Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Assembled Collection of Minor Issues with Steam Release + possible solutions.  (Read 7461 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

Looks like someone beat me to it - was gonna make a similar thread compiling feedback from players, veterans in particular, so that there's an organized place that Toady can look at and find a way to have some middle ground so that new players can more easily familiarize themselves and the veterans aren't alienated due to missing functions. This isn't supposed to be a debate starter, or a whiny "dis game sux now its all ruined" post, merely constructive criticism - as someone who deeply enjoys this game, I want it to keep being successful and not fall into the trap of "alienate your old audience in favor of seeking a new one".

Here's what me and Splint have gotten so far, both from our sessions and from talking to some people in the unofficial DF discord:
Spoiler: TUTORIAL (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ZONES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: UI/ORGANIZATION (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ALERTS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: KEYBINDS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OTHER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: STOCKPILES (click to show/hide)
I will talk to more people later, get their opinions on things and post them here. I hope this is helpful.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:26:57 pm by ZM5 »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Site finder could be improved by adding some more "not" options (e.g., "not evil," "not savage" ) and by adding volcano as a searchable option.

Similarly the tutorial should probably screen out evil and savage biomes.

The old export world function seems to be gone.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:30:53 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--You have no option to mark things individually for dumping from the main screen anymore.

I just cleared up a hallway by clicking on the dead bodies and clicking the dump button. Bodies were carried off to the corpse pile.
What is this referring to exactly?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

--You have no option to mark things individually for dumping from the main screen anymore.

I just cleared up a hallway by clicking on the dead bodies and clicking the dump button. Bodies were carried off to the corpse pile.
What is this referring to exactly?

I stand corrected (I was the one having this issue) because frankly I didn't even notice the little tabs on the side. Before you could scroll through the window showing all the crap in a pile, without clicking on it per se, and hit 'd' to dump a specific item. I was in a hurry because I needed to have some corpses removed ASAP before they started to produce miasma and so failed to notice the little tabs off to the side.

This doesn't change that there could very well end up far more of those tabs than the window has space for on the side due to a sheer volume of items and severed bits, and as yet I don't know how the game will handle that issue, and killing a lot of enemies in a small area was a pretty common occurrence in the previous version.

The UI also still provides no indication of which item in a pile is marked to be dumped, only providing a dump indicator on the overall pile. So if you missed a bodypart or piece of gear you wanted gone by accident, you now have no indicator in the window showing the pile (in previous versions, each item in the pile marked to be dumped would have a magenta D next to it.)

Edited for spelling, I just woke up and retested some stuff.

EDIT: It should be noted, some of what's there in ZM5's post didn't come solely from experienced players. I went through a tutorial fort with a friend who'd never played before, and they came to some of the same conclusions and had some complaints regarding the lack of keyboard controls in some areas and lack of UI organization in others, such as in the setting menu with changing hotkeys.

Foxblade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

There's a loss of ability to view descriptions of things in-game. For example, you can no longer view descriptions of deities that the dwarves worship or descriptions of organizations they belong to.

edit: Also, are items missing from the Trade Depot? It seems a lot of things like Mugs, crowns, and other trade goods are missing.
1) Gods are on each dwarf's relationships screen, same as 47.05

2) Year 1 wagon? Today mentioned that they would bring a lot less than they used to, gradually bringing more stuff as your reputation grows.

So, neither of these are an issue in 59.02.

re: 1) The issue isn't seeing which god they worship, but rather being able to see a description of the god or groups the character belongs to. For example, I used to be able to go k > enter > r > (v)iew the relationship and it would provide a description. As far as I can tell in the new UI, there is no way to examine this relationship now.

There's also no way to view descriptions of the various groups they belong to, but I believe this screen is new (correct me if I'm wrong), so not being able to view them feels like an oversight.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 12:26:32 pm by Foxblade »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam

In regards to the groups, that was in the old description menu, just part of the wall of text.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

- Can't find creature descriptions. I can see an animal's thoughts and personality, though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:41:28 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam

- Can't find creature descriptions. I can see an animal's thoughts and personality, though.
Those are in the health tab now, for some reason.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game Speed.

Being able to slow the game down is an important part of accessibility. I like things slow.
As an old player, I know that Dwarf Fortress calls that FPS, even though that's not what most game players would think of. As such, it is very unintuitive for new players. I suspect that the default speed with no clear way to change it is going to make some new players bounce off the game right away. Buttons to increase and reduce the speed being next to the pause and play buttons would be a very good idea.

But the unworkaroundable problem is that if you slow it down to what is, for me, a manageable rate, the game stops recognising mouse clicks, with several attempts being necessary for it to recognise it. That's kind of making this unplayable for me right now. I never noticed it being an issue in classic.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 02:33:37 pm by Arkenor »

Gooblin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I just wanted to note a few UI issues that might seem minor, but that I think would help with an overall feeling of responsiveness and polish

Spoiler: GENERAL UI (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: DESIGNATIONS (click to show/hide)

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile

I have a fair few complaints about construction, some of which were already touched on but oh well.

• I wish there were designations for removing buildings, suspending construction, and un-suspending construction. Having to select every building in a room individually to remove it is quite tedious.
  • Speaking of suspension, it's annoying that suspended constructions (floors, walls) don't have special graphics. The only indicator that they've been suspended is maybe a notification in the left hand side of the screen and them obviously not being done when you check back on them.
  • In regards to floors and walls, I wish that trying to build rectangular areas of them wasn't considered invalid when they overlap objects like other walls and buildings. This makes it quite inconvenient to floor over say, a collection of bedrooms. I'd also just like to build under buildings like tables and doors for aesthetic purposes.
  • Having to click manually to designate that said areas of wall and floor should be made out of a singular material is also quite bothersome. It should go unsaid that having to click a few dozen times in a row is bad. Fixed as of 50.03!
  • I also wish removing designations for to-be-constructed floors and walls used the Eraser tool instead of the remove construction designator that's also used for finished walls and floors as well as stairs and ramps. When trying to remove blueprints currently you run the risk of marking floors and walls you don't want removed to be removed.

I also have quarrels with search bars and text input.

• Firstly I wish more menus had a search bar, such as the Creature menus. With how many dwarves are in forts it would be nice to be able to search for them by name. The military screen could also benefit from a search bar and other places could but I can't give an exhaustive list.
  • Workshop search bars only look through the presently visible set of possible jobs and doesn't iterate through submenus. This makes it rather annoying when you want to order a single steel sword made but have to click through multiple options cuz you can't just search for the relevant job.
  • Finally, it would just be nice to have common text related keyboard combos work like Ctrl + Backspace deleting a whole word or Ctrl + A be able to highlight an entire field.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 12:59:36 pm by PetMudstone »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile

I'd really like to be able to cancel a designation I've started to do by right-clicking instead of hitting escape and having to have the whole designation menu close.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

- Hospitals now need to be converted from meeting areas. This is nonsensical, as hospitals aren't social spaces, and basically adds an additional step to setting up a hospital zone. In previous versions, hospitals were designated separately.

This is not true. You can assign any location from any zone, as you would know if you had... literally tried at all, or indeed paid attention to the UI in any respect. I usually use a water source zone for my hospital.

This isn't me having had a bunch of experience early talking, I noticed this the instant I realized I had to make a hospital, that every single zone can now be assigned to locations. Meeting areas are not required for this.

I'm annoyed not because you didn't know--that's fair--but because you didn't bother to check at all before complaining about it online, which always nettles me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:25:26 pm by Putnam »

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I was curious about why it was offering me the option to make my pasture a temple. Good to know.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

- Minecart, jug, etc., sprites turn invisible when items are inside.
- If the game autosaves when you're in a menu, the saving progress bar appears to never complete and only goes away once you Esc or right click. (I have it set to autopause on save if that makes a difference.)
- Key binds don't show modifiers in the bindings screen. E.g., Shift+Mouse4 just shows Mouse4 for scrolling multiple z-levels at once.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:57:58 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7