumberjack? Lumberjacking and mining don't mix well with military service.

Whoops my bad, yes I meant to write lumberjack. And why not? Guy's already got an axe haha. Maybe I'm wrong but in the non steam version don't inactive military dwarves still try to remain equipped with their gear?

Edit: I think I've figured it out. If you look in schedule, 'off duty' (which is the default) specifies that squad members only carry equipment when given orders. 'Ready' specifies they keep equipment on them regularly instead.
I would suggest that this is a very bad default, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 07:49:21 pm by ayy1337 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Whoops my bad, yes I meant to write lumberjack. And why not? Guy's already got an axe haha. Maybe I'm wrong but in the non steam version don't inactive military dwarves still try to remain equipped with their gear?

Edit: I think I've figured it out. If you look in schedule, 'off duty' (which is the default) specifies that squad members only carry equipment when given orders. 'Ready' specifies they keep equipment on them regularly instead.
I would suggest that this is a very bad default, for obvious reasons.

"Why not" is because woodcutting is coded as a military uniform, same as it's been for the last 12 years.

Multihog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

In addition to being able to advance the game one step at a time, we should be able to have the combat log visible while doing that. That's the only way to truly follow the combat as it unfolds.

So we need:
1. Persistent combat log like in the old game. This would probably be best presented as a fullscreen thing.
2. A combat log that can be open while the combat is playing out. The current "mini popup log" could be used for that, but it should be made draggable so that you can place it wherever you want.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7